Digital Thermometers Often Read Low

JohnCC

It took me quite a while before I figured out that all the digital thermometers that I have and have used, when they beep "ready to read", actually read about 0.5-0.7 deg F lower than if I leave them in 2-3 more minutes. I find this has been true both under arm and oral.

Just a heads' up... know your thermometer :)

Cheers,
John

tara

It took me quite a while before I figured out that all the digital thermometers that I have and have used, when they beep "ready to read", actually read about 0.5-0.7 deg F lower than if I leave them in 2-3 more minutes. I find this has been true both under arm and oral.
I had a consistent bash at measuring waking temps for bit recently. I had to measure for more than five minutes for the temp to stabilise. 10 min was better than 5 mins. I'd just keep the thermometer in place and keep pushing the button to remeasure until I got at least 2, preferably 3, readings the same.

The accuracy on those is so terrible that they are nearly useless (we are talking like half to whole degrees Celsius).

I often have to leave it in for up to 5 minutes after the beep before the temperature stops increasing. I think many people here think their body temps are low when they are probably 98

Just buy alcohol thermometer if you're scared of mercury...

I take my temp several times in a row, my digital thermometer always reads a bit higher each time as it warms up.:wacky:

sweetpeat

I've had decent luck pre-warming mine. First, I put it against my skin somewhere, like under my arm, for about 30-60 seconds to take the chill off it. Then I put it in my mouth without turning it on for another 30-60 seconds. Then I turn it on and take the reading. I've checked it against my mercury thermometer and it's usually off by no more than a tenth of a degree or two.

keith

Rectal mercury thermometer, anyone? o_O

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals