Dietary thiols accelerate aging of C. elegans (Glutathione, NAC)

andrewlee224

Interesting study that seems to confirm Ray's views that Glutathione/NAC may not be as beneficial as commonly presented.
That is, if conclusions from C. Elegans can be extrapolated to humans.

LadyRae

Interesting study that seems to confirm Ray's views that Glutathione/NAC may not be as beneficial as commonly presented.

"Avoid excessive antioxidants" interesting! Yes, sounds Ike Dr. Peat and recently, Georgi. He said that methylene blue and vitamin K do not have that same effect as other antioxidants

Apple

These results are consistent with our previous findings that a high sugar diet, while promoting GSH reduction and resistance to ROS, decreases C. elegans lifespan

CastorTroy

I don't understand the reasoning behind Peat's thoughts on supplemental reduced glutathione being bad because "it gets oxidized in the body". Isn't the endogenous glutathione produced in the liver reduced as well? I don't doubt excess of any antioxidant becomes detrimental, but using it as an add in moderate amounts to compensate their decline with aging, I don't see why that would be bad.

"Avoid excessive antioxidants" interesting! Yes, sounds Ike Dr. Peat and recently, Georgi. He said that methylene blue and vitamin K do not have that same effect as other antioxidants

Methylene blue is not an exeption. Above 4mg/kg it starts becoming more a pro-oxidant

LadyRae

I don't understand the reasoning behind Peat's thoughts on supplemental reduced glutathione being bad because "it gets oxidized in the body". Isn't the endogenous glutathione produced in the liver reduced as well? I don't doubt excess of any antioxidant becomes detrimental, but using it as an add in moderate amounts to compensate their decline with aging, I don't see why that would be bad.

Methylene blue is not an exeption. Above 4mg/kg it starts becoming more a pro-oxidant
dose matters with methylene blue, of course. Georgi has always said this...

cremes

This concept is becoming more of a concern for me. Is anyone (not just @CastorTroy) aware of a table or listing that shows anti-oxidants and the estimated point at which they can become pro-oxidant? This seems relevant for the vitamin C and E consumers around here like me.

chrstn4o

Forum Supporter

Something I would like to know is, how much cysteine does C. elegans' diet contain? Could it be that its natural diet of bacteria and such is proportionally lower in cysteine that a human's, and that may why NAC is exerting detrimental effects? Not asking you to give me the answer or anything, but I think it is decent food for thought. Perhaps NAC in such proportions would be detrimental to humans, but those proportions might be much larger than the 600-3200mg that is normally used.

Maybe I am just trying to "cope" with my chronic intake of NAC!!