DIY Iodized Oil

OP
Captain_Coconut
Well, that alone transgresses your limit.

No, a tablespoon of rice bran oil that has no iodine at all will have 5 grams of PUFA.

Amazoniac

No, a tablespoon of rice bran oil that has no iodine at all will have 5 grams of PUFA.
So you think that it completely negates any detrimental effect from linoleic acid? But even if it was the case, consider this: you could only react 0.3 g, representing 2% of total saturation. If the range is 5-6 g, the unsaturated fraction remains between 4.9-5.9 g, therefore there is a great chance that you've indeed already surpassed with this alone. Of course these calculations are lame, but so is being capable of only saturating 2%.

One of the alleged benefits of extra iodine is iodination of lipids in the body, but you're not ingesting iodine to react with your fats, you're instead supplementing linoleic acid in much greater amounts that you could saturate, and each time you do this, you're creating a debt.

OP
Captain_Coconut
So you think that it completely negates any detrimental effect from linoleic acid? But even if it was the case, consider this: you could only react 0.3 g, representing 2% of total saturation. If the range is 5-6 g, the unsaturated fraction remains between 4.9-5.9 g, therefore there is a great chance that you've indeed already surpassed with this alone. Of course these calculations are lame, but so is being capable of only saturating 2%.

One of the alleged benefits of extra iodine is iodination of lipids in the body, but you're not ingesting iodine to react with your fats, you're instead supplementing linoleic acid in much greater amounts that you could saturate, and each time you do this, you're creating a debt.

I’ve given up expecting iodine to be a great solution for negating the total body effects of PUFA. I think the benefits of iodine are still more powerful not to mention low maintenance when consumed this way. The benefits outweigh any risk of consuming a small amount of PUFA. Based on my dosing schedule this is akin to adding an extra 161 milligrams of pufa to my daily load. A small price to pay for the huge benefits of iodine.

Amazoniac

I’ve given up expecting iodine to be a great solution for negating the total body effects of PUFA. I think the benefits of iodine are still more powerful not to mention low maintenance when consumed this way. The benefits outweigh any risk of consuming a small amount of PUFA. Based on my dosing schedule this is akin to adding an extra 161 milligrams of pufa to my daily load. A small price to pay for the huge benefits of iodine.
Have you tried to use an oil that's high in monounsaturated fats (and low in polyunsaturated)?

OP
Captain_Coconut
Have you tried to use an oil that's high in monounsaturated fats (and low in polyunsaturated)?

As mentioned in original post. Yes I tried with olive oil.

OP
Captain_Coconut
Are these ingested iodine lipids treated in a special way in the body? Because otherwise when they is burned, there can be a massive liberation all of the sudden at night for example or cause some weird fluctuations.

You can refer to studies using iodized oil to prevent cretinism and goiter, no side effects like that are mentioned. I have felt no side effects from taking around 1 gram iodine this way on a quarterly schedule. I imagine it is much like the iodine benefits from eating a diet high in seafood, as a lot of that iodine will be in iodolipid form.

Amazoniac

You can refer to studies using iodized oil to prevent cretinism and goiter, no side effects like that are mentioned. I have felt no side effects from taking around 1 gram iodine this way on a quarterly schedule. I imagine it is much like the iodine benefits from eating a diet high in seafood, as a lot of that iodine will be in iodolipid form.
Which ones does you recommends?

If the distribution is random, the difference from foods and your supplement can be massive, how much you can get in a meal at most? But it's interesting that you haven't noticed anything.

Isn't it interesting that in experiment to determine the iodine value you can find iodine as cation?
Polyhalogen ions - Wikipedia

Amazoniac

So I was reading about it, trying to understand what's the advantage of using linoleic acid as carrier if you can just take iodine daily and adjust the dose as needed, being more certain of a controlled distribution. Do you have a specific link in mind? Because most groups only resorted to this when iodine wasn't available in a poor community.

OP
Captain_Coconut
So I was reading about it, trying to understand what's the advantage of using linoleic acid as carrier if you can just take iodine daily and adjust the dose as needed, being more certain of a controlled distribution. Do you have a specific link in mind? Because most groups only resorted to this when iodine wasn't available in a poor community.

Sadly I did not save my links on this. I may get around to compiling some literature for you some other day. My takeaway nonetheless was iodized oil is safer and more efficient way of assuring iodine sufficiency. It seems to act like a very slow release (months) delivery.

Amazoniac

Sadly I did not save my links on this. I may get around to compiling some literature for you some other day. My takeaway nonetheless was iodized oil is safer and more efficient way of assuring iodine sufficiency. It seems to act like a very slow release (months) delivery.
Adipose tissue is more active than many of us suppose, so I don't doubt that the process is regulated. I read that with this method of administration it can prevent deficiency for up to 4 years: a coincidence or not with the turnowaa of fats.

Amazoniac

- Efficacy of different types of iodized oil

"Apart from the scarcity of poppyseed oil, its high proportion of polyunsaturated fatty acids (73%) was another reason for seeking a new basis for iodised oil. Iodine from such oils is retained for a shorter time than iodine from oils with a high proportion of monounsaturated fatty acids."

<cover mouth> Coufflower. <chest hits>​

- Efficacy of oral iodized peanut oil is greater than that of iodized poppy seed oil among Indonesian schoolchildren

upload_2019-1-11_20-34-26.png

upload_2019-1-11_20-34-33.png

- Preparation of Seed Iodized Oil

- Physiology and Pharmacology of Iodized Oil in Goiter Prophylaxis

OP
Captain_Coconut
- Efficacy of different types of iodized oil

"Apart from the scarcity of poppyseed oil, its high proportion of polyunsaturated fatty acids (73%) was another reason for seeking a new basis for iodised oil. Iodine from such oils is retained for a shorter time than iodine from oils with a high proportion of monounsaturated fatty acids."

<cover mouth> Coufflower. <chest hits>​

- Efficacy of oral iodized peanut oil is greater than that of iodized poppy seed oil among Indonesian schoolchildren

View attachment 11820

- Preparation of Seed Iodized Oil

- Physiology and Pharmacology of Iodized Oil in Goiter Prophylaxis

Nice find. I have read these before. Rice bran oil has a similar profile to peanut oil.

Amazoniac

Nice find. I have read these before. Rice bran oil has a similar profile to peanut oil.
I think you have closed the case in terms on PUFA concern given your frequency of use, making it only annoying to have to take 5 g of linoleic acid each time, there has to be a better way. But it also bothers a bit that you have to heat to 170°C for it to happen, considering that the microwaved oils in the experiment posted had a sharp increase in peroxid values when the temperature went above 100°C and reaching a peak at 150°C.

Another point is that there might be indeed some randomness in freeing up iodine from storage or at least it's not prioritized when the body is breaking down fats because there shouldn't be a great difference if the body only releases as much iodine as it needs, which wasn't the case in the graph above when the same amount was used (400 mg): it varied depending on the fat that it was complexed with.

"We conclude that iodine retention after a single oral dose of iodized peanut oil was 3 times that after a single oral dose of iodized poppy seed oil, which resulted in double the period of protection in iodine-deficient schoolchildren. Thus, iodized oil prepared from oleic acid–rich oils, such as peanut oil and rapeseed oil, are preferred to preparations based on poppy seed oil in programs to control iodine deficiency."​

I must comment that it appears to be way safer than I imagin'd, but I still have some doubts if it's preferable to regular consumption.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals