DMSO extends lifespan

haidut

Forum Supporter
The study was done in worms but I still think it has merit. DMSO was not as effective as caffeine in creasing maximum lifespan, but still did a pretty good job compared to other substances like caffeine. In fact, DMSO extends lifespan by the same amount as the anti-serotonin drugs I posted about in another thread.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20828537

"...Dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO) is an important solvent that is widely used in industry and medical studies, as well as in the study of aging, in which it is used as a negative control for lifespan assays; however, our data showed that 0.5% and 2% DMSO extended the lifespan of Caenorhabditis elegans by 24.4% and 23.0% (the first trial), respectively. Treatment with 0.5% DMSO did not affect the progeny number or the lifespan of C. elegans under thermal stress. Using real time reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), we found that the expression levels of hsp-16.2, hsp-70, lys-7, old-1, and sod-5 were enhanced by 2.5, 2.9, 1.3, 2.3, and 4.5-fold, respectively, after treatment with 0.5% DMSO. This suggests that these genes downstream of DAF-16 might function in the lifespan extension properties of DMSO. Using the transgenic strain lys-7::GFP, we found that treatment with 0.5% DMSO also caused expression levels of lys-7 increased by 1.5-fold. Genetic analysis using mutants of aging-related genes showed that lifespan extension in C. elegans by DMSO was dependent on sir-2.1 and daf-16 but not eat-2 or hsf-1. In summary, we report the function and the putative mechanism of DMSO in lifespan extension of C. elegans. This study draws attention to using DMSO as a solvent when conducting aging studies."

Ras

Dr. Stanley W. Jacobs swallowed one ounce of DMSO every day for several decades; he died at 91 with a full head of brown hair. He also took 15 grams of MSM each day.

area51puy

Forum Supporter
I put idealabs magnoil on my face occasionally that has dmso in it and helps skin look younger. I’ll spray some solban and then put on the magnoil

Ras

@Ras looks like he was dying his hair
Could be. At least he had hair to dye. At the end of this interview, be attributes his head of hair at 81 years old to taking fifteen grams of MSM (metabolite of DMSO) each day for decades.

bloooeh

I put idealabs magnoil on my face occasionally that has dmso in it and helps skin look younger. I’ll spray some solban and then put on the magnoil
Never thought of applying magnoil on my face but I’ll give that a try + Solban. Currently I’m liking my mixture of tallow/beeswax/cacao butter for my face…. I do like to apply Magnoil around my lower abdomen before bedtime! Thanks for the tip!

Michael Mohn

The study was done in worms but I still think it has merit. DMSO was not as effective as caffeine in creasing maximum lifespan, but still did a pretty good job compared to other substances like caffeine. In fact, DMSO extends lifespan by the same amount as the anti-serotonin drugs I posted about in another thread.

Lifespan extension in Caenorhabditis elegans by DMSO is dependent on sir-2.1 and daf-16 - PubMed

"...Dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO) is an important solvent that is widely used in industry and medical studies, as well as in the study of aging, in which it is used as a negative control for lifespan assays; however, our data showed that 0.5% and 2% DMSO extended the lifespan of Caenorhabditis elegans by 24.4% and 23.0% (the first trial), respectively. Treatment with 0.5% DMSO did not affect the progeny number or the lifespan of C. elegans under thermal stress. Using real time reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), we found that the expression levels of hsp-16.2, hsp-70, lys-7, old-1, and sod-5 were enhanced by 2.5, 2.9, 1.3, 2.3, and 4.5-fold, respectively, after treatment with 0.5% DMSO. This suggests that these genes downstream of DAF-16 might function in the lifespan extension properties of DMSO. Using the transgenic strain lys-7::GFP, we found that treatment with 0.5% DMSO also caused expression levels of lys-7 increased by 1.5-fold. Genetic analysis using mutants of aging-related genes showed that lifespan extension in C. elegans by DMSO was dependent on sir-2.1 and daf-16 but not eat-2 or hsf-1. In summary, we report the function and the putative mechanism of DMSO in lifespan extension of C. elegans. This study draws attention to using DMSO as a solvent when conducting aging studies."

Wasn't there a study that showed DMSO increases dopamine and protects nerve cell? I'm gonna look it up when I have time.

Can anyone decipher this study .....
It seems to me the devil is in the detail But I can't make head nor tail of the dosing that is dangerous or safe ???

dukesbobby777

Might make you live longer, but you stink. You live out your extra days with the nickname 'stinky'.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals