Difference between sublingual vs oral for substances?

AnonE

I am wondering what the difference in absorption could be for substances when taken:

A) in powdered form under the tongue and left to dissolve, vs

B) swallowed whole in a e.g. gelatin capsule

Does the first option allow one to absorb without as much going through the liver? Is there any practical difference? I am wondering in the context of hormones, e.g. Pregnenalone, but am also curious about vitamins. In many cases I have the option between powders or capsules, and even the capsules you can open up and use as a powder.

Thanks!

Perry Staltic

Sublingual absorption is faster and probably more complete because of the longer absorption path and possible absorption issues in the gut.

OP
A

AnonE

Sublingual absorption is faster and probably more complete because of the longer absorption path and possible absorption issues in the gut.

So if a substance is quickly metabolized by the liver, sublingual will help keep it in the system longer?

BodhiBlues

The only substances that I take sublingually are L-Theanine and LSD (on rare occasions).

I take the L-Theanine sublingually because it works faster and you don't need as large a dose (around 50mg sublingually has a similar effect to 400mg orally for me).

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals