Do supplements tax the liver?

Deborah888

Fwiw, I have taken over 30 supplements per day for 15 years. Just had a cmp blood test and all my numbers were perfect, including liver numbers. I THOUGHT they wouldn't be but it turns out my gallbladder was just acting up due to residual symptoms from a fad diet I tried about a year ago now. (Taking chanca piedra and peppermint tea for that now!). My liver numbers have always been fine thankfully. I am very careful with fats, liver toxins, etc. And, I am extremely careful about supplement ingredients and dosages, keeping alarms, pillboxes, and a diary of any symptoms. (My CBC numbers were NOT perfect though because I'm anemic, however, so now I'm dealing with that).

I sometimes think I'm crazy taking this much but each one I take has helped me in some way. Also, when you look at some multivitamins/minerals, they can have 20 different nutrients in them. I take those separately, in the most absorbable form I can, away from anything else that will interfere with its absorption. So my "stack" is mainly comprised of what people take in a daily multi anyway.

I also have looked up each supplement (especially any herbs) to see if they are toxic to the liver or kidneys in the dose I need. If you aren't willing to do research or get your liver enzymes tested you are right to worry, though.

Oh I once od'd on something accidentally because I was taking an adrenal complex that had a small amount of licorice in it. Over time that licorice built up! So I also stay away from multi-ingredient supplements now. Too much to keep track of.

Eberhardt

I would say they usually does. I try to minimize it but I also have a compromized liver. At least all who isnt really a nutrient but has some druglike effect like herbs and pharmaceuticals. Of course this is generalized

Deborah888

What were the symptoms of the build up? Thinking of dosing licorice because I've once again ruined my adrenals with a bout of coffee use.
My symptoms were edema, high BP, urinating a LOT, and overall weakness. I thought my hormonal issues were getting worse. But my blood and urine tests showed pseudohyperaldosteronism - from licorice ingestion (which included low potassium and high sodium). It was just a small amount in the "Adrenal Complex" supplement I took, but over a long period of time it built up. My symptoms all went away after a few weeks (after stopping).

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals