DNA Methylation, Aging, And Cancer

mirc12354

I think that study is a very good answer to all the questions why I don't have B5, folic acid and B12 in Energin. So, thanks for posting it!
Another reason for not including B5 is that virtually nobody is deficient in it, similar to iodine. It is added to pretty much every processed food, including the "artisan" breads everybody seems to be so fond of lately.
But I guess most people eating Peat-ty diet don't eat such foods well at least I don't. I wonder because when I take a 100 mg cap of B5 and I can feel it's beneficial effects in terms of more energy, better tolerance for alcochol (found about that accidentialy) and noticably less tiredness after sex.

Parsifal

I think @tyw could chime in if he agrees with it (and has some free time), and talk about methylation a bit as he seems to have done some research on it :).

aarfai

I would also appreciate some advice about blocking the methylation process or even perhaps increasing acetylation.

Pointless

I would also appreciate some advice about blocking the methylation process or even perhaps increasing acetylation.

Lidocaine Demethylates DNA

"Btw, all the "-caines" have such beneficial effects and this is probably one of the reasons Peat speaks highly of them. They also inhibit histamine release unlike their opioid counterparts.
I think the most beneficial one is procaine." -haidut

Dr Ana Aslan's Original GH3 Gerovital H-3 procaine hcl oral liquid procaine supplements. Capsule procaine hcl $14.97 two or more I've ordered this but haven't tried it yet. caveat emptor.

aarfai

Thank you Pointless!

I might give it a go! However is their product trustworthy? Their website seems to be a bit out-dated...

Pointless

Thank you Pointless!

I might give it a go! However is their product trustworthy? Their website seems to be a bit out-dated...

I don't know. 'Why I said "caveat emptor", an old phrase for "buyer beware".

We're into the old-fashioned things, though, aren't we?

There are other places to get Gerovital, but the new-fangled formulas don't have procaine in them. Get Dr. Ana Aslan's original procaine-containing formula.

aarfai

Cool thanks again for the tip. I might place an order after doing some research.

Any recommended reading on procaine?

lvysaur

Also, breast being "older" than other tissues probably has to do with the higher levels of estrogen in them.

This is off topic, but I'd like to know if you have any thoughts about the role of estrogen in fat accumulation in the hips/butt/thighs in women.

My impression is that estrogen promotes fat accumulation in the lower body. Lower body fat has also been shown to be more unsaturated than abdominal and visceral fat. I've also read that lower body fat has more adrenergic receptors that promote fat deposition.

On the other hand, I've read that progesterone can increase breast size.

Drareg

Cool thanks again for the tip. I might place an order after doing some research.

Any recommended reading on procaine?

You could look at hdac inhibitors, if your search in the forum there is a lot of recommendations.
Niacinamide is one of many Peat styled substances that do this.

The Caines demethylate and are more potent, can be dangerous if dose too high.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
This is off topic, but I'd like to know if you have any thoughts about the role of estrogen in fat accumulation in the hips/butt/thighs in women.

My impression is that estrogen promotes fat accumulation in the lower body. Lower body fat has also been shown to be more unsaturated than abdominal and visceral fat. I've also read that lower body fat has more adrenergic receptors that promote fat deposition.

On the other hand, I've read that progesterone can increase breast size.

The old name for estrogen was adipin - i.e. the hormones responsible for promoting both fat synthesis and accumulation. I think estrogen can do that in every part of the body, not just the lower one. The fat pads around the underarm area many men and women get after their 40s are also strongly driven by estrogen. And let;s not forget that estrogen is both a promoter of cortisol synthesis and damages the negative feedback mechanism, so that effect (pro-cortisol) will pile on the fat pounds as well. Something like DHT, that has both cortisol and estrogen blocking properties can achieve remarkable fat loss in even very obese people. For women, it should probably be used as combination of progesterone/DHT with ratios favoring progesterone by a 5:1 to 10:1 factor. For males, pure DHT should work just fine. Combing with some pregnenolone can potentiate the effects, and adding some DHEA can also increase DHT synthesis even more as DHT promotes its own synthesis from precursors like DHEA.

DesertRat

Folinic acid and hydroxycobalamin and not methylated forms of folate and b12. They're the only forms I can tolerate, and since taking them the last 3 years (after wasting years with methylation gurus), my formerly elevated blood cells measures of MCH and MCV are normal.

Giraffe

Morris and Lippincott (5) studied the effect of pantothenic acid deficiency on the growth of spontaneous mammary carcinoma in C3H mice and found that the tumor growth rate was retarded. This indicated that the tumors actually require the vitamin for growth and was confirmed by the resumption of tumor growth when pantothenic acid was added to the diet. If the pantothenic acid requirement of the tumor should be sufficiently great, then a proper deficiency of this element in the diet might retard or completely inhibit the growth of the tumor without seriously interfering with the metabolic activities of the host. Howevcr, Morris and Lippincott concluded that the pantothenic acid deficiency interfered so seriously with the host's nutrition that the procedure was without practical application in tumor therapy.

I wonder if this is relevant with regard to cancer:

[The influence of panthotenic acid mitochondrial oxidation and oxidative phosphorylation in liver of rats with alimentary obesity]. - PubMed - NCBI

"The treatment of the obese rats with panthotenic acid derivatives (phosphopantotenate, panthetin, panthenol) enhanced oxidative phosphorylation of pyruvate and fatty acid carnitine esters. Among investigated compounds panthenol activated respiratory control and phosphorylation rate more effectively. Moreover, panthenol, but not phosphopanthotenate nor panthetine, increased the activity of carnitine palmitoyltransferase 1 that confirms the preferable usage of fatty acids for mitochondrial oxidation under the influence of this compound."

Related thread: Achilles Heel Of Cancer Found - Its Addiction To Fat

Texon

I find this whole thing concerning and confusing. I have a complicated history with B12 specifically and it has caused me to go back and forth between supplementing and not. I have a history of veganism that have me a wicked deficiency, but I didn't realize it until years after I stopped the diet. Then I did the whole 23 and me thing and discovered a lot of MTHFR mutations. So I started getting b12 blood tests somewhat regularly just to see where I stood and if the mutations were having any effect. In the absence of supplements my b12 is always, always high. I have never gotten a straight forward answer as to why this might be, but a naturopathic doctor told me once that he thought I had a functional deficiency wherein my body can't use b12 efficiently so it doesn't recycle quickly and therefore shows high in my blood. When I supp b12 I do feel more energetic and some other things go away, but the cancer connection is deeply concerning.

Texon

I find this whole thing concerning and confusing. I have a complicated history with B12 specifically and it has caused me to go back and forth between supplementing and not. I have a history of veganism that have me a wicked deficiency, but I didn't realize it until years after I stopped the diet. Then I did the whole 23 and me thing and discovered a lot of MTHFR mutations. So I started getting b12 blood tests somewhat regularly just to see where I stood and if the mutations were having any effect. In the absence of supplements my b12 is always, always high. I have never gotten a straight forward answer as to why this might be, but a naturopathic doctor told me once that he thought I had a functional deficiency wherein my body can't use b12 efficiently so it doesn't recycle quickly and therefore shows high in my blood. When I supp b12 I do feel more energetic and some other things go away, but the cancer connection is deeply concerning.
Have you ever tried hydroxocobalamine? It is different than mb12 (a methyl donor) because it takes a methyl group to convert it so the body can use it.

Dave Clark

Lidocaine Demethylates DNA

"Btw, all the "-caines" have such beneficial effects and this is probably one of the reasons Peat speaks highly of them. They also inhibit histamine release unlike their opioid counterparts.
I think the most beneficial one is procaine." -haidut

Dr Ana Aslan's Original GH3 Gerovital H-3 procaine hcl oral liquid procaine supplements. Capsule procaine hcl $14.97 two or more I've ordered this but haven't tried it yet. caveat emptor.
I have used the Ultimate 9 formula for a few years, haven't noticed anything in particular, but the company has been reliable for ordering and answering questions, etc.

yerrag

That does seem confusing. Maybe just eating food sources high in B12 would be optimal and surpass the MTHFR mutation, such as liver and dairy products.
The b12 I usually see in b-complex supplement formulations are of the cyanocobalamin type. Very seldom do I see methylcobalamin used in supplements. Methylcobalamin is used in skin patches, as a topical delivery of b12.

Is it safe to take the cyanocobalamin form of b12, since it's not methylated?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals