Different Temp Results From Various Thermometers

Vinny

So, I took today my temps, at same time of course, in fasting state, in the following order:

1. Digital thermometer, under armpit - 36.2 C

2. Mercury thermometer, under armpit - 36.5 C

3. Infrared thermometer, brand name MEDISANA, made in Germany:
- forehead - 37.0 C
- ear - 37.2 C

What to do with these numbers, folks? Which one is correct?

lampofred

I've heard Mercury is most reliable and I use a pseudo mercury one that I have to put under my tongue for 5 min because it is most similar to the temps I get at the doctor's office. I don't trust the electronic ones. The fluctuate by 1.5 to 2 degrees on readings within minutes of each other, so imo they are not accurate at all

shepherdgirl

I found that, for digital thermometers, the temperature shown changes significantly over the course of ten minutes. I leave the thermometer (digital or otherwise) in my armpit for 10 minutes for a better reading.
The armpit, forehead and ear may have slightly different temps.
To gauge relative changes in temp, try to consistently take temp at the same place - armpit, for ex. Also take temp using the same thermometer. and What I mean is, if you are only taking one reading per day, don't use different thermometers for this reading, because one thermometer could overestimate and one could underestimate, and you won't know what is happening to your temp.
Perhaps you could get readings on two thermometers at the same time, i.e. stick both in your armpit at once? Then you could check the relative changes in temp on each thermometer, and see if they're telling you the same thing.

revenant

Yeah, keep them long enough and they will start giving more similar readings. With digital thermometers I get less than 36 Celsius under armpit if I check it at the beep.

OP
Vinny

Vinny

I took today my temp with mercury thermometer:

1. under armpit - 36.4
2. in the rectum (for the first time in my life) - 37.2 (this is what the infrared one shows in the ear)

So, can I conclude, that the rectum temp is the one that shows THE REAL body temp? If yes, it probably means that my temperature/metabolism is fine, and I have to look somewhere else for the answer why I feel so bad?

Do you measure your rectal temp, guys?

No one knows if the infrared thermometers are reliable? I sow once they use them in a hospital....

tara

What to do with these numbers, folks? Which one is correct?
I agree with the folks who said you have to leave the digital ones in place for several minutes for the temp to stabilise. At least 5 mins, maybe up to to 10. I leave mine in till I get at least 2 consecutive readings the same. That's always quite a bit higher than the first beep.

I would guess that the ear temp is closer to core temp because it is more internal, but I can't speak to the technology itself.

OP
Vinny

Vinny

I agree with the folks who said you have to leave the digital ones in place for several minutes for the temp to stabilise. At least 5 mins, maybe up to to 10. I leave mine in till I get at least 2 consecutive readings the same. That's always quite a bit higher than the first beep.

I would guess that the ear temp is closer to core temp because it is more internal, but I can't speak to the technology itself.
Thank you, tara.
So, you haven`t used infrared one?

OP
Vinny

Vinny

I read that the rectal temp is the best. If we assume we can trust the mercury thermometer (which gave the same result like the infrared one), is then 37.2 C a good enough indicator for metabolic health?

tara

So, you haven`t used infrared one?
No, but I've been curious about them and considered it.

AIUI, 37.2 seems like a healthy body temp if it is due to base metabolism. There are other factors that can temporarily raise body temps, like stress, exercise, fever while responding to infection etc.
Having 2 thermometers sounds even better than one, if they agree.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals