Do ice cream, cheese, yogurt , cream and other dairy products come from vitamin fortified milk?

Dr. B

Recently there has been a lot of discussion both here and on Dannys videos regarding these emulsifiers/filler ingredients present in vitamin additives in milk products. I think Ray and others have said they like the haagen dazs brand of ice cream as well, which is understandable since its ingredients list is often very clean and free of gums, stabilizers, etc.

However I was wondering does the cream and skim milk used in haagen dazs/other ice creams come from vitamin fortified milk? from my understanding milk only needs to be vitamin fortified if its being sold as milk. If its being used for cream, half and half, cheese, and yogurt, it does not need to be vitamin fortified? Cheese seems to be available in raw form many places so that for sure doesnt need to come from fortified milk however, similar to milk; yogurt and cream do seem to be available only in pasteurized forms. hopefully there are ice creams available which dont come from fortified milks otherwise these vitamin mixtures and fillers would be leeching in through products like haagen dazs.

modern day cheese and yogurt production methods have their own sets of issues according to Ray but I havent heard him say anything bad about cream, although he actually just found out about the vitamin filler ingredients just a few months back as well. it seems currently there are no safe sources of dairy besides a non fortified whole milk and maybe ice cream.

Recently there has been a lot of discussion both here and on Dannys videos regarding these emulsifiers/filler ingredients present in vitamin additives in milk products. I think Ray and others have said they like the haagen dazs brand of ice cream as well, which is understandable since its ingredients list is often very clean and free of gums, stabilizers, etc.

However I was wondering does the cream and skim milk used in haagen dazs/other ice creams come from vitamin fortified milk? from my understanding milk only needs to be vitamin fortified if its being sold as milk. If its being used for cream, half and half, cheese, and yogurt, it does not need to be vitamin fortified? Cheese seems to be available in raw form many places so that for sure doesnt need to come from fortified milk however, similar to milk; yogurt and cream do seem to be available only in pasteurized forms. hopefully there are ice creams available which dont come from fortified milks otherwise these vitamin mixtures and fillers would be leeching in through products like haagen dazs.

modern day cheese and yogurt production methods have their own sets of issues according to Ray but I havent heard him say anything bad about cream, although he actually just found out about the vitamin filler ingredients just a few months back as well. it seems currently there are no safe sources of dairy besides a non fortified whole milk and maybe ice cream.
I buy organic raw milk and it isn't fortified. I think it is fortified only if it is not full fat.

Attachments

• 20210529_115301.jpg
    20210529_115301.jpg
    313.8 KB · Views: 23

akgrrrl

None of the organic milk I see at Krogers 1%, 2%, or whole, is fortified. The fortified milks are in the long coolers on the walls with all the "regular" mass produced dairy product stuffs.
Our FredMeyers store has small organic farm goat and cow milk products from WA and OR in the organic section.
It appears to beg the question: if milk is really milk and good for humans, why would it need to be fortified? Isnt it supposed to nourish a 200 lb calf?
If its anything like the mass produced wheat that wasnt fit for human consumption until it was "enriched".....
Just saying, my dog will not drink a saucer of the fortified supposed milk.

None of the organic milk I see at Krogers 1%, 2%, or whole, is fortified. The fortified milks are in the long coolers on the walls with all the "regular" mass produced dairy product stuffs.
Our FredMeyers store has small organic farm goat and cow milk products from WA and OR in the organic section.
It appears to beg the question: if milk is really milk and good for humans, why would it need to be fortified? Isnt it supposed to nourish a 200 lb calf?
If its anything like the mass produced wheat that wasnt fit for human consumption until it was "enriched".....
My grass fed pasteurized whole milk isn't fortified, but grass fed pasteurized skim is fortified.

Attachments

• 20210529_195050.jpg
    20210529_195050.jpg
    329.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 20210529_195037.jpg
    20210529_195037.jpg
    337.6 KB · Views: 16
Wow. I wonder what that is about. Do you have any ideas?
I know in the US it is law to put A in reduced fat milks and apparently in Canada too!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210529-215438_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210529-215438_Samsung Internet.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 10
OP
D

Dr. B

do you have links to those. i dont know how they could do that, maybe the laws are different in states where raw milk is sold in stores. usually anything besides whole milk has to be vitamin A and D fortified. the logic used is that milk loses fat soluble vitamins as fat is removed so they require reduced fat milks to add vitamins back in.

OP
D

Dr. B

I buy organic raw milk and it isn't fortified. I think it is fortified only if it is not full fat.

im wondering about the non milk products. some ice creams or yogurts list skim milk as an ingredient for example... i think in those cases they dont have to use vitamin fortified skim milk but i wonder if they still use it anyway since its more available.

akgrrrl

im wondering about the non milk products. some ice creams or yogurts list skim milk as an ingredient for example... i think in those cases they dont have to use vitamin fortified skim milk but i wonder if they still use it anyway since its more available.
Yes thank you for the explain on less soluble fats = must be fortified. You have me really wondering now, will have to read the fine print next time I shop. And yes, the many products..a lot of people drink nut milks, grain milks, coconut milk. I dont know much about any of those. I always wondered about the ice creams too, so many ingredients and always skim milk, and or milk solids. What the.

Now that you have brought this to our attention Mr. Bollox, it seems there is more to worry about with it, besides aging, than I thought.

akgrrrl

Now that you have brought this to our attention Mr. Bollox, it seems there is more to worry about with it, besides aging, than I thought.

Oh jeez another rabbit hole. Good find Rinse.
"Only in fat free and reduced fat products.."

Birdie

So, another reason to make your own ice cream.
I used to make our yogurt, but since Peat we've cut back on that. Still even though I buy the only Greek Yogurt without the gums available here, all I can say is glad we don't eat a lot of it now.

I'm thinking about the ice cream machine idea. You are right about the cheese too of course. I'm having a hard time finding cheese made with real rennet too. Most have the synthetic rennet to appease the vegans. And there used to be a cream without gums but I can't find that anymore.

rei

You can safely ignore any speculation about negative effect of fortifying milk with vitamin d. The amounts are so miniscule they make no difference, even if it was fortified with d vitamin dissolved in pure linoleic acid.

Any other additives are not fortification, and another issue completely.

somuch4food

From my experience, they are not fortified unless they put it on the package. They must be adding the vitamins when they package the milk, not in the huge tanks that store milk. I get distinct calcification symptoms with fortified dairy that I do not get otherwise and have been fine with following labels here in Canada.

We must not forget that those vitamins are seen as positive additions that do cost money and are most likely to be put on the package because fortification is seen as a good thing by mainstream.

You can safely ignore any speculation about negative effect of fortifying milk with vitamin d. The amounts are so miniscule they make no difference, even if it was fortified with d vitamin dissolved in pure linoleic acid.

Any other additives are not fortification, and another issue completely.

Fortification in milk does affect me personally. The vitamins themselves and maybe the preservatives that can be in the vitamin solutions used by dairy companies.

rei

From my experience, they are not fortified unless they put it on the package. They must be adding the vitamins when they package the milk, not in the huge tanks that store milk. I get distinct calcification symptoms with fortified dairy that I do not get otherwise and have been fine with following labels here in Canada.

We must not forget that those vitamins are seen as positive additions that do cost money and are most likely to be put on the package because fortification is seen as a good thing by mainstream.

Fortification in milk does affect me personally. The vitamins themselves and maybe the preservatives that can be in the vitamin solutions used by dairy companies.
Prove it. Have you got same milk without fortification? I suggest you contemplate on how little the d vitamin amount added is, and how unlikely the solvent used for it at that amount could have any perceivable effect.

Maybe consider that the fortified milk you get is just shitty to begin with?

Also, you speak in plural, is there in your part of the world something else than d vitamin used as fortification?

somuch4food

Prove it. Have you got same milk without fortification? I suggest you contemplate on how little the d vitamin amount added is, and how unlikely the solvent used for it at that amount could have any perceivable effect.

Also, you speak in plural, is there in your part of the world something else than d vitamin used as fortification?
Milk fortification in Canada consists of vitamin D for all milks and also vitamin A for lower fat milks.

I can't get the same milk without fortification, it's illegal. One drop of 400iu of vitamin D in olive oil does the same and so, I can say that it's the fortification that causes the issue.

The quantity is not the matter as you already concede with other additives that are present in minute amounts in food. Why would a vitamin be so different when isolated?

OP
D

Dr. B

yeah but its tough to tell if its the vitamin A or the fillers. the vitamin A comes alongside polysorbate 80, propylene glycol because its a powder form and they need to emulsify it in the milk otherwise it would settle at the bottom and separate. those things are known carcinogens. i think Ray has supplemented huge doses of vitamin A before. but it probably does have some side effects.

I have tested out organic milks and the ones without added vitamins digest much better and dont cause any skin irritation whereas if I drink a lot of the vitamin fortified one, i get some irritated skin as well as stomach rumbling. with all these chemicals and ingredients like carrageenan, the fda and official people claim these are in small amounts thus irrelevant but that doesnt seem to be the case, and these filler ingredients even in small amounts, werent present in food items in the past. i dont think the vitamin d is causing something but rather the preservatives and emulsifiers used in the vitamin d.

rei

yeah but its tough to tell if its the vitamin A or the fillers. the vitamin A comes alongside polysorbate 80, propylene glycol because its a powder form and they need to emulsify it in the milk otherwise it would settle at the bottom and separate. those things are known carcinogens. i think Ray has supplemented huge doses of vitamin A before. but it probably does have some side effects.

I have tested out organic milks and the ones without added vitamins digest much better and dont cause any skin irritation whereas if I drink a lot of the vitamin fortified one, i get some irritated skin as well as stomach rumbling. with all these chemicals and ingredients like carrageenan, the fda and official people claim these are in small amounts thus irrelevant but that doesnt seem to be the case, and these filler ingredients even in small amounts, werent present in food items in the past. i dont think the vitamin d is causing something but rather the preservatives and emulsifiers used in the vitamin d.
you don't seem to get it, the amount of vitamin d and thus the solvent is so miniscule you have absolutely no chance of having any effect from it. You are simply reacting to sub-par milk with god knows what fillers that are entirely unrealted ot the fortification.