Distinguishing Between Cortisol And Thyroid

goodandevil

I called into herb doctors, asking about eye pain with t4. Rp said t4 can basically result in increased cortisol and NO. BUT many other symptoms improve on thyroid. Im thinking my blood sugar may be getting low. Can cortisol drive temps into the 98s? How else can i distinguish between thhroid and cortisol in terms of observable factors, will heart rate becoe as high on the cortisol as thyroid? Rp suggested t3 but i feel i metabolize t4 well and dont like tbe feeling of t3.

Cortisol and Thyroid are almost indistinguishable: they both can show high temp and pulse, warm hands and feet.

The way to distinguish them is to see what happens during and after a sugar meal: if your pulse suddenly drops and you feel cold, it was likely cortisol (and adrenaline) maintaining your metabolism. If your temp and pulse remain steady, it's thyroid.

answersfound

goodandevil said:
I called into herb doctors, asking about eye pain with t4. Rp said t4 can basically result in increased cortisol and NO. BUT many other symptoms improve on thyroid. Im thinking my blood sugar may be getting low. Can cortisol drive temps into the 98s? How else can i distinguish between thhroid and cortisol in terms of observable factors, will heart rate becoe as high on the cortisol as thyroid? Rp suggested t3 but i feel i metabolize t4 well and dont like tbe feeling of t3.

This is why it's important to look at pulse too. this will tell you if your temps are being driven by stress hormones or not

answersfound said:
post 104685
goodandevil said:

This is why it's important to look at pulse too. this will tell you if your temps are being driven by stress hormones or not

That's the insidious nature of cortisol since both temp and pulse can be good: cortisol breaks down muscle tissue to provide the liver with amino acids in order to make glucose. While this is happening, the outward appearance of our metabolism will resemble the outward appearance of good thyroid metabolism i.e. stable temps and pulse. It isn't until you eat a sugary meal that cortisol will be suppressed revealing a very low thyroid metabolism with the outward signs being low pulse and low temp.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
goodandevil

goodandevil

Thanks for the info. Ill try that sugary meal. I feel really good on the t4 excepf for eye pain and my hear rate goes up to 80.

NathanK

Yeah, ive had that pain behind my left eye last year on t3 whenever I took much. Look around, IIR thats one of the side effects to look out for. I rarely take thyroid so Im not sure

OP
goodandevil

goodandevil

NathanK said:
post 104858 Yeah, ive had that pain behind my left eye last year on t3 whenever I took much. Look around, IIR thats one of the side effects to look out for. I rarely take thyroid so Im not sure

Interesting. Did you have any tounge swelling with the eye pain? I can't figure why id have swelling when i feel so much better on thyroid.

yoshiesque

For me, I have found that sometimes heart rate wont increase. And it will just be temps alone. This is consistent with me at the moment.

Since temps increase after meal, i know its not cortisol.

RP did state somewhere that temps are the first to increase when you are working towards optimizing thyroid, and that heart eventually follows.

NathanK

goodandevil said:
post 104885
NathanK said:
post 104858 Yeah, ive had that pain behind my left eye last year on t3 whenever I took much. Look around, IIR thats one of the side effects to look out for. I rarely take thyroid so Im not sure
Interesting. Did you have any tounge swelling with the eye pain? I can't figure why id have swelling when i feel so much better on thyroid.
No, but I did start to feel a goiter coming on. I really couldn't handle thyroid back then. Now I seem fine, but I only take a nibble after big meals.

OP
goodandevil

goodandevil

Lol! I was that caller. I think i have some chronic sinuitis so i think ill bet on that and make sure i get enough sugar and salt. Otberwise i have some t3 on the way. Very interesting how challenging it is to discern between thyroid and cortisol. Thank you all.

Sea

With stress hormones you won't feel relaxed or calm, you might feel anxious or the need to pace around and it would be difficult to just sit down and relax without thinking about anything. If you are calm and very relaxed then it is just good thyroid function.

firebreather

cantstoppeating said:
post 104679 Cortisol and Thyroid are almost indistinguishable: they both can show high temp and pulse, warm hands and feet.

The way to distinguish them is to see what happens during and after a sugar meal: if your pulse suddenly drops and you feel cold, it was likely cortisol (and adrenaline) maintaining your metabolism. If your temp and pulse remain steady, it's thyroid.

Your second point has interest to me because I have had low cortisol in the past few years. I know RP says that low cortisol is good but it seems to only cause problems for me.

Are you suggesting that if the pulse suddenly drops after a sugar meal then that means that high cortisol was maintaining metabolism?

How wondering how what symptoms can tell me with food in relation to low cortisol

firebreather said:
post 114120
cantstoppeating said:
post 104679 Cortisol and Thyroid are almost indistinguishable: they both can show high temp and pulse, warm hands and feet.

Your second point has interest to me because I have had low cortisol in the past few years. I know RP says that low cortisol is good but it seems to only cause problems for me.

Are you suggesting that if the pulse suddenly drops after a sugar meal then that means that high cortisol was maintaining metabolism?

How wondering how what symptoms can tell me with food in relation to low cortisol

Generally, yes. If your hands and feet become dark, pulse and temp drop, then it's very likely that you're running on cortisol.

You said you've had low cortisol for years -- have you had it measured using cortisol saliva tests, for example?

firebreather

Thank you so much for replying to me.

I've had blood serum results showing that it's low and saliva tests showing that it's low as well

cantstoppeating said:
post 114379
firebreather said:
post 114120
cantstoppeating said:

Generally, yes. If your hands and feet become dark, pulse and temp drop, then it's very likely that you're running on cortisol.

You said you've had low cortisol for years -- have you had it measured using cortisol saliva tests, for example?

firebreather said:
post 114736 Thank you so much for replying to me.

I've had blood serum results showing that it's low and saliva tests showing that it's low as well

cantstoppeating said:
post 114379
firebreather said:
post 114120
cantstoppeating said:

Find a doctor familiar with Broda Barnes. Barnes would often prescribe cortisol along with Thyroid to patients who had low levels of both.

firebreather

That's a good idea.

I tried cortisol in the past and although I noticed a slight difference it wasn't major.

Plus the stress of dosing was not worth it.

I had to take 4 to 5 times per day with food which got to be a real stressor to make sure I never forgot.

It was especially difficult with my job.

I don't know why I didn't experience the benefits that many people mentioned even after being on it for 6 months.

But from a facebook group I realized that many people just don't seem to respond to it.

I would really love to be able to use food to fix this if at all possible.

firebreather said:
post 114736 Thank you so much for replying to me.

cantstoppeating said:
post 114379
firebreather said:
post 114120
cantstoppeating said:

Dean

What if your temp goes down, but your pulse goes up after eating?

I've been taking 35-50k iu of vitamin a for a few months now and just added 2 drops of tyromax this week. I've seen a complete reversal of lifelong issues with cold Hands and feet and the feeling of cold from the inside out, so I know I'm getting some thyroid boost. Falling to sleep is becoming an issue though and with the after eating temp/pulse thing plus the fact that my temps are the highest upon waking would that be indicative of high cortisol?

I'm wondering if I should try adding a larger dose of thyromax before bed or perhaps scale back the A before upping the tyromax dose? Too high of an A dose has given me hyper thyroid type symptoms (this was before I started thyromax.). Taking more of my A, in the form of more estroban doses, has enabled me to tolerate more A. Something Haidut attributes, I believe, to the increased E.

Ulla

Dean said:
post 118460 What if your temp goes down, but your pulse goes up after eating?

I don't know about temperatures but in book How to heal your metabolism about increased pulse is written:
"You already have a high pulse (above 100) and eating increases your pulse even more. This may mean a ratio of too much protein to carbs. Eating egg by themselves will increase insulin, leading to an increase in adrenaline. This will increase pulse but hinder thyroid function."

Do you see yourself eating too much protein?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals