Diphenhydramine For Sleep

mlc2010

diphenhydramine 50mg is used for sleep, however this does not work on me, at all. Its also known as NYTOL. Does anyone know if diphenhydramine has any effect on cortisol levels? apparently it does not, maybe thats my issue

I know Melatonin lowers cortisol

haidut

Forum Supporter
mlc2010 said:
diphenhydramine 50mg is used for sleep, however this does not work on me, at all. Its also known as NYTOL. Does anyone know if diphenhydramine has any effect on cortisol levels? apparently it does not, maybe thats my issue

All H1 antagonists and some H2 antagonists have been shown to lower stress-induced cortisol. I don't know the exact dosage for Benadryl but it should lower it. The issue is that even though anti-histamines make people drowsy they do not necessarily chill them out. If you check the side effects of the older antiacid drugs that are H2 antagonists you will see nervousness and restlessness, combined with sedation. So, it is possible to be both tired and wired when taking antihistamine. In my experience, theanine is a lot better at actually making you sleep well. Cypro is great too if you persist through the first week of zombie feeling the next morning.

Vinero

Why do you think melatonin lowers cortisol levels? Ray has said multiple times in his intervieuws taking melatonin is risky since it lowers progesterone and increases estrogen. For better sleep he recommends salty carbohydrates before going to bed, among other things.

tara

Vinero said:
For better sleep he recommends salty carbohydrates before going to bed, among other things.
And maybe when you wake up in the night, too.
If I wake up in the night, just a little carby food is often enough to send me back to sleep again.

narouz

I've been having this pattern:
wake up around 4:30 AM.
Weird intermittent pulses of negative thoughts and nervosity.

On days I don't have to go to work,
the same thing occurs,
but...after like an hour or so...I go back to sleep
and can sleep pretty well then for 2 or 3 hours.

What the heck is that?

I use Benadryl a lot.
It seems to help
but it doesn't entirely over-ride it sometimes.
I need to reorder cyproheptadine.

tara

narouz said:
I've been having this pattern:
wake up around 4:30 AM.
Weird intermittent pulses of negative thoughts and nervosity.

On days I don't have to go to work,
the same thing occurs,
but...after like an hour or so...I go back to sleep
and can sleep pretty well then for 2 or 3 hours.

What the heck is that?

I use Benadryl a lot.
It seems to help
but it doesn't entirely over-ride it sometimes.
I need to reorder cyproheptadine.

Here's my guess:
blood sugar burned through sleep fasting >
blood sugar and glycogen levels drop ->
adrenaline and cortisol rise ->
stress hormones wake narouz up
and stress hormones raise blood sugar levels (wring the last of the glycogen out of liver, gluconeogenesis) ->
blood sugar level rises ->
stress hormones lower ->
narouz drops back to sleep again

Have you tried the simple small snack when you wake up tactic?

Long before reading Peat, I used to semi-joke the my best sleeping pills were the chocky bikkies by the bed.

narouz

What in the hell are chocky bikkies?!

You're probably right, tara.
I have a cream soda beside my bed for those occasions.

I guess the only short-term way to fix it
would be to set the alarm clock for 2 AM
for a snack
to head it off. :)

tara

narouz said:

for a snack

Chocolate biscuits. :) What are they called in your neck of the woods?

I think Peat may have suggested that alarm clock method for some people. I'm sure not going to try it though - alarm clocks are so alarming.
I find if I'm still lying awake after about 5 mins (estimating, cause I keep my eyes shut), its time to have a snack (formerly chocky bikky, more recently a couple of dates). If I leave it for 15 minutes or more, hoping to go back to sleep without, it takes longer to work. I also try to get something in without having to sit up or open eyes - the less I disturb the better.

haidut

Forum Supporter
tara said:
narouz said:

for a snack

Chocolate biscuits. :) What are they called in your neck of the woods?

I think Peat may have suggested that alarm clock method for some people. I'm sure not going to try it though - alarm clocks are so alarming.
I find if I'm still lying awake after about 5 mins (estimating, cause I keep my eyes shut), its time to have a snack (formerly chocky bikky, more recently a couple of dates). If I leave it for 15 minutes or more, hoping to go back to sleep without, it takes longer to work. I also try to get something in without having to sit up or open eyes - the less I disturb the better.

Try some thiamine and niacinamide combo before bed. Niacinamide is basically a benzodiazepine so it will sedate you and of course inhibit the night starvation-induced lipolysis. Thiamine will make you utilize sugar better, similar to thyroid hormone, So, even with low glycogen stores you may be able to sleep through the night. Some people have reported great benefit on sleep from Energin, which has these two vitamins and also B6 which blocks both cortisol and adrenalin as shown by the studies I posted some time ago.

mlc2010 said:

Low blood sugar will trigger adrenaline and then if your liver glycogen stores are empty it will trigger cortisol which will keep you from sleeping.

Along with theanine and niacinamide mentioned by haidut, I would add fructose powder to the stack. 5-25g of fructose powder will be shuttled straight to the liver to refill it's glycogen stores without raising insulin or otherwise jazzing you up before trying to sleep.

OP
M

mlc2010

Thanks guys, I do have some cypro

I have found that melatonin helps me sleep better, but the raising estrogen sounds about right as it brings me out in acne, or well, not exactly acne, but very small minute pimples, and when I stop melatonin, they go away

perhaps a coincedence, maybe not. I also have some cypro on hand too, might give that a try

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals