DMI

TubZy

What is everyone's thoughts on DMI (Dimethyl Isosorbide)? It seems to be pretty safe and a lot less harsh than DMSO for topical purposes (and a lot less irritating).

I'm planning to make a fast acting topical for hair. It could be a good penetration enhancer for castor oil or other oils even coconut that way you don't have to sleep with oil in your hair overnight and even get the full exposure to a topical in under an hour.

I wonder if it could be used for other topical hormones etc. too in place of DMSO if it's safety records holds up.

LeeLemonoil

It's a good albeit a little expensive substance. Also, consider Simulgreen 18-2 additionaly, it forms a oil-water structure very similar to the skin's own matrix and therefore enhances penetration as well, and it feels very good

OP
TubZy

TubZy

It's a good albeit a little expensive substance. Also, consider Simulgreen 18-2 additionaly, it forms a oil-water structure very similar to the skin's own matrix and therefore enhances penetration as well, and it feels very good

Thanks- yeah, agree it is expensive I have a small bottle from lotion crafter. I'll take a look at simulgreen, what do you dissolve in it usually and for how long to leave on skin?

LeeLemonoil

It's an emulgator with very good characteristics. It's easy to use, emulsifies high water/low fat at low concentrations and forms hydro-lipid mtrix in lamelar structure similar to derma structure, which makes it penetration enhancing.
It absorbs well, does not leave white reside and feels hydrating.

I use it for a homemade skincream. ~ 10% Jojoba - 5% Cocos - 5% olive oil as fat-phase and as water-soluble active I add 5% Niacinamide, 1% Taurine and 0,2% Creatine. The rest is water and 0,3% percent each of Hyaluronic acid low and normal molecular weigt and a bit of aquaxyl, panthenol or gylcerin based extracts, rest water.

Due to steeping into the Peat realm, I'll soon start to substitute some of the fat with fractionated Cocos-derivates, like Caprylic/Capric Triglycerides or pure coco-caprylate.
Especially in summer this should add photostability and I read in various cosmetic-DIY forums that the sensory properties of these are excellent

Highly hydrating and soothing, great skinfeel and cool effects. My skin looks very healthy on it. Simulgreen adds additional penetration to the water-soluble actives.

If you use 10% of DIM that will enhance penetration of actives manyfold i'd guess

Last edited: