Do We Get Red Light In A Sunny Room?

RWilly

I know most newer windows block UV light, but I'm wondering if we still have red light exposure if we spend time in a sunny room. And if so, would it matter if it was direct sun? Could a northern facing window provide red light exposure?

OP
RWilly

RWilly

Found this image credit Penn State Astronomy & Astrophysics

atmos_windows_KL.jpg

So I suppose we'd be getting red light, even with a Northern exposure.

RealNeat

I've always been curious to the implications of this for people wearing glasses and contact lenses. They essentially almost always have "processed" light exposure where the eyes are concerned. Vlight has also shown at 360-400nm to halt myopia. I must wear glasses but that's it, I don't wear contacts as at least the glasses have space on the sides for natural light to seep through. Plus contact wearers can have feces microbes in the eyes :depressed:

Violet Light Exposure Can Be a Preventive Strategy Against Myopia Progression

Lilac

The
I've always been curious to the implications of this for people wearing glasses and contact lenses.

The same concerns would apply to people who have had cataract surgery. And those lenses you can't take off, for a dose of natural--full spectrum--sunlight. I thought Ray said something about this in his article "Cataracts: Water, Energy, Light, and Aging," but I just checked it and didn't find that topic.

I take my sunglasses off now from time to time and hold them in my hand.

RealNeat

We gather from RP that skin/eye issues are contributed to by PUFA + UV and DR. Sharon Moalem may have some important research to add to this convo.

“Sunglasses make the brain think it’s dark and this means you’re not starting the natural process of tanning,” he told Express.co.uk.

“You’re more likely to burn and therefore at more risk of skin cancer.”

”Light in the eye is an important factor. It helps to short-circuit the body’s natural defence mechanism against the sun.”

Sunglasses Increase Risk of Sunburn and Skin Cancer

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals