[Discussion] Raising Body Temperature

jzeno

As we all understand, healthy body temperature is a good sign. I think we would agree that when our body temperature and limb temperature is good, we generally feel very good. I also think many of us arrive here because we have body temperature issues, whether some of us are aware of it or not at the time of discovering Ray Peat and some of his ideas. This could be a symptom of a number of things, including suppressed thyroid function.

In light of that, what are some practical ways you have raised your core or limb body temperature?

I'll list a few that I'm aware of:
  • Hot showers (7+ minutes)
Pretty simple. At least 7 minutes in a hot shower is enough to raise the core body temp up to 98.6 F (37 C) and also raises the temperature of limbs as well (hands, feet, ankles, legs, toes, fingers, etc.). Alternatives include, saunas, steam rooms, or hot tubs.​
  • Red Light bathing
Sitting or bathing under a red light or Infrared lamp. Think of baby chicks that just hatched which need to be warm or food being warmed under a lamp at a restaurant. Same idea. Length of time varies based on how much time you have and your goals. I enjoy this method a lot, but it's somewhat impractical to hit every area of the body in one stance and therefore takes quite a while to get the whole body going. If you have some suggestions, please suggest them.​
  • Sun bathing
Bathing in the sun. Sometimes, based on season and location, not available to everyone.​
  • Exercise
Does this even raise core temperature? I'm not sure; I've never recorded my temperature before, during, and after exercise, but I do know that after exercise, I do generally feel warmer. I'm not sure if this just increasing blood flow to the limbs and increased perceived temperature or actually raising core and limb temperature.​
  • Foods such as coconut oil, cheese, milk
You may have different responses depending on the circumstances, but in general these foods can help to raise core temperatures. Sometimes they will have a positive impact on limb temperature, too. Peat talks about how Calcium (in dairy products) can help regulate body temperature and Coconut Oil has a specific type of fat this is quickly metabolized into energy, thus boosting metabolism quickly.​
  • Drinking Hot Liquids
I'm not sure if this works, but based on this article I found (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2079070/pdf/brmedj03617-0032.pdf) doctors were able to lower a child's temperature from 104 F down to normal by introducing a balloon into this stomach with water at a specific temperature and reasoned the opposite is also possible (introducing a balloon with hot liquid to raise core temperature). The practical alternative to this clinical method would be, in my opinion, consuming hot liquids--hot milk, hot tea, hot coffee, hot juice.

I won't copy the whole article (it's brief, so give it a read to get all of the details if you'd like), but here is the discussion and summary sections discussing the advantages of raising from the inside to out rather than from the outside to in (such as in a hot shower), such as heating up the liver and how that will better suit the body once to heat up the rest of it:

"Discussion
In experimental work on hypothermia, difficulties arise during the rewarming stage after a marked lowering of the body temperature has been produced. As has been learnt in treating men exposed to severe cold, warming by external application of heat to the body surface may have serious disadvantages. The warmed peripheral tissues may increase their metabolic demands before the blood supply is adequate. Moreover, if the capillary bed of the skin opens before the general circulation has improved, there will be a fall in blood pressure. Rewarming by the intragastric route avoids these troubles. Furthermore, the skin circulation of the hypothermic animal, including man, is so reduced that little heat may be conveyed from the warmed skin. By internal warming, heat is applied to the vascular gastric mucosa and 40 to the great vessels close to the 40 stomach; their circulation is never stagnant. This method has further theoretical advantages which may 3% prove to be important. It seemed I,- | to one of us (H. H. K.) that if the liver could be warmed first, then the heat would also be gained from the various metabolic activities of this important organ. Furthermore, an "active " liver would be better able meet the increasing metabolic demands of the body during warming."

"Summary

A method of raising and lowering the body temperature in animals and man by the introduction of changes of water into an intragastric bag is described. It has possible applications in the treatment of excessively high and low body temperatures and also in the management of hypothermia in operative surgery."

Optimal Hot Beverage temperature: Based on this study (Calculating the optimum temperature for serving hot beverages. - PubMed - NCBI) the optimal temperature for a hot beverage was calculated to be 136 degrees F (57.8 degrees C), so if you have something like a kettle with a thermometer, that might be a good place to start.​

• Do you know of any other practical methods to raise body or limb temperature?
  • Do you think there is something to this hot liquids idea?

I'm looking for practical options so when I'm cold and I can't hop in the shower, I can find some way to raise up the temperature of my liver or body or limbs.

I think body temperature is extremely important and not enough practical attention is afforded to it.

Just for example: I've heard of diabetics who have issues with cold to the point that they have to amputate limbs, which to me, in this modern age of science and technology, seems extremely silly and backwards that we can't figure out how to encourage the body to roast up in these extreme cases with a simple idea like, "Drink hot juice" or something similar. If more is discussed, I think silly stuff like this could be avoided entirely for the sake of ourselves, our family and friends, too.

Granted, the situation may be more complex, such as in the case of diabetics having insulin resistance which is a hormone which controls body temperature, but I think encouraging this exchange of ideas is a step in the right direction towards us figuring out this vitally important area of health and solve its setbacks.

Thanks in advance.

Happy heating up.

Last edited:

tankasnowgod

• Red Light bathing
Sitting or bathing under a red light or UV lamp. Think of baby chicks that just hatched which need to be warm or food being warmed under a lamp at a restaurant. Same idea. Length of time varies based on how much time you have and your goals. I enjoy this method a lot, but it's somewhat impractical to hit every area of the body in one stance and therefore takes quite a while to get the whole body going. If you have some suggestions, please suggest them.​

Not a UV lamp. I think you mean infrared. UV lamps can be useful for Vitamin D, but you would want to use them very sparingly, or you will get burned. Infrared is much safer.

Cirion

The most effective out of anything IMO is heavily salted starch with saturated fats. I have gotten close to 102F doing this. I tend to not recommend it too much though because I basically go hyperthyroid and then crash. It is possibly a good suggestion for someone especially hypothyroid though.

Exercise does boost body temperature but care must be taken as its super easy to over-do it, and if you do you'll drop body temperature later.

Salted fruit seems pretty effective most of the time for me.

I do use hot liquids sometimes to give me a boost in temp when I need it. Usually its temporary but sometimes its all I need to get my temp up to 98.6 and then I can follow it up with other methods to keep it there. I find hot drinks in the morning highly effective, along with some salt.

I find hot baths are more effective than hot showers to warm up. RP has spoken favorably of warm baths saying it is like thyroid for inducing good sleep, so I like to take warm Epsom salt baths before bed if I have the time for it.

I also like to run the heater high in my house especially during the winter.

Bundling up clothing helps.

Yes, coconut oil and MCT oil are excellent at raising temps.

I use a high power 300W lamp for heat sometimes too. Sun is excellent as you note.

tankasnowgod

As for exercise, I have found walking as one of the best ways to stimulate circulation, and especially useful to warm up extremities, like hands and feet. You could probably add inclined bed therapy, as this does a great job promoting circulation, and evenly distributing body heat.

OP
jzeno

jzeno

@ecstatichamster

You did this without any T3 or T4, correct? Just the heating up and sweating it out with warm, warm clothing, correct?

Thanks

@ecstatichamster

You did this without any T3 or T4, correct? Just the heating up and sweating it out with warm, warm clothing, correct?

Thanks

yes but. I did take T3 and T4 and didn't make me any warmer.

This reset did help though. Now I'm very sensitive to T3 and T4 and it actually works to warm me up. I'm still waking a bit cold but it's headed in the right direction and I'm 98.6 during the day.

OP
jzeno

jzeno

@ecstatichamster

I'm skeptical of this because I've spent hours upon hours in saunas and hot tubs and I don't see the difference in the two and yet I've not experienced the same kind of temp reset.

Do you have any idea why this (what you did) would work but a sauna wouldn't? Maybe there's a simple explanation and I'm missing it, but just from my personal experience it seems like this is just some sort of psuedo-science (in theory), but that doesn't account for the supposed success people like you have had.

Any more information would be appreciated.

Thanks

Cirion

Well for starters hours is probably way too much for the sauna or hot tub... if you spend too long it could crash your blood sugar and drop temp. I wouldn't do more than around 15 mins personally for a sauna/hot tub and no more than 30 min for a warm bath.

its probably important too to make sure once you step out to go into a very toasty room (I like to put my temp to like 80F in the house if taking a bath) and dry off / get into warm clothes asap.

Study the Richfield protocol. It actually works. He discourages soaking. Hot hot shower, followed by very warm clothes. Resetting in the summer is far easier.

Cirion

Yeah I'm sooooo over winter!!! Argh

Please get here summer ASAP LOL

At least we're past the worst of it. December is the worst, dark by like 4:30 pm. Finally the sun is staying up until 5:30. Just have to survive until daylight savings gives us one more hr of sunlight...

OP
jzeno

jzeno

@Cirion

I meant hours and hours over the course of time--cumulatively--not in one stint. But my point still stands.

@ecstatichamster

Anything in particular to review? I've seen his website. There's way too much information to wade through practically speaking. This guy makes Ray Peat's articles look like a walk in the park, btw.

I'll save everyone the time to cut out the important "how to" in his 80+ document explaining God know's what:

"The next day, have your coffee, warm yourself up, jump into a hot shower, push your temperature up to 99°F=37.2°C. Then get out of the shower and very quickly dry off and put on lots of heavy clothing. With luck, your temperature will stay up for about an hour, and then it will drop. When it drops, you will quickly become exhausted. This day will be a complete waste, but things WILL improve.

The next day do the same, only your temperature will stay up for ~2 hours. Each successive day your temperature will stay up a little longer, until after ~2 weeks it will stay up all day long. At that point you are officially “reset”, though you may not be recovered from the process."

Source: http://www.fixlowbodytemp.com/paper...ed reasoning to cure my incurable illness.doc (Page 28, section starts previous page)

But if that's all you're suggesting (and during the summer)--Heck, I'll give it a shot. Until then I'll keep looking for other things that raise my core and limb temperature.

Plus, you never mentioned why sitting in a sauna would be any different--again his stuff just sounds coo-coo and he doesn't site any relevant studies--so, all I have is your word which is based on his word which doesn't seem to be based on any objective observations. I question it, but if it does actually produce some results in some of the population, what do I have to lose other than a few afternoons?

yeah well, you can figure out if it works for yourself. Dr. Peat isn't high on this method, BTW, as it's stressful.

Cirion

I thought RP was in favor of getting and keeping up the body temp by whatever means necessary? He speaks favorably of warm baths for example and considers it like thyroid.

Now if you are a fan of Dr. Kruse and his silly cold therapy sessions... but we won't go into that LOL

Dr. Peat wrote me several years ago on this:

I don’t think it’s safe to use only temperature as a guide, because stress causes the temperature to rise.

Hugh Johnson

@Cirion

I meant hours and hours over the course of time--cumulatively--not in one stint. But my point still stands.

@ecstatichamster

Anything in particular to review? I've seen his website. There's way too much information to wade through practically speaking. This guy makes Ray Peat's articles look like a walk in the park, btw.

I'll save everyone the time to cut out the important "how to" in his 80+ document explaining God know's what:

"The next day, have your coffee, warm yourself up, jump into a hot shower, push your temperature up to 99°F=37.2°C. Then get out of the shower and very quickly dry off and put on lots of heavy clothing. With luck, your temperature will stay up for about an hour, and then it will drop. When it drops, you will quickly become exhausted. This day will be a complete waste, but things WILL improve.

The next day do the same, only your temperature will stay up for ~2 hours. Each successive day your temperature will stay up a little longer, until after ~2 weeks it will stay up all day long. At that point you are officially “reset”, though you may not be recovered from the process."

Source: http://www.fixlowbodytemp.com/papers/How can I apply model based reasoning to cure my incurable illness.doc (Page 28, section starts previous page)

But if that's all you're suggesting (and during the summer)--Heck, I'll give it a shot. Until then I'll keep looking for other things that raise my core and limb temperature.

Plus, you never mentioned why sitting in a sauna would be any different--again his stuff just sounds coo-coo and he doesn't site any relevant studies--so, all I have is your word which is based on his word which doesn't seem to be based on any objective observations. I question it, but if it does actually produce some results in some of the population, what do I have to lose other than a few afternoons?
Steve said that you need to keep the temp up for over 3 hours to get the body used to it. That is the reset. That just means your body finds the temp safe and you still need to build the habit of high temps during the day into your body. Also, you should get some sugar during resets, because running out will kill progress and crash metabolism.

Elize

I feel warmer taking 10 000 IU vitamin D3 drops 3 hours after having taken my thyroid meds.

Cirion

Just had 100 gram fat (only 4 of which was PUFA), 200 gram protein, and 800 gram carb yesterday and woke up today with temp of 98.3F. My best waking temp in a while

OJ, 1% fat milk, maple syrup, coconut oil, cheddar cheese

fradon

i've been taking copper chelate by solgar. i don't get chills anymore. was freezing cold today and didn't wear my jacket but everyone else did.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals