DMSO vs ethanol for maximum topical absorption?

ReSTART

For powders and oil, which is the best solvent each if you want maximum absorption?

Pablo Cruise

There is not a general answer to your question. Many factors, size of particle or molecules, solubility of particular product are some.

Matestube

@haidut when using a 20% benzyl alcohol + 80% DMSO mixture for steroid absorption on the skin, would any appreciable amount of alcohol end up in the blood and transform to acetaldehyde?

Matestube

@haidut when using a 20% benzyl alcohol + 80% DMSO mixture for steroid absorption on the skin, would any appreciable amount of alcohol end up in the blood and transform to acetaldehyde?
Anyone's aware of BA's toxicity when mixed with DMSO?
Does it make it to the bloodstream or does it evaporate before doing so?

johnwester130

DMSO also makes the body use a chemical differently, and takes it deeper into the cell.

It's not recomended

DMSO also makes the body use a chemical differently, and takes it deeper into the cell.

It's not recomended
Hi, you seem very knowledgeable on the topic of topical application ... I wanted to ask you today if I had to suggest a method which safe vectors can we use for the powder? and with what procedure having no laboratory equipment.

thank you! @johnwester130

Matestube

Hi, you seem very knowledgeable on the topic of topical application ... I wanted to ask you today if I had to suggest a method which safe vectors can we use for the powder? and with what procedure having no laboratory equipment.

thank you! @johnwester130
What exactly do you mean by safe vector?
A transdermal vehicle?
DMSO is pretty safe, it's just that some powders such as progesterone or esterified steroids need a bit more solvent power like benzyl alcohol.
Pure ethanol like Everclear only has a 160mg/ml solvency powder on testosterone, whereas benzyl alcohol had a 580mg/ml solvency power.

Matestube

everclear is safe and effective

John,

I bought 96% vodka, which helps a lot solubilize powders and I no more have white residue on the skin when applying test + vodka + DMSO instead of just test + DMSO.
My mixture is 20% vodka and 80% DMSO : any risk ethanol ends up in dangerous quantities in my blood ?

Whichway?

Alcohol does get absorbed across intact skin and can make it into the bloodstream in negligible amounts. However you also have to realize what happens to the alcohol before it gets broken down. Alcohol kills bacteria by denaturing their proteins. It’s essentially the same process as what happens when you cook an egg. So any alcohol you rub on your skin will denature proteins until it’s detoxified. The enzymes to denature alcohol are found mainly in the liver, but are present to some extent in other tissues. Also bear in mind that we know alcohol causes oral cancer when it contacts the tissues of the oral cavity, and it is considered a carcinogen. So it will be causing some damage as it Carrie’s across the substances you want it to.

johnwester130

John,

I bought 96% vodka, which helps a lot solubilize powders and I no more have white residue on the skin when applying test + vodka + DMSO instead of just test + DMSO.
My mixture is 20% vodka and 80% DMSO : any risk ethanol ends up in dangerous quantities in my blood ?

yes, - that's why I don't like DMSO and consider it dangerous

It requires precision and can be unpredictable. also your blood level of T may get too high

johnwester130

Alcohol does get absorbed across intact skin and can make it into the bloodstream in negligible amounts. However you also have to realize what happens to the alcohol before it gets broken down. Alcohol kills bacteria by denaturing their proteins. It’s essentially the same process as what happens when you cook an egg. So any alcohol you rub on your skin will denature proteins until it’s detoxified. The enzymes to denature alcohol are found mainly in the liver, but are present to some extent in other tissues. Also bear in mind that we know alcohol causes oral cancer when it contacts the tissues of the oral cavity, and it is considered a carcinogen. So it will be causing some damage as it Carrie’s across the substances you want it to.

Matestube

Santosh

Looks like Benzyl Alcohol has the same penetration power as Azone and DMSO anyways, so Benzyl Alcohol and MCT oil can be used at a 50/50 concentration to make an effective transdermal carrier :