Dietary-induced Alterations in Thyroid Hormone Metabolism

Isadora

I loved this article, found via Anthony Colpo's blog ( :hattip ) -- lots of other cool stuff there, from a very convincing former low carber who learned from past mistakes:

Dietary-induced Alterations in Thyroid Hormone Metabolism during Overnutrition
ELLIOT DANFORTH, JR., EDWARD S. HORTON, MAUREEN O'CONNELL, and ETHAN A. H. SIMS, Metabolic Unit, Department of Medicine, University of Vermont, Burlington, Vermont 05405
ALBERT G. BURGER, Thyroid Research Unit, Division of Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, University of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
SIDNEY H. INGBAR, Beth Israel Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115
LEWIS BRAVERMAN and APoSTOLOs G. VAGENAKIS, Endocrinology Divisions, Departments ofMedicine, University ofMassachusetts, Worcester, Massachusetts 01605

So, overfeeding will work to increase T3, but so will a weight-maintaining high-carbohydrate diet! That's all I needed to know.

This is amazing! A study from 1979, and yet, its conclusions are far from being common knowledge! All doctors should have been able to say, by now, to all the idiots who went low-carb -- "Hey, according to this paper, you risk running into problems with your thyroid... Even if your labs might indicate euthyroidism, dummy!"

Actually, low carbing should have never existed, let alone be the newest fad on the net, with medical doctors promoting it (I'm looking at you, Catherine Shanahan!)

"An increase in T3 occurred before weight was gained when a weightmaintaining low carbohydrate diet was replaced by an equal-caloric high-carbohydrate diet."

So, Peat or no Peat, more carbs will get you out of the hibernation hole and might fix your hypothyroidism... No need to pack on the pounds. For many, probably no need for thyroid supplementation or other hormonal aids, either!

But, if you absolutely insist, overfeeding (not necessarily Peat style, just no low carbing) will fix you, too! If you overfeed on a mixed diet, it will take more carbs for you to stay at your new level of fatness, so you will have kicked your thyroid into gear and have increased your metabolism -- which means you will likely lose that weight once you start eating your normal amount of calories, again. Just don't overfeed on fats!

That is, if I understood correctly this part -- I may not have, I was all blissful that I found some support for my initial intuitions!

key

Re: Dietary-induced Alterations in Thyroid Hormone Metabolis

You gotta eat enough protein as well.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals