Do I need to worry about these cholesterol levels?

P

Peatness

Total Serum Cholesterol 6.8 mmol/L

Cholesterol: HDL ration 3.4

Serum HDL CHOLESTROL Level 2 mmol/L

Non HDL Cholesterol Level 4.8 mmol/L

OP
P

Peatness

I supplement pregnenolone (daily) and progesterone (once in a while), are these likely to have a negative or positive effect on cholesterol?

I am experimenting with thyroid at the moment, tyromix and tyronene.

What are the safe upper limits for cholesterol?

OP
P

Peatness

This extract is from Dr Peats article Cholesterol, longevity, intelligence, and health

After the age of fifty, low cholesterol is clearly associated with an increased risk of dying from a variety of causes. A study of old women indicated that a cholesterol level of 270 mg. per 100 ml. was associated with the best longevity (Forette, et al., 1989). "Mortality was lowest at serum cholesterol 7.0 mmol/l [=270.6 mg%], 5.2 times higher than the minimum at serum cholesterol 4.0 mmol/l, and only 1.8 times higher when cholesterol concentration was 8.8 mmol/l. This relation held true irrespective of age, even when blood pressure, body weight, history of myocardial infarction, creatinine clearance, and plasma proteins were taken into account." RP

I guess I dont need to worry too much about my levels but will keep an eye on how the cholesterol changes with thyroid use.

OP
P

Peatness

Was on tyronene then tyromax ( gone through 2 bottles) my cholesterol is down but I would like it to be a little bit lower

Total Serum Cholesterol 6.0 mmol/L

Serum HDL CHOLESTROL Level 1.6 mmol/L

Non HDL Cholesterol Level 4.3 mmol/L

I recently switched to tyromix because of issues with tyromax but may switch back.

Last edited by a moderator:
K

Kayaker

Depends on TSH. The lower it is, the less likely it is that more thyroid will be helpful. Low cholesterol (probably) causes suppression of TSH.

OP
P

Peatness

I might switch back to tyromax and put up with bloating. Tyromix is so difficult to dose. I'm using taurine again as well

Dave_Fit

For me based on a few Peat Interviews what I understood. I like my HDL to be at the low end of the ref range, my LDL to be at the top of the ref range, and total is kind of irrelevant but best if it's closer or toward the upper end. Exact opposite of main stream advice. The way I understand it HDL is elevated because in many cases it's attempting to clear something harmful like easily oxidized fish oil. HDL is protective in that one of its jobs is to transport harmful things, Mainstream thinks high HDL is good. This is like going to the doctor with high white blood cell counts and they say great your protection system is in over drive. They don't say that about white blood cells, they in fact know you are dealing with something like an infection or worse. The way I understand HDL is the same, it's protective but when its high it's because of some stressor or toxin etc. LDL while it is linked to CVD it's really oxidized LDL that is the problem, PUFA is a prime culprit for oxidized LDL. It makes sense that mainstream medicine doesn't like high LDL because the average person is consuming a lot of PUFA and would likely have a decent amount of oxidized LDL. Since I keep my PUFA intake very low I like the protective benefits of higher LDL knowing oxidation is minimized. This of course is just one guys opinion and not necessarily something to base your own decisions on. Both Pregnenolone and Thyroid should have a somewhat healthy lowering effect, as they use up cholesterol for multiple needed processes.

OP
P

Peatness

I agree. I approach cholesterol in a similar way. I wouldn't worry about those numbers at all if I didn't have high blood pressure and low thyroid. I'm keen to improve the conversion of cholestoreol into hormones. Been using pregnenolone for years and thyroid for about a year. Something else is missing and I can't quite work out what. Ironically my cholesterol went up after I started peating. I'm also looking into supplementing choline but can't find a supplement without silica

Dave_Fit

I have just recently been using Tyromix and Tyromax. I decided to try this based on basil temp reading. I use 2 drops Tyromix first think, one drop at lunch, one drop later afternoon. Before bed I use 1-2 drop(s) Tyromax. I didn't have any other symptom other than basil temp being low according to Broda Barnes book. I came up with this dossing trial and error. Now basil temp stays in the normal range most days. I have noticed a slight energy increase, and a little more focus or lifting of a haze you might say. I have not rechecked any bloodwork.

LUH 3417

Depends on TSH. The lower it is, the less likely it is that more thyroid will be helpful. Low cholesterol (probably) causes suppression of TSH.
What would be the case if tsh is less than 1 and cholesterol is still high?

OP
P

Peatness

I have just recently been using Tyromix and Tyromax. I decided to try this based on basil temp reading. I use 2 drops Tyromix first think, one drop at lunch, one drop later afternoon. Before bed I use 1-2 drop(s) Tyromax. I didn't have any other symptom other than basil temp being low according to Broda Barnes book. I came up with this dossing trial and error. Now basil temp stays in the normal range most days. I have noticed a slight energy increase, and a little more focus or lifting of a haze you might say. I have not rechecked any bloodwork.
This is useful thanks. I think I am dosing too high. I'm doing 2 - 3 drops twice a day and for now a bit of t3 at night. Tyromix gives me insomnia if I use at night. Those doses don't raise my temperature much

Last edited by a moderator:
K

Kayaker

What would be the case if tsh is less than 1 and cholesterol is still high?
If in this case, steroid production from cholesterol is low, then something else is causing cholesterol not to be converted. Peat mentioned vitamin A deficiency as a potential cause.

mamakitty

Was on tyronene then tyromax ( gone through 2 bottles) my cholesterol is down but I would like it to be a little bit lower

Total Serum Cholesterol 6.0 mmol/L

Serum HDL CHOLESTROL Level 1.6 mmol/L

Non HDL Cholesterol Level 4.3 mmol/L

I recently switched to tyromix because of issues with tyromax but may switch back.
Thank you so much for this update post! Update posts are so rare on this, or any, forum, really, despite people promising.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals