Do Cells Have Consciousness And Intelligence?

milk_lover

I watched a video on youtube (Richard Dawkins irritated by irrationality) in which Deepak and Richard Dawkins were debating about human cells and atoms intelligence/consciousness/purpose. Dawkins was a little defensive about his mechanistic ideology of cells and was totally against cells intelligence dismissing what Deepak brings to the discussion. He Came off to me as close minded, which he accuses religious people to be. What do you think guys?

DaveFoster

It's odd to think of cells as conscious. Consciousness occurs at higher levels of biological complexity. You wouldn't say a rock is conscious even though a rock and cell are both made up of atoms.

michael94

That's the mainstream view Dave and what Dawkins was arguing for. However, I don't think things are so black and white when you get into quantum physics. I'm not even sure whether cells have consciousness or not but I think any supposedly coherent view of matter/life, when not considering the implications of quantum mechanics, is incomplete.

something to consider: Nonlocal Hidden-Variable Theories and Quantum Mechanics: An Incompatibility Theorem - Springer

you will also want to look into Bell's inequality and all the work done on that

Last edited:
Ends with standing ovation for the two :tearsofjoy:

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals