Do BCAA's cause depression?

Discussion in 'BCAA's' started by Anonymous, Jun 6, 2015.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I started working out again and am using BCAA's throughout the day. However, since taking them, I've noticed that I've sunk into a pretty deep depression. I thought they reduce serotonin, and therefore, would help alleviate depression. I've noticed a similar response with Cyproheptadine. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. jyb

jyb Member

Taking BCAA depletes dopamine if it is not balanced with some of the other amino acids. The effect was also pretty evident for me when I took BCAA. Haidut gave advice about it in the BCAA threads.

3. OP
    Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It's a very mellow, sad feeling. Not aggressive at all. Okay. So should I supplement with Tyrosine?

4. Theo

Theo Member

One supplier of BCAA uses taurine, glycine, glutamine, arginine and tyrosine in their BCAA product.

From my own experience tyrosine is the one to increase dopamine.

I use tyrosine daily as well as taurine. And I take BCAA of course.

5. Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Dr.Winston O'Boogie Member

I've been drinking water containing about 15mg's of BCAA's split before, during and after my session at the gym. It's early days yet but if anything I find them quite energising. I've also started taking 5 mg's after my main protein meal (usually meat) in the evenings. Nothing negative to report so far but it's only been a week.

6. Theo

Theo Member

7. answersfound

answersfound Member

I don't like taking individual amino acids anymore. I stick to Hydrolyzed Collagen. Aspirin is good for mitigating serotonin's effects.