OP
B

blob69

Actually that was the prophet Mohammed. He respected cats so much because a cat once saved his life. A poisonous snake was sneaking up behind him while he was praying and a cat killed it. That‘s why cats are allowed in mosques and why islamic countries like turkey take good care of street cats, lots of people go out everyday and feed them.

There is a nice movie „Kedi“ about how people live together with street cats in Istanbul. This is a little excerpt:

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IwrBfcv0EhE

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lKq7UqplcL8

Thanks for sharing, I will definitely have a look!

I was researching Turkish Angoras because the father of one of our kitties looks like he is of this beautiful breed. The kitty is white and odd-eyed (and quite an adorable character) and I read that Mohammed's cat was Angora and odd-eyed too. I never saw a cat with such eyes here in Europe before, but in Islamic countries they seem to appreciate the trait.

Odd-eyed_Turkish_Angora_cat_-_20080830.jpg

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAK4TmuFpME

K

Kaur Singh

Thank you for asking Peat about a good cat diet and sharing!
(I saw on the other thread)

I also took in a street cat that had a spine injury.
Afraid of humans, hissing etc.
With time she became a garden cat, still fearful, got a bit better with the injury after a few years.
Then she had some kind of illness, and was wasting away with cachexia.
Taking her to the vet, out of the question just from the trauma alone.
I received guidance from someone with decades experience looking after feral cats.
Chicken liver. Egg yolk. Cream.
She was going through periods where she would throw up, always the cat food, never the liver, etc.
So I started chicken wings and the broth, can cook it with a bit of rice if not eating any cat food at all, for carbs.
She started putting on weight, the gunk in her eyes gone, etc.
Most amazing, how she has regained mobility in her tail, and the personality changes.
She now plays, with us, with other cats. And I can pet her and hold her, etc.
It was a very big leap in about a year.
The person looking after feral cats said the same, she was so amazed how their health could turn around with better food
that she started doing the same for her own health.

This was before learning about Peat's writings.

I have been wondering about more calcium, and trying different things.
So far they are not convinced by the milk. Cream it is for them, it seems.
They like yogurt too. Cottage cheese they lick the liquid and leave the curds.
I know one cat that likes butter...

Last edited by a moderator:

Ben.

And most importantly, if there is a species that is dangerously overbreeding, it's us humans, but I don't see people rushing for mass sterilization. It would be best to quickly sterilize all Africans, Albanians... too according to this logic, right?

Dont you worry, people are increasingly getting more and more infertile. Until then we birth more and more damaged people.
Remember, the vaccines are safe, so is plastic ... and pesticides ...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovKw6YjqSfM

OP
B

blob69

Thank you for asking Peat about a good cat diet and sharing!
(I saw on the other thread)

I also took in a street cat that had a spine injury.
Afraid of humans, hissing etc.
With time she became a garden cat, still fearful, got a bit better with the injury after a few years.
Then she had some kind of illness, and was wasting away with cachexia.
Taking her to the vet, out of the question just from the trauma alone.
I received guidance from someone with decades experience looking after feral cats.
Chicken liver. Egg yolk. Cream.
She was going through periods where she would throw up, always the cat food, never the liver, etc.
So I started chicken wings and the broth, can cook it with a bit of rice if not eating any cat food at all, for carbs.
She started putting on weight, the gunk in her eyes gone, etc.
Most amazing, how she has regained mobility in her tail, and the personality changes.
She now plays, with us, with other cats. And I can pet her and hold her, etc.
It was a very big leap in about a year.
The person looking after feral cats said the same, she was so amazed how their health could turn around with better food
that she started doing the same for her own health.

This was before learning about Peat's writings.

I have been wondering about more calcium, and trying different things.
So far they are not convinced by the milk. Cream it is for them, it seems.
Wow that is interesting, thanks for sharing! What were you feeding the cat before? The diet is so important and I think store-bought stuff is getting worse by the year, with cheap oils, additives etc. I've been wondering about giving my cats chicken wings & skin (liver they already get) but wasn't sure how to prepare this. How do you prepare the wings and broth, do they eat the bones too? Do you give any meat raw? Is it just ordinary chicken or do you buy organic/free range?

boris

.So far they are not convinced by the milk. Cream it is for them, it seems.
One of my cats literally runs away from milk. But he‘ll drink a whole bowl of milk if there‘s some liver in it.

I just pour the milk directly into all their meat meals now. I stir it up a bit so the milk has more of the meat flavour.

K

Kaur Singh

One of my cats literally runs away from milk. But he‘ll drink a whole bowl of milk if there‘s some liver in it.

I just pour the milk directly into all their meat meals now. I stir it up a bit so the milk has more of the meat flavour.

good tip!
Thank you

K

Kaur Singh

Wow that is interesting, thanks for sharing! What were you feeding the cat before? The diet is so important and I think store-bought stuff is getting worse by the year, with cheap oils, additives etc. I've been wondering about giving my cats chicken wings & skin (liver they already get) but wasn't sure how to prepare this. How do you prepare the wings and broth, do they eat the bones too? Do you give any meat raw? Is it just ordinary chicken or do you buy organic/free range?

before = regular ol' cat food.

Chicken wings with skin and all, boiled with enough water to cover them.
I do scoop out the oil (because PUFA content, maybe).
They seem to prefer if cooked for not too long, the meat is softer and more hydrated.
Longer cooking = dry meat.
The broth is not as gelatinous.
I mushed up the rice, broth and chicken. One liked it, the other one didn't.
The bones are too hard for them to eat
I guess one could cook them longer , after removing the wings from the broth.
I've been saving them up for a big batch.

I reckon one can throw in other organs and a neck or two.
You can also save the broth for yourself.
I tend to warm up the meat a little bit when i serve it to them, just a bit.

Liver: raw - I warm it up a bit with hot water.
Organs that are too chewy I will cook a bit if it makes it easier for them to eat.

Whatever I eat, they get a bit.
They love beef liver and turkey.
Though I haven't been eating meat myself.

I figure that even if not organic, it's much healthier than the cat food.

A long time ago, when we lived in an area with a fish monger, we had a cat that loved fresh sardines, raw.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
B

blob69

before = regular ol' cat food.

Chicken wings with skin and all, boiled with enough water to cover them.
I do scoop out the oil (because PUFA content, maybe).
They seem to prefer if cooked for not too long, the meat is softer and more hydrated.
Longer cooking = dry meat.
The broth is not as gelatinous.
I mushed up the rice, broth and chicken. One liked it, the other one didn't.
The bones are too hard for them to eat
I guess one could cook them longer , after removing the wings from the broth.
I've been saving them up for a big batch.

I reckon one can throw in other organs and a neck or two.
You can also save the broth for yourself.
I tend to warm up the meat a little bit when i serve it to them, just a bit.

Liver: raw - I warm it up a bit with hot water.
Organs that are too chewy I will cook a bit if it makes it easier for them to eat.

Whatever I eat, they get a bit.
They love beef liver and turkey.
Though I haven't been eating meat myself.

I figure that even if not organic, it's much healthier than the cat food.

A long time ago, when we lived in an area with a fish monger, we had a cat that loved fresh sardines, raw.
Thanks a lot, this is very useful and an inspiration to myself to finally try giving them chicken I've been avoiding due to possible PUFA content (good tip about scooping the oils). According to Peat skin contains beneficial hormones so I guess this could be what is helping too. It's one thing my cats have not been getting so far.

How long do you cook the broth then?

As for milk, my cats are not crazy about it either, they seem to prefer cheese. They will usually drink some if pure, but not a lot. Like Boris I also mix it up with meat and then it tastes better.

K

Kaur Singh

I think it was about 30-40 minutes last time I cooked a batch (two kilos of wings)

I was thinking, the milk I tried was 1%. Since they like the 10% cream, maybe 3% milk they'll like.
It's more affordable than cream...

I wonder if they do drink it, and just a bit, it may be that is what they need.

jnklheimer

Some cats live long on commercial "food" products, but so do humans. All canned and kibble cat food I can buy at the petstore is absolutely terrible. 99% of them contain grains. Kibble does not "clean" a cats teeth, it cakes them up and causes dental problems. And the few "good" products without grains have other undiserable stuff in them (PUFA oils, chicken fat, cheap vitamins). Commercial cat food is the perfect way to create a recurring customer at the vet.

I used to make my own with the popular "B.A.R.F" raw recipes and they are equally horrible, way too much iron, no vitamin D recommended. My cats got lipofuscin spots on the temples, dull furr and runny eyes from it, often they would puke because the acidic taurine supplements would react with the eggshell, once a year they got a cold. I slowly dropped all the BARF supplements bit by bit. In the end I used just meat and eggshell, they never got sick again, but their fur was still dull and they would shed a lot. The eggshell then gave one of my cats eczema (maybe an allergy induced by adding vitamin D in MCT oil). I dropped it too.

I experimented a lot and now have the best results with about 60/40 raw beef + low fat milk, still figuring out the balance, I haven't checked the calcium to phosphorus ratio. Almost every day a little bit of liver mixed in some milk. Some pure dried beef heart or pig intestine or gouda cheese as a treat. Some sardines once a week. They are never sick and their fur is silky smooth like that of a kitten. I only plan to add some vitamin D in olive oil and maybe some gelatin.

Wasn't he referring to dogs? I thought cats can't really taste sweet things. Anyways, lactose is the perfect carb for cats :).
The high end dog and cat foods at the vet had calcium aluminate in them. 99.999% of pet food is poison

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals