Digestion Weird After Having Eaten Liver For A Week

julcreutz

Before eating the liver my digestion was perfect (eating A LOT of peeled white potatoes). No wiping, farts don't smell.
Then, I started eating liver daily (about 20g) for a week. It made me break out in acne and my poop got really dark. I stopped. From then on, my digestion has been worse than before.
My farts smell and I no longer have no-wipes.
What is wrong?

redsun

Before eating the liver my digestion was perfect (eating A LOT of peeled white potatoes). No wiping, farts don't smell.
Then, I started eating liver daily (about 20g) for a week. It made me break out in acne and my poop got really dark. I stopped. From then on, my digestion has been worse than before.
My farts smell and I no longer have no-wipes.
What is wrong?

20 grams daily? Is that number right? And was it adult beef liver or veal or something else? And what about the actual digestion? Like you have indigestion and poor digestion of foods you eat as well?

OP
J

julcreutz

20 grams daily? Is that number right? And was it adult beef liver or veal or something else? And what about the actual digestion? Like you have indigestion and poor digestion of foods you eat as well?

Yes, about 20g a day. Veal liver.
I wouldn't say it's indigestion really. It's just that my farts started smelling of anything at all (before they didn't) and I have to wipe (I didn't have to before)

Yes, about 20g a day. Veal liver.
I wouldn't say it's indigestion really. It's just that my farts started smelling of anything at all (before they didn't) and I have to wipe (I didn't have to before)

Do you eat liver separately or with potatoes? Changes in diet obviously cause alterations in gut flora.

mrchibbs

Do you eat liver separately or with potatoes? Changes in diet obviously cause alterations in gut flora.

Obviously, introducing new foods can always change digestion for a while. Have you eaten liver before? From the source you got it from?

Still, this is strange. 20g of liver means what exactly? How did you eat it?

Have you been getting lots of sunshine lately? Any other factor you changed in the last while?

OP
J

julcreutz

No, it's literally the only variable that changed. It's strange, that never happened before. I've eaten liver both regularly and infrequently on zerocarb. Was always veal liver.

mrchibbs

No, it's literally the only variable that changed. It's strange, that never happened before. I've eaten liver both regularly and infrequently on zerocarb. Was always veal liver.

Then I don't think it was the liver. Something else must have happened, it's normal for digestion to fluctuate.
You must have caught a bug or something.

mrchibbs

Can I ask why you eat that much liver?

20g daily is not a lot of liver. It's less than 10% of a cup.
A perfect amount if you ask me.

Anders86

So Peat says that starting a Vitamin A supplement can give Vitamin A deficiency symptom, like acne. Dark poop is often a sign on constipation, maybe your digestion has actually been better and excrementing constipated poops? I for one has been experimenting with 100g a day with rigid T3 supplementation with great benefits especially with gut and bowel movements.

Greg

Did you eat some animal foods alongside potatoes before you introduced liver? Introduction of animal meats changes gut flora. The problem in your case may not be digestion of liver, but digestion of potatoes, as the original state of gut flora which was adapted to digesting potatoes may have been altered.

OP
J

julcreutz

Did you eat some animal foods alongside potatoes before you introduced liver? Introduction of animal meats changes gut flora. The problem in your case may not be digestion of liver, but digestion of potatoes, as the original state of gut flora which was adapted to digesting potatoes may have been altered.

Well, I was carnivore for about 9 months prior. So theres that haha. I only reintroduced potatoes a few weeks before the liver and everything was going well, until I consumed the liver

Greg

Well, I was carnivore for about 9 months prior. So theres that haha. I only reintroduced potatoes a few weeks before the liver and everything was going well, until I consumed the liver

Digestion of meat is usually unproblematic. But gut flora needed for digestion of a particular plant food is sometimes very fragile and the introduction of some new food can completely disturb it.

Last edited:

Diokine

Hi there,

I think that we can examine the change in bowel habits as a change in microbiome composition and a change in phase of the nervous system tones that control gut motility. But how was such a drastic change induced by consumption of less than 1oz liver daily for a week?

Firstly the Linus Pauling institute defines a tolerable upper intake level for preformed vitamin A RAE (retinoic acid equivalents) at 3000 ug RAE/Day. According to the site, cooked beef liver contains 6,421 ug RAE per 68g. So 20g of liver would be ~1888ug RAE, under the tolerable limit but more than double the recommended daily allowance of 900 ug RAE / day.

Vitamin A is complex. If we look at the structures most effected by deficiency or excess, they tend to be more the more delicate structures such as eyes and fine epithelial ducts. So I think it's important that the right balance is struck. I use the analogy of a construction site foreman. If he forgot his glasses (less proper influence of vitamin A,) then he won't be able to read the blueprints or contracts well and may miss details, and he won't be able to see how well his employees are building according to plan. But if he shows up one day with glasses, he may see that his employees have been cutting corners and making an unsafe building. He may go into a rage, and fire them, and may even demolish the shoddy structures they were building (even if they were up the standards the employees thought appropriate.)

So to build a solid building, you need honest, faithful employees (cells that understand their role and can accordingly accommodate others,) you need good building materials that are up to spec (nutrients processed by the gut and liver,) you need delivery trucks that are running well with drivers that pay attention (transport molecules, binding proteins,) and on top of it all you need bosses who understand the plans well enough to make sure they are being carried out (wisdom of cells and genetic blueprints.)

We also need a little sugar for our building to go up, and that's the sweat on the brow of laborers. People have to physically move the materials into place according to their own understanding. Of course, constructing a building makes a lot of trash, and that trash has to be dealt with. Sometimes clever laborers can figure ways to reuse leftover scraps of material, saving costs. If this is done appropriately, money is saved, and the boss is happy. But this takes a very clever and faithful laborer, one who can see and understand much of how the building goes together. Many bosses aren't comfortable with this, for good reason. A mistake could damage the whole building. So a lot of the time the trash is just taken out to the landfill by dump trucks.

But what if the employees are in a hurry? Deadlines and commitments and pressures from the bosses make them work much harder than they are comfortable. They start to leave trash around, slowing everyone down and raising the stress levels. Luckily they have each other to joke around with during the day or they might just burn the whole thing to the ground. In their hurry the workers start to generate a lot of scrap, wasting good materials and making more trash.

The building we are talking about here is one cell. The body would then be made up of billions of these buildings, making a huge city. In a city you have transients and vagrants, rats and other pests that make it hard to run efficiently. Many times they eat the scraps and it keeps them happy enough, and this can be beneficial for the whole city, if kept in check.

To conclude this long winded analogy - vitamin A can increase the "perception" of your cells to their environment. But if the environment they are in isn't what they want, they might get angry or frustrated. Sometimes this is good as it can encourage them to work harder towards the plan. Sometimes this is bad as they may just give up. I think ultimately what happened is the intake of liver, with its preformed retinoic acid equivalent, increased the production of bile by your liver. This bile is meant to remove some toxins and to increase absorption of lipid and fat soluble nutrients. In our building, we have to have exterior construction materials that are impervious to water. Painted or finished wood works well, but with enough time and harsh elements, the paint breaks down and has to be redone. If you have a population of bugs that eats the old paint and you suddenly switch brands, they may not want to eat the new stuff. If you switch brands and change the trash schedule, they may get really confused. Maybe they'll get used to it and be happy. Maybe they'll move out and new bugs will move in. Maybe this is all nonsense?