DMSO For Beginners

Pointless

I've been using DMSO in various forms and in various uses for years. So I've decided to write up a primer for people that are new to DMSO. People can also post specific questions or references for DMSO that people might find interesting.

DMSO stands for dimethyl sulfoxide. It is a solvent, meaning it dissolves things. Its primary use among Peatarians is to dissolve drugs, hormones, vitamins, or other supplements so that they can absorb topically. Sometimes the bioavailability of a preparation like that meets or exceeds that of an intramuscular injection.

Ray Peat has expressed concern that DMSO could break down into toxic compounds or have unpredictable effects. This is a serious concern, but on the other hand, DMSO has a very low toxicity. There are no serious side effects. It has been in use for a very long time and is still FDA approved for some conditions like interstitial cystitis. It is also anti-inflammatory and is commonly used by runners, on horses, and for autoimmune diseases. The only side effect common at the low doses we use (doctors use huge infusions) is itchy skin or rash.

DMSO is a byproduct of the lumber industry, and it is an industrial solvent. DMSO of low or moderate purity has a strong smell that is described as garlicky, metallic, or bitter. If you use impure DMSO, it will make your whole body stink, and you will taste it in your mouth. USP DMSO does not have this effect at low doses. The same dose may create a different amount of odor in different people.

The big concern for people new to DMSO is unwittingly dissolving artificial compounds like lotion, dyes from clothing, makeup, or plastic products. If DMSO dissolves anything like that, it will carry it into your blood and even facilitate transport into your cells. I don't know any anecdotes of people being harmed by this, but apparently the researcher that discovered it handled it with latex gloves and had to be hospitalized because of latex poisoning. Some types of plastic will dissolve in DMSO (I've seen this personally) but most DMSO is sold in special plastic containers that won't dissolve.

As for application points of DMSO perparations, it works anywhere. Some people apply to locations with thin skin like the wrists or inside of the elbows, but that can cause more irritation if you have that issue. The thighs or calves or buttocks are better if that's the case. You should wash your hands with water after applying it.

Well that's it for now. I may add citations later. No guarantees lol.

Sheik

Do you know how long after application it's okay to apply lotions and things like that?

sladerunner69

Can I mix 1 part dmso to 1 part orange juice in a bath tub and soak in it? Seems like a more effective method to absorb my nutrients. The acidity is not healthy for the enamel on my smile bones.

OP
Pointless

Pointless

Do you know how long after application it's okay to apply lotions and things like that?

It's best to apply it somewhere you don't use any lotion. But I think that if you rub your skin and it feels dry, it's as absorbed as it's going to get, at least as far as the outer layer of skin is concerned. If you do use lotion, you should rub the DMSO until your skin is dry; don't rely on it to absorb passively.

Can I mix 1 part dmso to 1 part orange juice in a bath tub and soak in it? Seems like a more effective method to absorb my nutrients. The acidity is not healthy for the enamel on my smile bones.

Few problems here. One would be the smell from large amounts of DMSO. The other would be the expense. The amount of nutrients absorbed I think would disappoint you. Also, bathtubs are dirty, and you can absorb bacteria or cleaning chemicals.

sladerunner69

It's best to apply it somewhere you don't use any lotion. But I think that if you rub your skin and it feels dry, it's as absorbed as it's going to get, at least as far as the outer layer of skin is concerned. If you do use lotion, you should rub the DMSO until your skin is dry; don't rely on it to absorb passively.

Few problems here. One would be the smell from large amounts of DMSO. The other would be the expense. The amount of nutrients absorbed I think would disappoint you. Also, bathtubs are dirty, and you can absorb bacteria or cleaning chemicals.

Well in truth that is only a couple problems, not "a few", which you clearly stated. Has dmso every demonstrated the potential for side effects other than skin irritation and funny tasting mouth? I heard somewhere it can shrink your brain.

burtlancast

DMSO has been approved by the FDA for treating interstitial cystis in the US- safe and effective-.

Therefore, medical doctors can legally use it off label for any condition they feel it could be useful.

OP
Pointless

Pointless

Well in truth that is only a couple problems, not "a few", which you clearly stated. Has dmso every demonstrated the potential for side effects other than skin irritation and funny tasting mouth? I heard somewhere it can shrink your brain.

Well I've never heard of anyone using DMSO to absorb food. If you try it, let us know how it goes.

Last edited:
OP
Pointless

Pointless

So I did a little more research on this. It's difficult to find good studies on DMSO toxicity and side effects on Pubmed. But here's a medium-sized clinical study that noted no toxicity or systemic effects. Dimethyl Sulfoxide in Treatment of Inflammatory Genitourinary Disorders No mention of side effects, though. Here's a study where 57% of the DMSO group dropped out because of pain on infusion and garlicky body odor https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27819752 They were probably using impure DMSO and large infusions.

Here's the effect on the brain that you mentioned @sladerunner69 Dimethyl Sulfoxide (DMSO) Produces Widespread Apoptosis in the Developing Central Nervous System Apparently it causes cell death in developing nervous systems. The researchers think it's a concern in children, mostly. The smallest dose tested was 0.3 mL/kg, which would be about 1-2 tablespoons for an adult, but less for a child. On the other hand, DMSO is being researched for preventing death and brain injury from head trauma http://dmso.org/articles/head/ExperimentalBrainCompression.pdf

Here's an interesting story about a woman that might have lathered her body with DMSO and then gone to the emergency room. After some procedures were done on her, the DMSO might have catalyzed into a toxic fume that made many emergency workers ill. Gloria Ramirez - Wikipedia

The LD50 of DMSO is twice that of ethanol.

May facilitate repair of damage from radiation http://dmso.org/articles/pdfs/An al...ioprotection by dimethyl sulfoxide 011011.pdf

LeeLemonoil

Any idea if DMSO would be beneficial for steroid conjugation/sulfatation? Some mental disorders seem to involve cpmpromised sulfur-transferase activity. The same enzyme is involved in steroid sulfatation. Some sulfated Steroids are also involved in neurregulations (DHEA-S and others). Purportedly sulfate availabilty can enhance sulfur-transferase endogenously

Giraffe

Ray Peat has expressed concern that DMSO could break down into toxic compounds or have unpredictable effects.
Peat also mentioned its ability to release histamine and nitric oxide and to inhibit cholinesterase.

It's difficult to find good studies on DMSO toxicity and side effects on Pubmed.
Have you checked the studies that Peat enclosed when he replied to a question about DMSO? See here.

OP
Pointless

Pointless

Peat also mentioned its ability to release histamine and nitric oxide and to inhibit cholinesterase.

Have you checked the studies that Peat enclosed when he replied to a question about DMSO? See here.

I didn't know there were references. Thanks for the link.

ddjd

I've been using DMSO in various forms and in various uses for years. So I've decided to write up a primer for people that are new to DMSO. People can also post specific questions or references for DMSO that people might find interesting.

DMSO stands for dimethyl sulfoxide. It is a solvent, meaning it dissolves things. Its primary use among Peatarians is to dissolve drugs, hormones, vitamins, or other supplements so that they can absorb topically. Sometimes the bioavailability of a preparation like that meets or exceeds that of an intramuscular injection.

Ray Peat has expressed concern that DMSO could break down into toxic compounds or have unpredictable effects. This is a serious concern, but on the other hand, DMSO has a very low toxicity. There are no serious side effects. It has been in use for a very long time and is still FDA approved for some conditions like interstitial cystitis. It is also anti-inflammatory and is commonly used by runners, on horses, and for autoimmune diseases. The only side effect common at the low doses we use (doctors use huge infusions) is itchy skin or rash.

DMSO is a byproduct of the lumber industry, and it is an industrial solvent. DMSO of low or moderate purity has a strong smell that is described as garlicky, metallic, or bitter. If you use impure DMSO, it will make your whole body stink, and you will taste it in your mouth. USP DMSO does not have this effect at low doses. The same dose may create a different amount of odor in different people.

The big concern for people new to DMSO is unwittingly dissolving artificial compounds like lotion, dyes from clothing, makeup, or plastic products. If DMSO dissolves anything like that, it will carry it into your blood and even facilitate transport into your cells. I don't know any anecdotes of people being harmed by this, but apparently the researcher that discovered it handled it with latex gloves and had to be hospitalized because of latex poisoning. Some types of plastic will dissolve in DMSO (I've seen this personally) but most DMSO is sold in special plastic containers that won't dissolve.

As for application points of DMSO perparations, it works anywhere. Some people apply to locations with thin skin like the wrists or inside of the elbows, but that can cause more irritation if you have that issue. The thighs or calves or buttocks are better if that's the case. You should wash your hands with water after applying it.

Well that's it for now. I may add citations later. No guarantees lol.
thanks for making this thread pointless.
ive bought some pharma grade DMSO here in germany because a while back i acquired some DHT powder, testosterone base powder and androsterone powder, and i want to create topical homemade supplements.
can you give me some advice, im completely new to dmso, should the overall total content of my topical be only 10% dmso, is ethanol the best thing to go alongside it? or mct oil?

OP
Pointless

Pointless

Use enough DMSO to completely dissolve the hormones and keep them in solution. 10% is probably too low, but I can't give you an exact figure. Ethanol will work alongside DMSO, but MCT + DMSO will not mix. Haidut has said that MCT can even inhibit the absorption of DMSO.

ddjd

Use enough DMSO to completely dissolve the hormones and keep them in solution. 10% is probably too low, but I can't give you an exact figure. Ethanol will work alongside DMSO, but MCT + DMSO will not mix. Haidut has said that MCT can even inhibit the absorption of DMSO.
Regarding ethanol. Where do I buy the pure stuff for this kind of thing? In pharmacies?

LeeLemonoil

There are cosmetic ingredient-suppliers in Germany that sell „Weingeist“ which is 96% pure ethanol. Pharmacies used to offer it but most no longer do, just ask them.

What about using DMSO for healing sore feet and calves? My feet, calves, knees, and wrists are often sore after a long day of driving or walking. It is a kind of residual pain from working these areas way too hard physically a few years ago, the pain comes and goes. I have found temporary relief from applying DMSO but am curious what would be some good things to mix with DMSO that would help to improve the health of joints and muscles. I get all the micro and macros daily and have a decent metabolism but suspect that a few parts of my body do not receive enough nutrients, or remain in a chronically inflammed state. There are so many things to try combining with DMSO I don’t know where to start.

Bogdar

Is it necessary to dilute something in DMSO to absorb it topically ? For example I have K2 vitamin in MCT oils. Do I have to use DMSO or will MCT oil be enough ?

ddjd

There are cosmetic ingredient-suppliers in Germany that sell „Weingeist“ which is 96% pure ethanol. Pharmacies used to offer it but most no longer do, just ask them.
Perfect. Yes I'm in Germany so that sounds like the best option. I'll have a look for it today

ddjd

Is it necessary to dilute something in DMSO to absorb it topically ? For example I have K2 vitamin in MCT oils. Do I have to use DMSO or will MCT oil be enough ?
As far as I know the DMSO makes it far more absorbable, around 90-99%!