Differences In Incandescent Lights

J

j.

I went to the store and was looking at incandescent lights. Some of them were labelled "soft white". Others were labelled "spot". What are the differences between these lights from a Peat/wavelength perspective?

charlie

The Law & Order Admin
You want a clear bulb so all the light gets through. The soft white are probably painted.

J

j.

Do you know what the paint does from a health perspective?

charlie

The Law & Order Admin
It blocks light. Making it less effective.

J

j.

Charlie said:

I see. You're right, I just looked at the one that says "soft white" and it is painted. Ha, I'm a noob on lights.

J

j.

They also had one they called "reading light" which was painted blue. It seems like a bad idea.

charlie

The Law & Order Admin
Yeh, you want to go for clear light bulbs with no paint for optimal light output.

narouz

j. said:
Charlie said:

I see. You're right, I just looked at the one that says "soft white" and it is painted. Ha, I'm a noob on lights.

j.-
The cheapest incandescent for the most power in the Peat-correct wavelengths (600-850nm)
is a clear-glass 300 watt bulb made by Sylvania
for like around $4.
It doesn't have an internal reflector (like a spot- or flood-light)
so you need one of those: around $10.
I got them both a Lowe's.
So 300 watts o' Peat Power for about $13.
Not too bad.
Charlie put me onto this rig. :salute

charlie

The Law & Order Admin
narouz, he is in another country so not sure that it would be the same voltage and stuff???

narouz

Charlie said:
narouz, he is in another country so not sure that it would be the same voltage and stuff???

Oh yeah...forgot.
I think j. is a South American.
I don't know nothin' 'bout no South American voltages. :oops:

J

j.

I got my 200W clear bulb for $1. I don't know if it's the right wavelength though. I suppose they aren't likely to emit much blue light.

charlie

The Law & Order Admin
If it's a regular ole incandescent bulb you are fine.

narouz

j. said:
I got my 200W clear bulb for $1. I don't know if it's the right wavelength though. I suppose they aren't likely to emit much blue light.

Is it a regular light bulb,
or does it have an internal reflector (floodlight/spotlight)?

J

j.

narouz said:
Is it a regular light bulb,
or does it have an internal reflector (floodlight/spotlight)?

Um, how do I figure that out? Is the fact that it's completely transparent and I can look at the wall through the glass of any help?

J

j.

This is what it looks like:

charlie

The Law & Order Admin

Attachments

• 34626641.jpg
    34626641.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 656
J

j.

Haha. Yeah, I was absorbing the other Peat info in the last 10 months and didn't think much about this.

Also, I've been getting a lot of sun exposure but this feels different. I think because it doesn't generate the stressful blue light like the sun does.

charlie

The Law & Order Admin
Sit under some heat lamps and feel the stress hormones melt away. Especially when directed at your face.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
recodetosource Differences in COD LIVER OIL? Were the vikings stupid? Diet 3
Doludolu OMEGA 3 health effects | Differences in quality of supplement | Method of delivery Health 2
ScurveDream Differences between begging and working -- a comprehensive outlook of livelihood. Miscellaneous 1
Xavage Cause of differences in peoples / civilisations Political Talk, Alternative World Theories 3
Mauritio Serotonin Depletion Amplifies Distinct Human Social Emotions As A Function Of Individual Differences Scientific Studies 4
Tristan Loscha Metabolomics Study Reveals Differences Between Diabetic And Non‐diabetic Patients With Cataract Eyes, Ears, Nose and Headaches/Migraines 0
S Differences In Satiety Diet, Recipes 9
vulture What Are The Differences Between DHT Vs T Supression Hormones 0
E Experiment: Differences Between Rectal, Oral And Armpit Temperature Experiments 4
J K2 Dosage Differences K 26
A Aspirin Solubility Differences Aspirin 4
D Hair Steroid Profiling Reveals Differences In Male Pattern Baldness Between Korean & Caucas. Men Scientific Studies 26
Velve921 Differences in Epsom Salt Minerals 1
Y Peat Vs Paleo - Similarities And Differences Discussing Dietary Models 33
MaxVerstappen Woodfire vs incandescent light Light 1
Gadsie Could Incandescent Lamps Cause Skin Aging Through Infrared? Scientific Studies 2
Gadsie "Infrared" Incandescent, Same As Normal Incandescent? Light 1
N 2200k Vs 2700k Incandescent Bulbs Light 2
charlie Donald Trump Defends Bringing Back ‘Better’ Incandescent Light Bulbs Breaking News 21
cyclops Red Light Device VS Incandescent Light Bulbs? Light 3
R Can White LED's Replace Incandescent Light? Supplements 9
L BANNED: Incandescent And Halogen Light Bulbs Light 34
L Are Halogen Lamps As Good As Incandescent Lamps In Terms Of Their Spectrum? Red Light, Infrared, LLLT 20
biggirlkisss A Combo Of 130 Volt Incandescent Light Bulbs And Red Led Lights Ask For Help or Advice 0
biggirlkisss Safest Way To Set Up Incandescent Bulb 130 Volt 300 Watt Ask For Help or Advice 0
cyclops Red/Infared Light VS Incandescent Red Light, Infrared, LLLT 4
G What To Look For When Buying Incandescent Bulbs? Light 36
biggirlkisss Cri 90 Led Warm White 2700k Verus Incandescent 120volt Ask For Help or Advice 2
E Incandescent Light Bulb Ask For Help or Advice 4
R Pain And Healing: LED Vs Incandescent, Fluorescent, Laser Red Light, Infrared, LLLT 1
ReneeAnn Red Incandescent Or Far Infrared For Long Term Pain? Ask For Help or Advice 4
M Incandescent Bulbs: Can They Damage The Eyes? Red Light, Infrared, LLLT 29
Peata Into The Light [Incandescent Bulb, Experience] Red Light, Infrared, LLLT 49
jzeno Red Light: Does Anyone Actually Enjoy Red Brooder Heat Lamps More Than The LED Infrared Lights? Red Light, Infrared, LLLT 31
biggirlkisss Options For Lights Ask For Help or Advice 0
x-ray peat Ray's 250W Lights May Be Dangerous To Eyes Ray Peat Topics 24
D Vitamin D From UV (UltraViolet) Lights? Ask For Help or Advice 4
Mito Flickering Lights Treat Alzheimer's? Articles & Scientific Studies 0
biggirlkisss Very Bright Led Lights Red Ask For Help or Advice 5
C Light Search Engine Now Featuring - LIGHTS (Highlights) Ray Peat Topics 39
encerent Will Orange-tinted Glasses Block Harmful Blue Lights? Ask For Help or Advice 6
biggirlkisss Lights And Apartment Fire Hazard Ask For Help or Advice 8
W Is it safe to stare at bright lights in a dark room? Eyes, Ears, Nose and Headaches/Migraines 0
milk_lover Halogen Heater And LED Lights Setup For Red Light Therapy Red Light, Infrared, LLLT 20
R Circadian Rythm and eating when lights out Light 8
cantstoppeating Those pretty lights block navigation on mobile Suggestions, Complaints, Board Glitches 5
R Lights in Australia Ask For Help or Advice 2
I Infrared Lights - Beurer, Philips Etc Red Light, Infrared, LLLT 29
J Red, Orange, And Yellow Lights Red Light, Infrared, LLLT 4
charlie Red Light Therapy, Lights, Supplemental Lighting Red Light, Infrared, LLLT 637