Digestive Or Swedish Bitters

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I tried them but do not remember if I had any results.

juanitacarlos

I've got a bottle of swedish bitters and used it once but that sh*t is nasty. I will try it again when I get over the trauma of that first tasting. I will let you know when I do. I bought it for reflux.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

ttramone said:
I've got a bottle of swedish bitters and used it once but that sh*t is nasty. I will try it again when I get over the trauma of that first tasting. I will let you know when I do. I bought it for reflux.

You are right; NASTY! I am 3 days in and have yet to notice a benefit.

The bitter taste does actually stimulate my appetite and seems to relax my stomach and raise acidity, but I don't have any proof of their efficacy. Bitter herbs also tend to stimulate the flow of bile and intestinal peristalsis. That said, Swedish bitters often contains anthraquinones like Senna which are powerful laxatives that can cause diarrhoea or induce dependence. Other formulas with Goldenseal and Oregon Grape contain berberine, which can be very harsh on the lining of the gastrointestinal tract over time. Gentler bitters with herbs like Gentian are generally a better bet, but as far as I know, they might be oestrogenic. Bitters might stimulate your body to digest better as opposed to enzyme supplements upon which your body might grow dependent. For people with very weak digestion, bitters are probably insufficient on their own.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

So for really compromised digestion, what would work better than bitters; enyzmes and HCL?

Yes, exactly. Betaine HCL is very helpful. Does anyone know if hypothyroidism can contribute to low stomach acid?

Enzyme supplements containing pancreatin as well as bile extract are especially helpful if you have trouble with fat. There's a good one called Panplex 2-phase by Integrative Therapeutics. I've noticed no benefits from plant-based enzymes except for bromelain and papain, which can help with protein digestion, but some people can be allergic to them.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
harnessedinslums said:
Does anyone know if hypothyroidism can contribute to low stomach acid?
Definitely.

BingDing

There is an n=2 account of Chinese gentian here for "sluggish" liver. She rejects several herbals as being estrogenic, so maybe gentian is not. I don't think I've ever seen a similar summary of all the things the liver does.

burtlancast

I've used it as a general tonic; was quite impressed by it, as it clearly increased my general energy and well being levels ( taste was hard, but i don't care).

Saddly, i had to stop taking it after 3 days, as it began triggering migraines. Otherwise, i would be consuming it every day.

There's quite a trail of medical successes in various diseases, notably some notorious and seemingly miraculous cancer case, backed by many scientists.

Look for Maria Treben, a world famous german herbalist who used it extensively.

tomisonbottom

iLoveSugar said:
So for really compromised digestion, what would work better than bitters; enyzmes and HCL?

Bitters worked great for me, although I have to take a LOT, which gets expensive.
But it worked wonders for digestion when I took enough. Way better then HCL for me. But maybe the hcl I took wasn't a good brand or something.....not sure

Amazoniac

I wonder if this is why bitter herbs are said to stimulate digestion? (and help move the bile? clean the liver?)
Tongkat Ali is extremely bitter, I think Tribulus Terrestris isn't bad either, I always thought that the bitterness and the effects on digestion or liver could be part of the reasons why it has good effects in some people.
Caffeine?