Do Raw Carrots Make You Hungry?

lvysaur

They work well for me with regards to mood and digestion. They also make me hungrier than before I ate them.

Anyone else? Any suggestions why?

milk_lover

Speculating here, but I think I read somewhere here that lowering estrogen and serotonin (by raw carrots, supposedly) could make you hungry. Lowering both could also increase metabolism.

Elle

Carrot salad makes me hungrier, but bamboo salad seems to help suppress my appetite. When I finish a serving of carrot salad, I just want to eat more and more. When I eat bamboo salad, sometimes it's all I can do to finish it. But that could just be because I don't find it particularly appetizing. But it's bamboo or nothing as I found that I'm still intolerant of carrots. I also eat a lot more salt with bamboo salad--perhaps that's part of it, too?

I try not to drink anything but water, if that, around the time I eat carrot/bamboo salad because I assumed it may interfere with its effectiveness. Was that an incorrect assumption? Should I just avoid consuming other foods around it and not worry about liquids?

OP
lvysaur

lvysaur

Carrot salad makes me hungrier, but bamboo salad seems to help suppress my appetite. When I finish a serving of carrot salad, I just want to eat more and more. When I eat bamboo salad, sometimes it's all I can do to finish it. But that could just be because I don't find it particularly appetizing. But it's bamboo or nothing as I found that I'm still intolerant of carrots. I also eat a lot more salt with bamboo salad--perhaps that's part of it, too?

I try not to drink anything but water, if that, around the time I eat carrot/bamboo salad because I assumed it may interfere with its effectiveness. Was that an incorrect assumption? Should I just avoid consuming other foods around it and not worry about liquids?

It's interesting you say that, because I've always found raw carrots to be extremely hard to swallow, which is not even remotely the case with cooked bamboo. Bamboo shoots are appetizing when cooked, and I've assumed this to mean that they are more nutritious, while carrots might be anti-nutritious.

This fits with the carrot hunger phenomenon.
I've never eaten bamboo shoots alone, only in stir fries, so I can't accurately say what their effects are.

Your "intolerance" to carrot may be a die-off phenomenon. I've found that carrots either make me feel better immediately, or make me feel worse and then better.

tara

My guess is that clear juice probably wouldn't interfere with the effectiveness, but that significant amounts of fibre or starch would?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals