Different Sources Of Gelatine

hoppimike

What is the difference?

Like, here in the UK I buy this stuff:

dr-oetker-gelatine-70gr.jpg

It's quite cheap and stuff.

What is potentially wrong with it, and what should we be looking for?

Thanks dudes :)

Hoppi

cliff

I use knox gelatin(which is probably similar to the stuff you get) personally, I asked ray about the quality and he said he was unsure as he hasn't used it in many years but I seem to do fine with it.

OP
hoppimike

hoppimike

cliff said:
I use knox gelatin(which is probably similar to the stuff you get) personally, I asked ray about the quality and he said he was unsure as he hasn't used it in many years but I seem to do fine with it.

ah I see. Yeah I've heard warnings against certain types of gelatine, etc.

Clearly it isn't too clear cut anyway! :)

narouz

I also heard that if you eat undissolved gelatin
it can cause gas, bloating, digestive travails....

Not from Peat.
Just in commentary from others who'd tried it that way.

I took some Bernard Jenson brand capsules a long time ago.
I didn't notice anything weird.

J

j.

This is from the man himself:

Pigs' and chickens' feet are good sources of gelatin; pigs' ears and snouts are often used for food, too. Puffed pork skin, chicharron, is a tasty way to get it. Ox-tail soup is another food with a high gelatin content.

ken

I get Now beef gelatin from amazon.com. About eight dollars a pound. I generally steam it with espresso machine in milk with sugar cocoa and salt.

Jenn

eVitamin sells Now brand for less than amazon at this point in time. Azure Standard sells beef gelatin in bulk. Dutch valley carries gelatin. www.Bulkfoods .com sells it too. Knox is pork gelatin, has a slightly different smell. It's also about $22/lb if purchased in the little packets. I go through 5 lbs in a month sometimes...it pays to shop around. ;)

CoolTweetPete

Great Lakes collagen is fairly well priced, and comes from grass-fed cows according to their site. Other than that I sometimes switch it up with Now Foods gelatin mentioned above.

Something about blooming the gelatin and the gelatinous consistency (obviously) it takes on seems like it would be more beneficial than the plain mixable collagen powder for some reason.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Anybody use Great Lakes gelatin? Or is it not good quality or too expensive
I like Great Lakes both the red and green cans. I might try the HealthNatura collagen next though because I like ordering from as few places as possible due to convenience and shipping cost. It's actually pretty awesome lately because a peatarian can get just about anything one might need supplement wise between IdeaLabs and HealthNatura. I remember the Dark Ages where I had to order things from 10 different places and search online (prior to toxinless) for hours.

Velve921

I have a friend in Russia who has not found access to gelatin there. Does anyone know a gelatin source he can have shipped to Russia?

Hazarlar

I have a friend in Russia who has not found access to gelatin there. Does anyone know a gelatin source he can have shipped to Russia?

You mean access to bulk gelatin? If just some gelatin, then looking to the supermarket would help.