Do Carbonated/acidic Beverages Help Protein Digestion In Low Stomach Acid Environment?

OP
A

Astolfo

No I doubt they do.
I remember that coke has a ph of about 2,5, but if you say so. It’s still pretty alkaline compared to stomach acid though.

A bit of apple cider vinegar may help.

Could you give more precise numbers please? Im planning to drink a bit ACV after protein rich meals but i don’t know how much i should drink and whether is it worth the taste and the money i paid for.
Also do you think it would work in case of histidine deficiency related low stomach acid which is also related to low histidine?

Btw,

Ox-bile, betaine HCL, histidine; not any of them is being sold here so that’s my answer if you advise me to take them instead.

And what about a bit of lemon juice? Does it have the same effect? (~25 mL, 1 lemon)

S-VV

Yes, they do. I always drink some coke with a meat heavy meal, and notice an easier, less strained, digestion.

JudiBlueHen

Forum Supporter
Coke is definitely helpful for my digestion with a protein-rich or heavy meal. Best OTC digestive aid ever, for me, and I was diagnosed with low stomach acid many decades ago (via Heidelburg capsule).

Coke slows down the emptying of the stomach. Food sits in the stomach longer, which is probably why if you are low stomach acid, the food is sitting there longer and getting processed well due to the extra time of exposure to (weakened) HCl.

1 or 2 tablespoons of ACV seems to help a lot of people. I remember Natedawgh here said that neutralizing it with baking soda to create sodium acetate was also quite helpful.

Jkbp

Forum Supporter
I drink apple cigar vinegar (diluted with water) with meals and have seen a huge improvement in my digestion/reflux.

Jkbp

Forum Supporter
I was recently diagnosed with Barrett’s Esophagus, after an endoscopy. I’ve had chronic reflux/sore throat for the last year and half. I was told to take PPI’s for a year and then do another endoscopy. I stayed on PPI’s for 6 weeks and got worse! That’s when I decided I need to battle this naturally. I started taking enzymes with every meal and probiotics 2ce a day. This helped some. Then I started drinking apple cider vinegar with every meal and I can’t believe how much that has helped me. I haven’t had a sore throat since the day I started the ACV. If you want, I can send photo of my enzymes. I’ve tried many, and the ones I’m taking now with every meal seem the work best

I was recently diagnosed with Barrett’s Esophagus, after an endoscopy. I’ve had chronic reflux/sore throat for the last year and half. I was told to take PPI’s for a year and then do another endoscopy. I stayed on PPI’s for 6 weeks and got worse! That’s when I decided I need to battle this naturally. I started taking enzymes with every meal and probiotics 2ce a day. This helped some. Then I started drinking apple cider vinegar with every meal and I can’t believe how much that has helped me. I haven’t had a sore throat since the day I started the ACV. If you want, I can send photo of my enzymes. I’ve tried many, and the ones I’m taking now with every meal seem the work best

how inspiring, thank you so much. I sometimes get heartburn and just today I had a meal and took some apple cider vinegar with it after having heartburn earlier and I had no issues at all. I will have to make this a habit. Thanks again.

Jessie

The ACV is a staple for many with low acid. Papaya can also help, because it has many enzymes in it that are needed for the breakdown of meat. Pretty sure pineapple works in a similar fashion. Betain is excellent, because it encourages the production of your own stomach acid. I could also see how coke may help as well. I do agree with ecstatichamster, that it can slow the processing time. This is true for any ice cold beverage. Letting your coke warm to room temperature would help this, albeit probably not as enjoyable.

GutFeeling

Pepsin can't be activated on a high pH stage so I guess that coke can be pretty useful, as it is almost as acidic as the stomach acid.

Energy drinks that contains caffeine and taurine should be even better as both help proper stomach acid production.

Betaine HCl is a great supplement for low stomach acid.

OP
A

Astolfo

Awesome, thanks for all replies.

@ecstatichamster Do you think sodium metabisulphite is a dangerous additive? Organic ACV is so expensive so i can only afford the one im using now. It has the additive i mentioned above.

SOMO

Stay away from Sodium Metabisulfite, some people are hyper-sensitive to this one ingredient.

Anecdotal, but Sodium Metabisulfite is the ONLY preservative I have ever reacted to. Ever.

I've eaten plenty of processed food by Nestle and Lays and Monsanto with artificial colors and preservatives, ate plenty of PUFA-laden chips with MSG added, and was fine...I have never had a bad reaction until I tried Goya Coconut Milk with Sodium Metabisulfite.

I literally thought I was dying and had to lay outside in the sun for HOURS while my heart pounded as though I was jogging, and the entire time I was so nauseous I tried to lay upside down to force myself to vomit, but relief only came after 2-3 hours of feeling like I was dying.

Another time I ate a bunch of Coconut Macaroons made with Sodium Metabisulfite and my testicles swelled up for days - 10/10 pain - and the only relief came from Prednisolone/Cortisol pills, which I would never have taken in any other situation.

Motif

Coke is definitely helpful for my digestion with a protein-rich or heavy meal. Best OTC digestive aid ever, for me, and I was diagnosed with low stomach acid many decades ago (via Heidelburg capsule).
Whatelse Helps you the most ?

JudiBlueHen

Forum Supporter
Hmmm...not much else. I do take Pepcid at bedtime when my cough (probably a form of silent reflux) gets bad and it seems to help somewhat, plus it does not have any negative side effects for me.