Do restaurants serve real eggs?

Birdie

A while back I'd asked the staff about the eggs served in the free breakfasts at a hotel.
The woman took me into the kitchen to read the label on the egg product mixture.
Being gluten-free, I found they wouldn't work. Amazing ingredients.

So, this past car trip, I began to check the eggs in restaurants.
A lot of them used the packaged egg product.
When I'd explain my allergies, they would make me "cracked eggs" or "real eggs."

But the menu said eggs. Wow.
Oh, and in a couple of places, I'd hear the cook yell, "real eggs cooked in butter!"
Denny's said they didn't have any butter btw.

HDD

Birdie said:
A while back I'd asked the staff about the eggs served in the free breakfasts at a hotel.
The woman took me into the kitchen to read the label on the egg product mixture.
Being gluten-free, I found they wouldn't work. Amazing ingredients.

So, this past car trip, I began to check the eggs in restaurants.
A lot of them used the packaged egg product.
When I'd explain my allergies, they would make me "cracked eggs" or "real eggs."

But the menu said eggs. Wow.
Oh, and in a couple of places, I'd hear the cook yell, "real eggs cooked in butter!"
Denny's said they didn't have any butter btw.

Thanks for that info, Birdie. I never would have suspected that they didn't use real eggs in restaurants unless you specifically ask for them. Wow!

I have eaten at local seafood restaurant and asked for real butter for my potato and since they didn't use real butter, I opted for sour cream. They brought me a package of butter substitute and a package of sour cream plus junk. :( I really need to remember to bring coconut oil to put on baked potatoes.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
The food supply is hardly even food anymore. :( Even if they serve real eggs just look at the conditions the chickens are kept in and the food they are fed. It's all such a mess, Birdie. :(

Sorry to be such a pessimist this morning. :cry:

Asimov

Beware of "scrambled" eggs at cheap places, especially AYCE scrambled eggs. They are almost certain powdered eggs, which are spray dried droplets of extruder pressed whole eggs that become insanely oxidized and damaged right at the factory. They are then taken to another factory where they're formed into scrambled egg molds, rehydrated, and cooked again (probably further damaging them).

They're then finally put in a plastic bag (fully cooked), loaded on a truck (probably with refridgeration) and shipped to the Motel 6 where they microwave them directly in the plastic and dump them into a warming tray.

With eggs, I think the best bet is to ask for whole poached eggs. That way you know for certain it's cooked in water and not PUFA and that it is in fact a whole egg. A friend of mine asks for scrambled eggs with "no oil or butter, and I know they'll be burnt and I don't care".