Digesting Frozen V Fresh Milk

Vileplume

I have a great raw goat milk hookup, who stores a lot of the milk frozen so I can still pick it up when the goats are breeding, not in milk.

But the frozen-then-thawed milk becomes chunky, which I’ve read is due to the fat unemulsifying. I’ve had some general tummy troubles lately and haven’t yet isolated if it’s due to the milk.

Anyone out there drink frozen milk? Frozen whole milk? Do you notice any difference in how fresh v frozen milk affects your digestion?

Sefton10

I have a great raw goat milk hookup, who stores a lot of the milk frozen so I can still pick it up when the goats are breeding, not in milk.

But the frozen-then-thawed milk becomes chunky, which I’ve read is due to the fat unemulsifying. I’ve had some general tummy troubles lately and haven’t yet isolated if it’s due to the milk.

Anyone out there drink frozen milk? Frozen whole milk? Do you notice any difference in how fresh v frozen milk affects your digestion?
Never had any issues with frozen raw cow's milk. Once defrosted it's the same consistency as before it was frozen in my experience and tastes/digests the same. I can only justify the cost of raw if I can freeze in bulk as the cost to keep buying fresh (UK) is prohibitive. I've been getting raw for a few months but am trying a pasteurised, organic non-homogenised at the moment (it's around a third of the price of raw) and alternate between 1L of each - haven't noticed much of a difference as yet, just in tase really - raw is definitely nicer.

J

james2388

If he is freezing milk.... then why the hell does he not just make ice cream with it. Salt, Sugar, Coffee, Vanilla, Chocolate.

Absolutely repulsed by the idea of thawing milk. People made cheese/ fermented diary products for a reason and as nature intended/allowed for long term use.

Vileplume

If he is freezing milk.... then why the hell does he not just make ice cream with it. Salt, Sugar, Coffee, Vanilla, Chocolate.

Absolutely repulsed by the idea of thawing milk. People made cheese/ fermented diary products for a reason and as nature intended/allowed for long term use.

The goat farm is about two hours away from my house, so I pick up about 12 gallons at a time and store them in my freezer. Making that much ice cream is just impractical, and I can’t ask the goat farmer to do that for me. I do love ice cream though and experimenting with smaller batches of raw goat ice cream could be fun/tasty. Thanks for the suggestion.

Cheese and yogurt are different products than milk, and cheese in particular has no carbohydrate. I would prefer to get some carbs from dairy. Plus, I like milk so I’d prefer to drink it in milk form.

Last edited:

Vileplume

Never had any issues with frozen raw cow's milk. Once defrosted it's the same consistency as before it was frozen in my experience and tastes/digests the same. I can only justify the cost of raw if I can freeze in bulk as the cost to keep buying fresh (UK) is prohibitive. I've been getting raw for a few months but am trying a pasteurised, organic non-homogenised at the moment (it's around a third of the price of raw) and alternate between 1L of each - haven't noticed much of a difference as yet, just in tase really - raw is definitely nicer.

Thanks for sharing. When I thaw mine, there’s this certain yellow you liquid that separates, and when I shake it back together, it’s noticeably chunkier then when fresh. This doesn’t happen with every batch though, so I think it must have to do with the fat level, or maybe how long the milk stays frozen. Blending it does seem to help de-chunk it.

Interesting to hear about your switch to pasteurized! I’d love to make that switch too someday, once I get my digestion in check

Vileplume

Heat it up on the stove just until warm prior to consumption.

Thanks! I have recently tried warming my milk in the microwave and noticed it does help with digestion. Is heating on stove preferable to microwave?

Also, I’m testing out if milk might digest better alone (with just sugar), 20 minutes before any other solid foods, instead of with a meal. Any experience with this?

Summer

Thanks! I have recently tried warming my milk in the microwave and noticed it does help with digestion. Is heating on stove preferable to microwave?

Also, I’m testing out if milk might digest better alone (with just sugar), 20 minutes before any other solid foods, instead of with a meal. Any experience with this?

I personally try to avoid microwaves when I can. I know the stove is less convenient, but it doesn’t nuke your food.

In my experience, it’s always best to consume milk alone. Preferably a couple hours before/after eating anything else, although lately I have been breaking that rule with cereal, and it has come with a light amount of digestive grumbling hahah. Worth it for now due to my work schedule.