Dietary Vitamin E But Not Supplemental Significantly Decreased Risk Of Parkinson

Kingpinguin

Intakes of vitamins E and C, carotenoids, vitamin supplements, and PD risk. - PubMed - NCBI

I’m curious as to why this study found that vitamin E from diet but not from supplements reduce risk of PD. This makes me believe that it was not the vitamin E in the diet that reduced the risk. And now I’m thinking foods with vitamin E content does contain high PUFA. Should not PUFA be destructive in brain aging and the destruction of neurons? Anyone got any answers or good theories as to why dietary vitamin E showed benefit. Is it a study flaw?

observer1961

Looking at the study they did not elucidate the type of vitamin E supplement. Very likely it is the alpha form. Also I am always suspicious of studies about supplements. The medical establishment does not approve of their use as they are not under their control. Our society believes "experts" and "elites" should be in charge of everything, so there is a tremendous bias against any do it yourself solution.

RWilly

Personally (and I know everyone will disagree), but I do think there are benefits to whole foods with PUFA in it like nuts and fish. There are thousands of compounds in these foods, some of which have yet to be discovered. We've evolved on these foods, so it doesn't make sense to me that they should no longer to be eaten because one of the compounds in it is PUFA. There are also PUFA protectors in these foods. Here is a debate about PUFA in whole foods: https://raypeatforum.com/community/conversations/pufas-better-than-saturated-fats.33847/

OP
Kingpinguin

Kingpinguin

Looking at the study they did not elucidate the type of vitamin E supplement. Very likely it is the alpha form. Also I am always suspicious of studies about supplements. The medical establishment does not approve of their use as they are not under their control. Our society believes "experts" and "elites" should be in charge of everything, so there is a tremendous bias against any do it yourself solution.

they didnt give vitamin E to anyone. They just looked at people who said they take vitamin E as a supplement and compared them to others. Just as they didnt feed vitamin E food purposefully. They just asked/asked them to track their vitamin E foods intake.

OP
Kingpinguin

Kingpinguin

Personally (and I know everyone will disagree), but I do think there are benefits to whole foods with PUFA in it like nuts and fish. There are thousands of compounds in these foods, some of which have yet to be discovered. We've evolved on these foods, so it doesn't make sense to me that they should no longer to be eaten because one of the compounds in it is PUFA. There are also PUFA protectors in these foods. Here is a debate about PUFA in whole foods: https://raypeatforum.com/community/conversations/pufas-better-than-saturated-fats.33847/

strange just get error from clicking the link

lampofred

Yeah I read a while ago that saturated fat and low-fat milk is associated with Parkinson's. It gave me pause for a bit but I realized that saturated fat and calcium raise GABA (by raising the temperature set point) and if your thyroid isn't good or if vit D is low, GABA lowers dopamine. PUFA on the other hand by lowering the temperature set point can lower GABA and raise dopamine. Dietary vit E tends to be associated with PUFA. But anytime you are lowering the temperature set point you are increasing excitotoxicity, so it's not a good thing.

OP
Kingpinguin

Kingpinguin

Yeah I read a while ago that saturated fat and low-fat milk is associated with Parkinson's. It gave me pause for a bit but I realized that saturated fat and calcium raise GABA (by raising the temperature set point) and if your thyroid isn't good or if vit D is low, GABA lowers dopamine. PUFA on the other hand by lowering the temperature set point can lower GABA and raise dopamine. Dietary vit E tends to be associated with PUFA. But anytime you are lowering the temperature set point you are increasing excitotoxicity, so it's not a good thing.

Saw that study with few other studies and was thinking the same. Dont think it was a very huge statistical significance but still. Was thinking of posting it on the forum. Not everything makes sense. But If saturated fat or even dairy was prone to cause parkinson then there would be a statistical rise in parkinson in france.

tankasnowgod

Is it a study flaw?

Oh yeah. It's based on the Nurses Health Study. You can't draw any conclusions from it. They follow lots of nurses, but only check in with them every 2-4 years.

History | Nurses' Health Study

"The original focus of the study was on contraceptive methods, smoking, cancer, and heart disease, but has expanded over time to include research on many other lifestyle factors, behaviors, personal characteristics, and more than 30 diseases.

Every two years, cohort members receive a follow-up questionnaire with questions about diseases and health-related topics, including smoking, hormone use, and menopausal status.

Because the investigators recognized that diet and nutrition likely played an important role in the development of chronic diseases, a food-frequency questionnaire for collecting dietary information was added in 1980 and continues to be mailed at four-year intervals. Also, a quality-of-life supplement was first included with the questionnaire in 1992 and is re-administered at regular intervals.

Numerous supplemental questionnaires have been sent to selected participants to provide additional data for specific research questions and to better describe and define reported diseases.

A response rate of at least 90% has been achieved in most follow-up cycles of questionnaires."

Mufasa

Maybe because vitamin E consumption correlates with whole wheat consumption and this protects against gut derived endotoxin neuroinflammation.

dreamcatcher

Intakes of vitamins E and C, carotenoids, vitamin supplements, and PD risk. - PubMed - NCBI

I’m curious as to why this study found that vitamin E from diet but not from supplements reduce risk of PD. This makes me believe that it was not the vitamin E in the diet that reduced the risk. And now I’m thinking foods with vitamin E content does contain high PUFA. Should not PUFA be destructive in brain aging and the destruction of neurons? Anyone got any answers or good theories as to why dietary vitamin E showed benefit. Is it a study flaw?
So this doctor is very sharp. Now 104. I assume he eats a lot of PUFAs.

dreamcatcher

I'm eating nuts and my temperature is a steady 37C° daily since started to take Methyl Folate and B12. It's the middle of winter and I'm in an unheated room most of the day. I come from a background of years of low temperature (35s)

It has to do with availability of needed unsaturated celluar membranes,their composition has direct impact on expression of viable receptors,and thus signalling,and just-in-time availability of substrate
if membrane damage is catastrophic.PUFA are needed for dopaminergic-neuron survival,
i had a study were consumption of different polyunsaturates was compared to monos and fully saturated.
(The standard parkinsonism-inducing agents like mptp are known membrane-damaging-agents,which confer a radical-type of damage which cant be quenched efficiently)
More consumption of some PUFA,some of them,had rather large rescue-action,maybe 30% of the statistic markers the conductors chose,they had biocide-exposed farmers as cohort.
Also,MS-disease incidence according to one forward-controlled study was reduced remarkably with increased intake of alpha-linoleic acid.Of note,not with marine PUFAs.