Digesting Frozen V Fresh Milk

Vileplume

I have a great raw goat milk hookup, who stores a lot of the milk frozen so I can still pick it up when the goats are breeding, not in milk.

But the frozen-then-thawed milk becomes chunky, which I’ve read is due to the fat unemulsifying. I’ve had some general tummy troubles lately and haven’t yet isolated if it’s due to the milk.

Anyone out there drink frozen milk? Frozen whole milk? Do you notice any difference in how fresh v frozen milk affects your digestion?

Sefton10

I have a great raw goat milk hookup, who stores a lot of the milk frozen so I can still pick it up when the goats are breeding, not in milk.

But the frozen-then-thawed milk becomes chunky, which I’ve read is due to the fat unemulsifying. I’ve had some general tummy troubles lately and haven’t yet isolated if it’s due to the milk.

Anyone out there drink frozen milk? Frozen whole milk? Do you notice any difference in how fresh v frozen milk affects your digestion?
Never had any issues with frozen raw cow's milk. Once defrosted it's the same consistency as before it was frozen in my experience and tastes/digests the same. I can only justify the cost of raw if I can freeze in bulk as the cost to keep buying fresh (UK) is prohibitive. I've been getting raw for a few months but am trying a pasteurised, organic non-homogenised at the moment (it's around a third of the price of raw) and alternate between 1L of each - haven't noticed much of a difference as yet, just in tase really - raw is definitely nicer.

J

james2388

If he is freezing milk.... then why the hell does he not just make ice cream with it. Salt, Sugar, Coffee, Vanilla, Chocolate.

Absolutely repulsed by the idea of thawing milk. People made cheese/ fermented diary products for a reason and as nature intended/allowed for long term use.

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

If he is freezing milk.... then why the hell does he not just make ice cream with it. Salt, Sugar, Coffee, Vanilla, Chocolate.

Absolutely repulsed by the idea of thawing milk. People made cheese/ fermented diary products for a reason and as nature intended/allowed for long term use.

The goat farm is about two hours away from my house, so I pick up about 12 gallons at a time and store them in my freezer. Making that much ice cream is just impractical, and I can’t ask the goat farmer to do that for me. I do love ice cream though and experimenting with smaller batches of raw goat ice cream could be fun/tasty. Thanks for the suggestion.

Cheese and yogurt are different products than milk, and cheese in particular has no carbohydrate. I would prefer to get some carbs from dairy. Plus, I like milk so I’d prefer to drink it in milk form.

Last edited:
OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

Never had any issues with frozen raw cow's milk. Once defrosted it's the same consistency as before it was frozen in my experience and tastes/digests the same. I can only justify the cost of raw if I can freeze in bulk as the cost to keep buying fresh (UK) is prohibitive. I've been getting raw for a few months but am trying a pasteurised, organic non-homogenised at the moment (it's around a third of the price of raw) and alternate between 1L of each - haven't noticed much of a difference as yet, just in tase really - raw is definitely nicer.

Thanks for sharing. When I thaw mine, there’s this certain yellow you liquid that separates, and when I shake it back together, it’s noticeably chunkier then when fresh. This doesn’t happen with every batch though, so I think it must have to do with the fat level, or maybe how long the milk stays frozen. Blending it does seem to help de-chunk it.

Interesting to hear about your switch to pasteurized! I’d love to make that switch too someday, once I get my digestion in check

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

Heat it up on the stove just until warm prior to consumption.

Thanks! I have recently tried warming my milk in the microwave and noticed it does help with digestion. Is heating on stove preferable to microwave?

Also, I’m testing out if milk might digest better alone (with just sugar), 20 minutes before any other solid foods, instead of with a meal. Any experience with this?

Summer

Thanks! I have recently tried warming my milk in the microwave and noticed it does help with digestion. Is heating on stove preferable to microwave?

Also, I’m testing out if milk might digest better alone (with just sugar), 20 minutes before any other solid foods, instead of with a meal. Any experience with this?

I personally try to avoid microwaves when I can. I know the stove is less convenient, but it doesn’t nuke your food.

In my experience, it’s always best to consume milk alone. Preferably a couple hours before/after eating anything else, although lately I have been breaking that rule with cereal, and it has come with a light amount of digestive grumbling hahah. Worth it for now due to my work schedule.

Jam

Give them a bottle of Lugol's 5% and convince them to add 1 drop per 1 liter of the raw milk they prepare for you. It will last weeks in the fridge.

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

Give them a bottle of Lugol's 5% and convince them to add 1 drop per 1 liter of the raw milk they prepare for you. It will last weeks in the fridge.
Interesting. Thanks for the tip. Do you know why iodine has this effect? Antibacterial?

Jam

Interesting. Thanks for the tip. Do you know why iodine has this effect? Antibacterial?
Yes, it keeps the bad bacteria out but doesn't harm the good ones. I've made kefir before with milk containing Lugol's. And yet that same milk (raw goat's milk) stays unspoiled for weeks in the fridge with just a drop. Any more than that and you'll taste the iodine.

Dr. B

freezing damages the nutrients, maybe not as much as heating/pasteurizing. but if you're heating and freezing you are damaging even more. i would find another farm that provides fresh raw milk. they may not have many animals, or much volume. the farms ive seen, usually only freeze things like colostrum.

room temperature milk is easier to drink a large amount of, any cold drinks seem to lower body temps more, even though its temporary.

Yes, it keeps the bad bacteria out but doesn't harm the good ones. I've made kefir before with milk containing Lugol's. And yet that same milk (raw goat's milk) stays unspoiled for weeks in the fridge with just a drop. Any more than that and you'll taste the iodine.

i think the iodine drastically increases hydrogen peroxide levels which can cause tissue/organ damage if you don't have enough catalase, glutathione/glutathione peroxidase. you would likely need to supplement some glutathione boosters when using it, in my case selenium and vitamin c and b vitamins weren't enough to handle 3-4mg potassium iodide, do you know of any other good glutathione or catalase boosting nutrients or supplements? ive heard liver has catalase, but i wonder if that may be fresh raw liver only since it's an enzyme.

Jam

i think the iodine drastically increases hydrogen peroxide levels which can cause tissue/organ damage if you don't have enough catalase, glutathione/glutathione peroxidase. you would likely need to supplement some glutathione boosters when using it, in my case selenium and vitamin c and b vitamins weren't enough to handle 3-4mg potassium iodide, do you know of any other good glutathione or catalase boosting nutrients or supplements? ive heard liver has catalase, but i wonder if that may be fresh raw liver only since it's an enzyme.
When you say you could not handle 3-4mg of potassium iodide, what was the exact product you took that provided the KI?

Dr. B

When you say you could not handle 3-4mg of potassium iodide, what was the exact product you took that provided the KI?
terrys tri iodine 3mg capsule was one, and sometimes I would combine it with life extensions 1mg iodine, which I think was called sea iodine or something...
i also had other things I was regularly using at the time and continued using, like a b complex, vitamin C, some selenium

Jam

None of those are pure potassium iodide.

Iodine [from Sea-Iodine™ Complex Blend (organic kelp and bladderwrack extracts, potassium iodide)] 1000mcg, microcrystalline cellulose, vegetable cellulose (capsule), silica, stearic acid.

Bunch of junk in there. Also, kelp and bladderwrack can be contaminated with arsenic and other heavy metals.

The Tri-iodine is also garbage.

Dr. B

None of those are pure potassium iodide.

Bunch of junk in there. Also, kelp and bladderwrack can be contaminated with arsenic and other heavy metals.

The Tri-iodine is also garbage.
whats wrong with the tri iodine, i think its mostly potassium iodide, no filler ingredients. maybe has some molecular iodine or sodium iodide mixed in, isnt molecular iodine the same form as lugols?

Jam

whats wrong with the tri iodine, i think its mostly potassium iodide, no filler ingredients. maybe has some molecular iodine or sodium iodide mixed in, isnt molecular iodine the same form as lugols?
IngredientAmount/ServingDaily Value
Iodine3,000 mcg (3 mg)2,000%
(from potassium iodide 1,400 mcg, sodium iodide 1,400 mcg, and molecular iodine [from kelp] 200 mcg)
OR
Iodine6,250 mcg (6.25 mg)4,167%
(from potassium iodide 2,935 mcg, sodium iodide 2,935 mcg, and molecular iodine [from kelp] 380 mcg)
OR
Iodine12,500 mcg (12.5 mg)8,333%
(from potassium iodide 6,060 mcg, sodium iodide 6,060 mcg, molecular iodine [from kelp] 380 mcg)
OR
Iodine25,000 mcg (25 mg)16,667%
(from potassium iodide 12,430 mcg, sodium iodide 12,430 mcg, molecular iodine [from kelp] 140 mcg)
Other Ingredients: microcrystalline cellulose, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose (vegetable cellulose capsule), silica.

It is obviously not the same as Lugol's. Lugol's is USP-grade I2 and KI in distilled water.

Dr. B

IngredientAmount/ServingDaily Value
Iodine3,000 mcg (3 mg)2,000%
(from potassium iodide 1,400 mcg, sodium iodide 1,400 mcg, and molecular iodine [from kelp] 200 mcg)
OR
Iodine6,250 mcg (6.25 mg)4,167%
(from potassium iodide 2,935 mcg, sodium iodide 2,935 mcg, and molecular iodine [from kelp] 380 mcg)
OR
Iodine12,500 mcg (12.5 mg)8,333%
(from potassium iodide 6,060 mcg, sodium iodide 6,060 mcg, molecular iodine [from kelp] 380 mcg)
OR
Iodine25,000 mcg (25 mg)16,667%
(from potassium iodide 12,430 mcg, sodium iodide 12,430 mcg, molecular iodine [from kelp] 140 mcg)
Other Ingredients: microcrystalline cellulose, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose (vegetable cellulose capsule), silica.

It is obviously not the same as Lugol's. Lugol's is USP-grade I2 and KI in distilled water.
ah yeah, do you think theres issues using sodium iodide instead of potassium iodide? are there certain toxic effects specific to sodium iodide? and as far as kelp isnt that more tolerable since its a whole food source, just has the risk factor of heavy metals? in 200mcg there may not be much room for any significant metals? I think kelp has some sort of goitrogenic factors, so it may actually not have a notable effect at all, its more of a net neutral effect since the iodine gets cancelled out by the goitrogenic factors?

You don't feel that that makes indigestion? In Ayurveda it's recommended to not eat milk and fish at the same meal because they won't digest well together (unless maybe they're simmered together for a long time, which blends the different digestive qualities better), and I guessed it's because of the iodine in the fish, and I've felt nauseous eating fish and milk together (that weren't cooked together). Maybe one drop of Lugol's isn't enough to do that, maybe it causes a tiny bit of indigestion that's a worthwhile tradeoff, maybe I'm wrong about iodine being what makes fish and milk not combine well sometimes.

Dr. B

You don't feel that that makes indigestion? In Ayurveda it's recommended to not eat milk and fish at the same meal because they won't digest well together (unless maybe they're simmered together for a long time, which blends the different digestive qualities better), and I guessed it's because of the iodine in the fish, and I've felt nauseous eating fish and milk together (that weren't cooked together). Maybe one drop of Lugol's isn't enough to do that, maybe it causes a tiny bit of indigestion that's a worthwhile tradeoff, maybe I'm wrong about iodine being what makes fish and milk not combine well sometimes.
milk has iodine, maybe theyre in different forms. Milk may have actual thyroid hormone apparently.