DMSO, Even At Very Low Doses, Increases Respiration In Brain

haidut

Forum Supporter
I am posting about DMSO b/c we are considering changing some of solvents in the supplements from oil to DMSO + ethanol. While researching DMSO toxicity, I stumbled upon study showing that DMSO stimulates respiration in the brain in practically all doses (including very low ones).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17853437

"...Dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO) has long been used in studies as a vehicle to enhance the solubility and transport of ligands in biological systems. The effects of this drug on the outcomes of such studies are still unclear, with concentrations of DMSO reported as "safe" varying considerably. In the present work, we investigated the effects of very low concentrations of DMSO on the brain metabolism of [3-(13)C]pyruvate and D-[1-(13)C]glucose using (1)H/(13)C NMR spectroscopy and a guinea pig cortical brain slice model. Our results show that DMSO is accumulated by brain slices. DMSO at all concentrations [0.000025%-0.25% (v/v)] increased the metabolic rate when [3-(13)C]pyruvate was used as a substrate and also in the presence of D-[1-(13)C]glucose (0.00025%-0.1% DMSO). These results are consistent with DMSO stimulating respiration, which it may do through altering the kinetics of ATP-requiring reactions. Our results also emphasize that there is no practical concentration of DMSO that can be used in metabolic experiments without effect. Therefore, care should be taken when evaluating the actions of drugs administered in combination with DMSO."

NathanK

I've heard DMSO is excellent for inflammation. Particularly in the brain. Every so often if I feel any aches coming on in the joints I'll take it's metabolite MSM and just one shot of ~1g makes it go away almost immediately... and permanently. As far as I know though, DMSO is regulated not for sale for human consumption. Is that correct?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
NathanK said:
I've heard DMSO is excellent for inflammation. Particularly in the brain. Every so often if I feel any aches coming on in the joints I'll take it's metabolite MSM and just one shot of ~1g makes it go away almost immediately... and permanently. As far as I know though, DMSO is regulated not for sale for human consumption. Is that correct?
I think there is not much data for humans, but there are a few studies on PubMed showing it is effective against amyloidosis and scleroderma, and without any major side effects.

NathanK

haidut said:
NathanK said:
I think there is not much data for humans, but there are a few studies on PubMed showing it is effective against amyloidosis and scleroderma, and without any major side effects.

I forgot. I understand that, MSM at least, works very synergistically with many substances thereby increasing those substances bioavailability. I'm not sure if it's fair to say MSM=DMSO though.

Is DMSO regulated for human consumption? I recall having a challenging time buying some, and DMSO was what I really wanted over MSM as DMSO seems like a pretty amazing substance, and it is frequently used for veterinary purposes. I imagine MSM could likely cause more problems than DMSO. If there was any regulation then it appeared senseless aka pharma industry suppression

burtlancast

DMSO has been FDA approved for treatment of interstitial cystis.

Which makes it usable by any doctor for any other condition he wishes to treat ( that's a law)

Glasses of DMSO can be drank without problems. It has been advised to do just that in case of infarcts and cerabral strokes.

If you want to use it as solvent, beware of the garlic smell it gives to people who drink it !

mujuro

Not just drinking. Applying it topically will give you the garlic breath as well, as it diffuses through the dermal layers and into the blood.

DMSO at all concentrations [0.000025%-0.25% (v/v)] increased the metabolic rate when [3-(13)C]pyruvate was used as a substrate and also in the presence of D-[1-(13)C]glucose (0.00025%-0.1% DMSO).

DMSO modulates CNS function in a preclinical Alzheimer's disease model - ScienceDirect
DMSO modulates CNS function in a preclinical Alzheimer's disease model
In this study they got fascinating resulst using "Dimethyl sulfoxide (Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany) was provided to mice ad libitum at 1% (v/v), mixed in water" Any suggestion how to convert it in HED? The same ad libitum 1%v/v in drinking agua or other liquids? But for human consumption it looks like 10 grams per 1 liter, isnt it too much? The study you has originally posted says up to 0.25% v/v but its not clear about route of administration. Would you please tell me your opinion about what dose and ROA could be theoretically used to design a human study?

Last edited:
OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
DMSO modulates CNS function in a preclinical Alzheimer's disease model - ScienceDirect
DMSO modulates CNS function in a preclinical Alzheimer's disease model
In this study they got fascinating resulst using "Dimethyl sulfoxide (Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany) was provided to mice ad libitum at 1% (v/v), mixed in water" Any suggestion how to convert it in HED? The same ad libitum 1%v/v in drinking agua or other liquids? But for human consumption it looks like 10 grams per 1 liter, isnt it too much? The study you has originally posted says up to 0.25% v/v but its not clear about route of administration. Would you please tell me your opinion about what dose and ROA could be theoretically used to design a human study?

The HED would be about 100mg/kg bodyweight. So, about 7g-10g daily for most adults, which is not much considering its FDA-approved used for kidney issues is on the order 50g+ daily (and it is IV).

Spondive

I like the haidut products with dmso for some odd reason I love the smell of dmso.. I wonder what could be the reason