Do all Powdered Milks contain silica?

Jayvee

Does anyone know if it is standard for powdered milk to use silica? I’ve drank a lot of it recently and only really came to my attention when Haidut mentioned about some organic milk containing Silica.

Is it a concern? Any thoughts here welcome. From a quick google I can see that powdered milk can be made from simply evaporating moisture from milk but is that the same process for mass produced milk powder? I’ve emailed my supplier of it but no response as yet. I know with it being organic it doesn’t have to be declared so not sure what to think on this.

retroactive

I think they use things like silica to keep it from clumping and for facilitate the production. I'm not sure of the answer to your question but i guess it could be tested for. I know I haven't found a powdered milk that I tolerate - while I do tolerate dairy

OP
Jayvee

Jayvee

Yeah, I thought that could be the case. I’ve weirdly been better with powdered milk though but maybe long term use isn’t good.

freyasam

Does anyone know if it is standard for powdered milk to use silica? I’ve drank a lot of it recently and only really came to my attention when Haidut mentioned about some organic milk containing Silica.

Is it a concern? Any thoughts here welcome. From a quick google I can see that powdered milk can be made from simply evaporating moisture from milk but is that the same process for mass produced milk powder? I’ve emailed my supplier of it but no response as yet. I know with it being organic it doesn’t have to be declared so not sure what to think on this.
Did you ever hear back from the manufacturer? And do you have any powdered milk brands you would recommend? Any information about the safety of powdered milk is appreciated. I would like to stock up for long-term food storage. Thank you

OP
Jayvee

Jayvee

In the UK I found 1 supplier who confirmed that nothing was added. That was the Buywholefoods supplier. Biomager was the most digestible one I had though (but I never reached out to them).