Disappointing K2 study

tankasnowgod

I'm skeptical K2 MK-4 is really so powerful. Many people take milligrams of it every day, some along with Vitamin D3, and they still have cavities, heart disease, and other issues.
Who are you referring to? In my personal life, I don't know of anyone who supplements K2, other than myself (and I have been using it for a decade). I don't have issues with cavities or heart disease, but don't think those are usually a concern for men at my age, either. All the people I know who had some form of heart disease (or other degenerative diseases) hadn't even heard of K2. Same with cavities.

Limon9

As other users already mentioned, most people in that trial were on statins. Statins are actually known to increase vascular calcification, so I am not even sure how they are still prescribed as "therapy" for CVD, but that is a separate topic. Assuming MK-7 and vitamin D worked, this trial actually showed that those vitamins managed to block the pro-calcification effects of statins - i.e. the overall effects on calcification was null, despite the usage of pro-calcification statins. Yay!
In addition, MK-7 is not the form usable by the human body, as other users also mentioned. Its long side chain will have to get cleaved a few times and eventually get shortened to become MK-4. So, since MK-7 is administered in microgram (mcg) amounts, at best you'd be getting mcg amounts of MK-4 as a metabolite. However, in order for MK-4 to have an effect on bone resorption, human studies have shown that at least ~1mg daily is needed, and at least 5mg daily are needed for optimal effect.
"...Fifteen healthy males aged 25.0 years (median) participated in a non-placebo-controlled dose-examination study. They received menaquinone-4 daily for 5 weeks at 0, 300, 600, 900, and 1500 μg/day in weeks 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5, respectively. Compared with baseline, serum γ-carboxylated osteocalcin levels were significantly greater at an intake of 900 μg/day or more;..."

So, with the MK-7 administration of mcg amounts in this study getting mg amounts of MK-4 is impossible. I still view the study results as good though. We now know that vitamin K can prevent the calcification effects of statins:): The bad news is that Big Pharma will stop at nothing in its quest to bash effective, OTC therapies while the real villain is its own toxic drugs (statins in this case). Just a few months ago they were again bashing aspirin, while the real culprit were the blood-thinners aspirin often gets co-administered with.
@tankasnowgod @Ras @EvanHinkle @crazypatriot @competentmouser

Vitamin K2 seems quite easy to modify, creating a unique (patentable) formulation for co-administration with statins. It's absurd and very pernicious, because the prescription of drugs continues anyway, actually strengthened by this pseudo-homeostasis concept. A drug for a drug for a drug. I know a man in this situation, who stubbornly refuses safe lipid-lowering alternatives like thyroid hormone or glycine, but is open to using K2 as a risk-reducer.

OP
I

ironfist

I really cherish this thread. I've been taking K2 in various forms over the years. I'm currently taking 5mg of MK4 per day (Carlson) and 100mcg of MK7 per day (now).

Occasionally I take the vitamin K with 6 and 9 in it, too.

I was taking Life Extension Super K back in the day, yet I read an article that it was only like 25% trans MK7. Now I take a different kind that contains MenaQ so according to their website it's trans type.

Weston A Price has been debunked to the end of the world and back, so i am not even sure why he still comes up in conversation or why anybody thinks he has anything valid to say about oral health(he discovered Vitamin K but he never understood anything about the thing he discovered). Nobody has reversed late progression cavities with fat soluble vitamins and this is just fact and the ghee(lets be honest, it's overpriced ghee)his money grabbing foundation promote is a borderline scam. I went down the WAP rabbit hole and spent almost a 1000quid on Green Pasture products like that toxic FCLO and the ripoff butter oil when i was at the absolute worst point of my dental health, and other than doing things my dentist recommend i do, this was the biggest waste of time and money i ever spent on this

tankasnowgod

Weston A Price has been debunked to the end of the world and back, so i am not even sure why he still comes up in conversation or why anybody thinks he has anything valid to say about oral health(he discovered Vitamin K but he never understood anything about the thing he discovered).
Well, you can't "debunk" a man, so this claim isn't even relevant. If you have issues with some of his claims, that's another issue. Nobody gets anything 100% right. And just because he may have been mistaken about some things, or didn't have everything complete, that doesn't mean he has NOTHING valid to offer.
Nobody has reversed late progression cavities with fat soluble vitamins
You don't know that. There are 8 billion plus people in the world, and you haven't done case studies on all 8 billion of them.
and this is just fact and the ghee(lets be honest, it's overpriced ghee)his money grabbing foundation promote is a borderline scam. I went down the WAP rabbit hole and spent almost a 1000quid on Green Pasture products like that toxic FCLO and the ripoff butter oil when i was at the absolute worst point of my dental health, and other than doing things my dentist recommend i do, this was the biggest waste of time and money i ever spent on this
You also don't seem to understand that there is a difference between the man (who is no longer alive), the foundation named after him, and Green Pastures, which is a company that has no official affiliation with either the man, or the foundation.

Daniil

As other users already mentioned, most people in that trial were on statins. Statins are actually known to increase vascular calcification, so I am not even sure how they are still prescribed as "therapy" for CVD, but that is a separate topic. Assuming MK-7 and vitamin D worked, this trial actually showed that those vitamins managed to block the pro-calcification effects of statins - i.e. the overall effects on calcification was null, despite the usage of pro-calcification statins. Yay!
In addition, MK-7 is not the form usable by the human body, as other users also mentioned. Its long side chain will have to get cleaved a few times and eventually get shortened to become MK-4. So, since MK-7 is administered in microgram (mcg) amounts, at best you'd be getting mcg amounts of MK-4 as a metabolite. However, in order for MK-4 to have an effect on bone resorption, human studies have shown that at least ~1mg daily is needed, and at least 5mg daily are needed for optimal effect.
"...Fifteen healthy males aged 25.0 years (median) participated in a non-placebo-controlled dose-examination study. They received menaquinone-4 daily for 5 weeks at 0, 300, 600, 900, and 1500 μg/day in weeks 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5, respectively. Compared with baseline, serum γ-carboxylated osteocalcin levels were significantly greater at an intake of 900 μg/day or more;..."

So, with the MK-7 administration of mcg amounts in this study getting mg amounts of MK-4 is impossible. I still view the study results as good though. We now know that vitamin K can prevent the calcification effects of statins:): The bad news is that Big Pharma will stop at nothing in its quest to bash effective, OTC therapies while the real villain is its own toxic drugs (statins in this case). Just a few months ago they were again bashing aspirin, while the real culprit were the blood-thinners aspirin often gets co-administered with.
@tankasnowgod @Ras @EvanHinkle @crazypatriot @competentmouser

That is, do you think that K2 MK7 should be taken in milligrams?

So is this a good K2 supplement ratio wise? This is what I’m taking right now:

* and do you always have to take it with Vit D3?

Attachments

• DB8A4DCC-8400-4F80-82E2-E25E2C0CA20A.jpeg
    DB8A4DCC-8400-4F80-82E2-E25E2C0CA20A.jpeg
    175.1 KB · Views: 15
  • B5557B6E-D0B9-4CB4-8E03-AD1607187C15.jpeg
    B5557B6E-D0B9-4CB4-8E03-AD1607187C15.jpeg
    153 KB · Views: 19
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals