Dieting Is Stressful, And Probably Makes You Fat

haidut

Forum Supporter
There is a quote on the front page of the forum from Ray saying that chronic dieting leads to hypothyroidism. One of the mechanisms this happens through is the chronically elevated cortisol levels that dieting causes. Here is a study that discussed the effects of dieting on cortisol in humans and what would be considered "safe" dieting levels (if any).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20368473

honeybee

Dieting is one way to ensure you will be fat forever. My experience. :2cents

Katty

haidut said:
There is a quote on the front page of the forum from Ray saying that chronic dieting leads to hypothyroidism. One of the mechanisms this happens through is the chronically elevated cortisol levels that dieting causes. Here is a study that discussed the effects of dieting on cortisol in humans and what would be considered "safe" dieting levels (if any).

I was essentially a chronic dieter. However, my cortisol issues (or what I believe are cortisol issues) starting getting really bad this past fall/winter when I was re-feeding. And I'm pretty sure things aren't improving with my cortisol issues. Why would re-feeding make things worse? Wouldn't you think re-feeding would bring down cortisol levels?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Katty said:
haidut said:

I was essentially a chronic dieter. However, my cortisol issues (or what I believe are cortisol issues) starting getting really bad this past fall/winter when I was re-feeding. And I'm pretty sure things aren't improving with my cortisol issues. Why would re-feeding make things worse? Wouldn't you think re-feeding would bring down cortisol levels?

How do you know your cortisol rises when refeeding? Have you measured it in any way? Sugar and sodium, especially when taken together should bring cortisol down within minutes in most people. In fact, some physiologists I know claim that the only people they know in whom this approach does not work are 2-3 cases of Cushing disease, and even those improve over time. I'd be curious to see some data on your cortisol and how it relates to refeeding. So, share what you have please?

tara

I understand it as a great adaptation mechanism for surviving famines - reduce metabolism so we can live longer on scarce food without having to catabolise our organs too fast, and optimise fat storage when food is available to provide more fuel and better insulation to survive the next famine.

SQu

Haidut I believe I had a similar experience as Katty, based on these symptoms on stopping years of dieting in particular low carb then hcg and reintroducing sugar and eating more: rapid weight gain particularly belly fat ; no energy improvement ; loss of muscle and strength and stamina - became weak; increase in aching ; worse sleep ; pain in feet and joints. Developed fatty pad behind neck / shoulders. Husky voice for a while ( thyroid swelling maybe) I had scarcely any improvements but less constipation was one. Three years later I'm doing better but a lot of this is still with me . Fructose gives a boost which sucrose doesn't. So I don't think my body is handling glucose well yet.

I remember a quote by RP to effect that when stress hormones are high the body may turn sugar into lactic acid and fatty acids. Perhaps this explains it.

Peata

Haidut I believe I had a similar experience as Katty, based on these symptoms on stopping years of dieting in particular low carb then hcg and reintroducing sugar and eating more: rapid weight gain particularly belly fat ; no energy improvement ; loss of muscle and strength and stamina - became weak; increase in aching ; worse sleep ; pain in feet and joints. Developed fatty pad behind neck / shoulders. Husky voice for a while ( thyroid swelling maybe) I had scarcely any improvements but less constipation was one. Three years later I'm doing better but a lot of this is still with me . Fructose gives a boost which sucrose doesn't. So I don't think my body is handling glucose well yet.

I remember a quote by RP to effect that when stress hormones are high the body may turn sugar into lactic acid and fatty acids. Perhaps this explains it.

are things any better now?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

Are you taking anything to lower the fatty acids and improve insulin sensitivity? Niacinamide, aspirin, etc? After dieting, cortisol will stay high due to insulin resistance since you are not metabolizing glucose properly. The insulin resistance developed from the prolonged fat burning, of which most was probably PUFA. In many people with insulin resistance FFA do not go down after refeeding, so some help may be needed. Lowering FFA and sensitizing the cells to glucose with aspirin or thyroid should help with this. I also gained weight initially, more than 30lbs back in 2011 when I was first starting to adopt the Peat diet. Then I gradually lost it after fixing liver issues and paying attention to diet. Aspirin and niacinamide also helped me a lot. Not saying this would work for everybody. But during dieting, the floating PUFA strains the liver and causes insulin resistance in all tissues. So, keeping lipolysis down and avoiding PUFA, supplementing with liver protective substances like vitamin K and caffeine, and re-sensitizing the cells to glucose with aspirin are probably key aspects of returning to normal metabolism.

Peata

Are you taking anything to lower the fatty acids and improve insulin sensitivity? Niacinamide, aspirin, etc? After dieting, cortisol will stay high due to insulin resistance since you are not metabolizing glucose properly. The insulin resistance developed from the prolonged fat burning, of which most was probably PUFA. In many people with insulin resistance FFA do not go down after refeeding, so some help may be needed. Lowering FFA and sensitizing the cells to glucose with aspirin or thyroid should help with this. I also gained weight initially, more than 30lbs back in 2011 when I was first starting to adopt the Peat diet. Then I gradually lost it after fixing liver issues and paying attention to diet. Aspirin and niacinamide also helped me a lot. Not saying this would work for everybody. But during dieting, the floating PUFA strains the liver and causes insulin resistance in all tissues. So, keeping lipolysis down and avoiding PUFA, supplementing with liver protective substances like vitamin K and caffeine, and re-sensitizing the cells to glucose with aspirin are probably key aspects of returning to normal metabolism.

For niacinamide used for FFA, do you think 100 mg. 3 x day is enough?

brandonk

Yes, I wonder if there may be a bit of a misconception, at least in some of the posts, that table sugar will help with stress.

In very high and frequent amounts, as much as 8 ounces of sugar and 4 ounces of honey over the course of the day! sugar has been shown to help with the stress of diabetes or impaired insulin response.
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/glucose-sucrose-diabetes.shtml

But you need sufficient potassium to metabolize the glucose, and the problem is that blood potassium testing typically shows that relatively few do have sufficient potassium -- which might be something like 5 grams a day, to metabolize all that sugar! Without sufficient potassium, the glucose is never drawn into the cell, where it's needed, and the glucose just stays in the blood (along with the insulin).

A safer way to overcome the stress reaction from years of dieting is to eat saturated fat (but very little PUFAs), such as coconut oil or ketones. Saturated fat is known to stop the stress reaction perhaps by drawing glucose into the cell without the need for insulin.

Ultimately, stress blocks glucose oxidation (in the Randle competition). But saturated fat blocks stress, which allows efficient glucose oxidation to resume.

Last edited:
OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
For niacinamide used for FFA, do you think 100 mg. 3 x day is enough?

It may be, but animal and human studies on people with diabetes used 500mg x 3 daily for a total of 1,500mg. Higher doses of niacinamide have other effects in addition to blocking lipolysis. Ray also talked about this. He said the higher dose forces the cell in a healthy oxidized state, and while he did not specify the mechanism, I think the increase of NAD due to niacinamide is a big factor, as well as the potent lowering of things like TNF-a and NF-kB and that only happens with higher niacinamide doses.

Miggie

Whenever I diet i just starve myself for a short period of time. that way i can achieve the results very fast without much of a rebound. I add 100mcg t3 to make sure I don't go hypothyroid. The method above is also used by those middle eastern bodybuilders and they always come in shredded.

SQu

Are you taking anything to lower the fatty acids and improve insulin sensitivity? Niacinamide, aspirin, etc?"
Yes. Niacinamide 100mg x 3/day. Forget where on the forum I read this, but I understood more not ideal for those wishing to lose weight. Aspirin 800-1500 a day.
"After dieting, cortisol will stay high due to insulin resistance since you are not metabolizing glucose properly. The insulin resistance developed from the prolonged fat burning, of which most was probably PUFA. In many people with insulin resistance FFA do not go down after refeeding, so some help may be needed. Lowering FFA and sensitizing the cells to glucose with aspirin or thyroid should help with this."
I take 20-30mcg t3, 12 t4
"I also gained weight initially, more than 30lbs back in 2011 when I was first starting to adopt the Peat diet. Then I gradually lost it after fixing liver issues and paying attention to diet. Aspirin and niacinamide also helped me a lot. Not saying this would work for everybody. But during dieting, the floating PUFA strains the liver and causes insulin resistance in all tissues. So, keeping lipolysis down and avoiding PUFA, supplementing with liver protective substances like vitamin K and caffeine, and re-sensitizing the cells to glucose with aspirin are probably key aspects of returning to normal metabolism.[/QUOTE
Caffeine has taken time but now 900mg, helping a lot. Some gradual weight loss. All above symptoms somewhat better (18 months later!), progress still slow, estrogen still troublesome, in spite of taking progesterone.
Vit k hard to get more than mcg amounts, 30 tablet bottle = paltry <3mg total. Mail/customs disastrous so international sources not an option. I Eat liver, chard.
Starch is not a good idea for me. Euphoric then hangover, feel much better without.

Peata

See, that's what I had heard/read somewhere here too, Sue - 100 mg 3 x day. I think there is still some confusion for about niacinamide and weight loss.

I'm glad you're seeing some weight loss, Sue.

superhuman

Whenever I diet i just starve myself for a short period of time. that way i can achieve the results very fast without much of a rebound. I add 100mcg t3 to make sure I don't go hypothyroid. The method above is also used by those middle eastern bodybuilders and they always come in shredded.

I also like to do it quick since metabolic rate will not catch up so well then.
I can assure you that the middle eastern bb`ers are taking a ***t load more then just t3 to get shredded. Any BB`er that take more then 50 mcg T3 are on some serious amount of anti catabolic steroids or hormones, like clenbuterol etc etc

superhuman

im not sure RP ppl understand how important this is. This is number 2 behind calories, if you want to loose fat successfully.

nikolabeacon

Isn' t "Peating" in a same category...or maybe ....:D