Do coffee and cacao reduce the absorption of all the mineral

freal

I wonder how do coffee and cacao reduce iron absorption, is it selectively just targeting iron or is it reducing absorption of all minerals like zinc or selenium?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Re: Do coffee and cacao reduce the absorption of all the min

As long as its inhibiting iron I am not going to complain. If you eat a Ray Peat "diet" you should be pretty close on nutrients.

Ben

RP said it reduces the liver content of cadmium, so it probably applies to cadmium as well. I wondered the same thing and thought about creating a thread about it. Decaf also has the effect of reducing heavy metal content. Cacao has a ton of iron if you check out the nutrition facts, and doesn't reduce its absorption, so don't eat it with something containing a lot of vitamin C because it increases the absorption of non-heme iron. It would be wise to combine cacao or chocolate with coffee to bind the iron content. Chocolate or cacao from some countries contains a lot of lead because of leaded gasoline there too, which I think coffee would help with. I don't think it binds calcium because RP recommends cream with coffee, and that would reduce the iron-binding capacity. In fact, I recall RP or someone recommending coffee with milk, and RP himself recommends cream with coffee.

OP
F

freal

Ben said:
RP said it reduces the liver content of cadmium, so it probably applies to cadmium as well. I wondered the same thing and thought about creating a thread about it. Decaf also has the effect of reducing heavy metal content. Cacao has a ton of iron if you check out the nutrition facts, and doesn't reduce its absorption, so don't eat it with something containing a lot of vitamin C because it increases the absorption of non-heme iron. It would be wise to combine cacao or chocolate with coffee to bind the iron content. Chocolate or cacao from some countries contains a lot of lead because of leaded gasoline there too, which I think coffee would help with. I don't think it binds calcium because RP recommends cream with coffee, and that would reduce the iron-binding capacity. In fact, I recall RP or someone recommending coffee with milk, and RP himself recommends cream with coffee.

So cacao does not reduce iron absorption, but studies show its better then coffee at it. So are green and black tea.

Ben

I didn't find any such studies on a search engine. Would you provide these studies?

jyb

Ben said:
Cacao has a ton of iron if you check out the nutrition facts, and doesn't reduce its absorption, so don't eat it with something containing a lot of vitamin C because it increases the absorption of non-heme iron.

Are you sure the iron in cacao can be absorbed? Also cacao has caffeine...

OP
F

freal

Ben said:
I didn't find any such studies on a search engine. Would you provide these studies?

Well, I also cant find a direct study showing that coffee reduces heme iron absorption. Only non heme iron. But there are a lot of organizations saying and telling about studies that cocoa, tea and coffee reduce iron absorption. But if it does not reduce heme iron absorption that means they are useless if you drink it with meat thinking you will absorb less iron.