Dietary Stearic Acid Reduces Visceral Fat By 70% And Increases Lean Mass

Philjay

Just to emphasise humans cannot metabolise stearic acid the way rodents can.
Octadecanoic acid does have minor health benefits in humans, but very limited, there are far better fatty acids .
Arachidonic acid
for example, considered to both help fat loss and build muscle , and a supplement I have found to be very effective.

Travis

giphy.gif

Broken man

Wait...... you're saying that a completely uncontrolled trial reported anecdotally failed to work?
No no, that I think I saw post here of somebody who wanted lose weight or something and he was using big amounts of coconut oil without success. I am not sure about this.

Philjay

No no, that I think I saw post here of somebody who wanted lose weight or something and he was using big amounts of coconut oil without success. I am not sure about this.

Mcts are touted as being great for fat loss, I never see anything other than increased energy.

Philjay

Study snippet "In the context of ArachidonicAcid, the final destination should be skeletal muscle. Luckily, there is an energetic state which favors fatty acid delievery to this tissue: Exercise(or acute starvation) [1]. In an exercise-induced environment, LPL on skeletal muscle becomes active which serves as an adjunct to glycolysis for the TCA cycle via beta-oxidation. Similarly, the enzyme DGAT also becomes active in skeletal muscle which functions to store excess fatty acids as triglycerides. Since both of these enzymes are heavily active during exercise, it is clear that an excess of fatty acids are being removed from blood plasma into skeletal muscle as a reservoir (this also serves to decrease insulin insensitivity)

Because fatty acids like arachidonic acid are emulsifed and taken up into enterocytes where they are esterfied on a glycerol backbone to form a triglyceride. Next, the triglycerides and cholesterol esters are bound together to form a chylomicron, they are then able to be utilised by the body depending on our energy homeostatis... When training or when in a starved phase, uptake will be by skeletal muscle and not by fat cells.. so the potential for Anabolism is greatly improved.

Personally I saw results when I won my european title I found this to be more important than my creatine supplementation.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
This research concerns stearic acid beneficial effects for a Parkinson’s disease model in fruit flies. But the findings of improved mitochondrial function with lower free fatty acids sound like a familiar theme.

Stearic acid supplementation in high protein to carbohydrate (P:C) ratio diet improves physiological and mitochondrial functions of Drosophila mela... - PubMed - NCBI

“Here we incorporate stearic acid into high protein and high carbohydrate diets and study survival, climbing ability, mitochondrial membrane potential, respiration, basal reactive oxygen species and conduct lipidomics assays. We observed parkin null flies showed improvement in all assays tested when stearic acid was added to high protein but not to the high carbohydrate diet. When lipid proportion was examined we observed higher levels in flies fed the high protein diet with stearic acid and the high carbohydrate diet. Unexpectedly, free levels of fatty acids exhibited opposite trend. Combined, these data suggest that dietary Protein: Carbohydrate ratio and stearic acid influences levels of bound fatty acids. The mechanisms that influence free and bound fatty-acid levels remain to be explored, but one possible explanation is that breakdown products can bind to membranes and improve the mitochondrial functions of parkin null flies.”

Thanks. Some other studies I saw on stearic acid said it is highly resistant to esterification/adipogenesis and beta oxidation. So, it just keeps floating around more than any other FFA and this is probably another reason it has these benefits. Other FFA quickly get oxidized (MCT and short-chain) or stored (LCFA, except stearate), so stearate has an disproportional effect compared to the other fats when it is eaten in the diet.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
it is clear that an excess of fatty acids are being removed from blood plasma into skeletal muscle as a reservoir (this also serves to decrease insulin insensitivity)

I simply do not see how this will decrease rather than increase insulin insensitivity. In other words, FFA uptake by the muscle surely makes then insulin resistant, as confirmed by so many human studies. It would be interesting if you can do a blood test for muscle and liver insulin resistance while training or actively competing.
Biomarkers Of Muscle And Liver Insulin Resistance

Btw, what sport did you win a European title in?

Philjay

That would be a good idea. Would be an interesting study.

I do not wish to state that , but I honestly felt it made a difference to my physique and performance.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
That would be a good idea. Would be an interesting study.

I do not wish to state that , but I honestly felt it made a difference to my physique and performance.

What sport are you in?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
OP
haidut

haidut