Dietary (organic) Iron Does Not Increase Tissue Iron

“A high TIBC, UIBC, or transferrin usually indicates iron deficiency”

this is from my Trt days. I was eating 12-16oz of grass fed beef daily, with a lot of added fat, very low PUFA. I did eat calcium rich foods, and enough vitamin C.

Noteworthy:

Prolactin 10.5
Insulin 3.4
Glucose 90
HBA1c 6.0%
Test and E2 upper quartile

I kind of overlooked this panel back in those days because it didn’t seem to make sense. However since then I’ve gotten increased signs of iron deficiency.

more beef here, thanks.

Kingpinguin

this is from my Trt days. I was eating 12-16oz of grass fed beef daily, with a lot of added fat, very low PUFA. I did eat calcium rich foods, and enough vitamin C.

Noteworthy:

Prolactin 10.5
Insulin 3.4
Glucose 90
HBA1c 6.0%

I kind of overlooked this panel back in those days because it didn’t seem to make sense. However since then I’ve gotten increased signs of iron deficiency.

more beef here, thanks.

Ye iron regulation can be very tricky. I have lost iron between tests even though eating lots of liver, mussels, meat, orange juice etc. I’ve also gained iron. I’ve taken iron supplements and still lost iron. Ive taken iron supplements and become too high in iron aswell and within 3 months I lost half that iron according to blood tests. Regulation of iron and dysregulation is a mystery. So many variables affect your iron homeostasis. I’ve probably done 20 iron panels just the last 3 years.

OP
M
I for one never drank much coffee, only when offered to me.

Lots of dairy tho. I’ve dropped calcium to what’s considered enough, 400ish mg/day. Calcium inhibits iron.

Vitamin C enhances iron absorption. So low carb it is, eating fruit only if high in vitamin C. Glucose competes with C and I’ve had HBA1c around 5.9% on average, despite low fasted glucose and insulin. Carbs/starches are out forever.

Had you tried the vitamin C / low carb and calcium / no caffeine approach? @Kingpinguin

OP
M
Ye iron regulation can be very tricky. I have lost iron between tests even though eating lots of liver, mussels, meat, orange juice etc. I’ve also gained iron. I’ve taken iron supplements and still lost iron. Ive taken iron supplements and become too high in iron aswell and within 3 months I lost half that iron according to blood tests. Regulation of iron and dysregulation is a mystery. So many variables affect your iron homeostasis. I’ve probably done 20 iron panels just the last 3 years.

Also note that iron supplementation basically requires zinc. Otherwise you can get oxidation issues.

Concurrent repletion of iron and zinc reduces intestinal oxidative damage in iron- and zinc-deficient rats

Concurrent administration of iron and zinc corrects iron and zinc deficiency, and also reduces the intestinal oxidative damage associated with iron supplementation.

More beef...

Kingpinguin

I for one never drank much coffee, only when offered to me.

Lots of dairy tho. I’ve dropped calcium to what’s considered enough, 400ish mg/day. Calcium inhibits iron.

Vitamin C enhances iron absorption. So low carb it is, eating fruit only if high in vitamin C. Glucose competes with C and I’ve had HBA1c around 5.9% on average, despite low fasted glucose and insulin. Carbs/starches are out forever.

Had you tried the vitamin C / low carb and calcium / no caffeine approach? @Kingpinguin

yeah doesnt make much difference. Vitamin C makes me worse actually. I drink OJ and take camu camu powder sometimes coz vitamin C from food does not have that same bad effect on me. But if I go overboard with it I get problems.

OP
M
I’ve noticed high carb just doesn’t work. Cue my prediabetic A1c despite optimal fasted glucose and insulin.

Idk how much vitamin C is in commercial OJ - unless you’re squeezing your oranges.

ever gone low carb?

Aries

What iron marker or markers dropped to half in 3 months? Was it serum iron?

PaRa

I’ve noticed high carb just doesn’t work. Cue my prediabetic A1c despite optimal fasted glucose and insulin.

Idk how much vitamin C is in commercial OJ - unless you’re squeezing your oranges.

ever gone low carb?

So you’re gonna more be meat/animal based than fruit based ?

OP
M
So you’re gonna more be meat/animal based than fruit based ?

both

Transferrin saturation
As body iron stores become depleted, the concentration of the iron transport protein, transferrin, in the plasma increases, leading to a rise in the total iron-binding capacity (TIBC). Once iron stores are exhausted and the tissue demands exceed the rate of supply, the serum iron (SI) concentration falls. Since an impaired iron supply in an iron-deficient individual is characterized by a rise in TIBC and a fall in SI, a reduction in the transferrin saturation (TS = SI × 100⧸TIBC) from the normal value of approximately 35% to less than 15% is the best single criterion of a suboptimal supply.

PaRa

but how to manage foods combination with a balanced diet type (you’re gonna moderate F/C-moderate/low P)
Plus what about fats and fructose ?
Im not saying sugar is bad
Carnivores like Saladino think that gout is not caused by protein but by fructose and alcool that create an ample amount of uric acid

I think you’re on the right way but I don’t know how to manage this foods association

basically fatty beef, gelatin and organs, yolks, seafoods, sugar fruit and coconut right ?
Consuming beef and yolks apart and combining coconut with fruit (doesn’t interfere with sugar oxydation) and seafood ?

CLASH

-eat fruit, drink 100% fruit juice, eat carrots
-wait 15 minutes
-Eat meat and fat

Been doing this for years with no issues.
When I drink juice/ eat fruit and carrots too close to meat I feel heavy.

Broken man

-eat fruit, drink 100% fruit juice, eat carrots
-wait 15 minutes
-Eat meat and fat

Been doing this for years with no issues.
When I drink juice/ eat fruit and carrots too close to meat I feel heavy.
That could be because most fruit is alot of water reducing stomach acid.

OP
M

my main beef (Aha) with ferritin is that it’s hugely impacted by chronic inflammation and liver disease. Ferritin going down could be great. As long as it’s not below 40-50 or whatever is the cutoff.

i think that UIBC is as specific and more sensitive than the others. It’s described somewhere on pubmed or sciencedirect

tankasnowgod

Noteworthy:

Prolactin 10.5
Insulin 3.4
Glucose 90
HBA1c 6.0%

more beef here, thanks.

Are you a pre-menopausal female? That's usually a huge factor.

tankasnowgod

my main beef (Aha) with ferritin is that it’s hugely impacted by chronic inflammation and liver disease. Ferritin going down could be great. As long as it’s not below 40-50 or whatever is the cutoff.

i think that UIBC is as specific and more sensitive than the others. It’s described somewhere on pubmed or sciencedirect

I go with Ferritin, as that's what E.D. Weinberg suggested was the best overall indicator, although other numbers are useful, too. Don't really know how much ferritin is impacted by inflammation or diseases like a cold. Most I've seen suggested is about 10% inflation from normal. I also suspect (from research and personal experience) that high iron and ferritin plays a somewhat causal role in chronic inflammation.

UIBC is based on TIBC and Serum Iron, just like TSAT is. It's simply another calculation.

OP
M
Ferritin is meaningful is abnormally low, but not sensitive enough if normal. Kinda like TSH that means nothing if normal. But always negative if high.

that’s why I’ve done iron full panel: 1) iron deficiency is the most common nutrient deficiency which is understandable considering all of the anti red meat propaganda 2) symptoms of low iron have been around for a while

I’m a 31yo male by the way. No clue why I’ve got a female avatar ha, probably didn’t pay attention

Kingpinguin

Ferritin is meaningful is abnormally low, but not sensitive enough if normal. Kinda like TSH that means nothing if normal. But always negative if high.

that’s why I’ve done iron full panel: 1) iron deficiency is the most common nutrient deficiency which is understandable considering all of the anti red meat propaganda 2) symptoms of low iron have been around for a while

I’m a 31yo male by the way. No clue why I’ve got a female avatar ha, probably didn’t pay attention

my stream its always been the most common nutrient deficiency.

Back
Top Bottom