Dietary Glycine Supplementation Mimics Lifespan Extension By Dietary Methionine Restriction

Vinero

I avoid that since seeing the high concentrations of heavy metals on the certificate of analysis of the "pure" amino acid powders I see... Consumed in the amounts you suggest, that would be an extreme intake of lead for example.
That is very disturbing.. I have taken a lot of amino acid powders over the years. Do you think most BCAAs are safe? I am currently taking a lot of those

Kartoffel

I don't know about other amino acid supplements, but glycine is such a simple substance that I doubt it's likely to contain a significant amount of heavy metals. The certificate for my product states it contains < 3ppm of lead.

Kunder

I avoid that since seeing the high concentrations of heavy metals on the certificate of analysis of the "pure" amino acid powders I see... Consumed in the amounts you suggest, that would be an extreme intake of lead for example.

Show me such certificate

jyb

I don't know about other amino acid supplements, but glycine is such a simple substance that I doubt it's likely to contain a significant amount of heavy metals. The certificate for my product states it contains < 3ppm of lead.

3ppm is crazy high: if you take just 10g of powder, you'll get 300 mcg of lead. That's 3 times the average intake of lead. And that's just for lead.

FYI Great Lakes gelatin is 1.5ppm lead.

3ppm is crazy high: if you take just 10g of powder, you'll get 300 mcg of lead. That's 3 times the average intake of lead. And that's just for lead.

FYI Great Lakes gelatin is 1.5ppm lead.
30mcg

Kartoffel

As such-saturation said it's 30mcg for 10g. I think I take about 6-7g per day. The average lead intake in Western countries is about 100mcg per day. I weigh the benefits of glycine against the potential side effects, and think that it's still worth it. I think I get less lead from my diet of mostly homemade cheese, OJ, eggs, and potatos than the rest of the population, and I drink a lot of coffee (which lowers the accumulation of lead and promotes its' excretion). Of course it would be nice to find a product with lower lead levels, but I still get a much higher glycine/lead ratio than with Great Lakes for example (I don't tolerate gelatine anyways)..

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Another study showing the life-extending effect of glycine. The authors of this study explain this effect with glycine's ability to excrete excess methione. Ray has talked about the life-extending effect of restricting methionine, and it seems that just adding enough glycine to the diet has the same effect.

FASEB Journal, Volume 25, Issue 1, 2011.
Dietary glycine supplementation mimics lifespan extension by dietary methionine restriction in Fisher 344 rats
Joel Brind, Virginia Malloy, Ines Augie, Nicholas Caliendo, Joseph H Vogelman, Jay A. Zimmerman, and Norman Orentreich

Dietary methionine (Met) restriction (MR) extends lifespan in rodents by 30–40% and inhibits growth. Since glycine is the vehicle for hepatic clearance of excess Met via glycine N-methyltransferase (GNMT), we hypothesized that dietary glycine supplementation (GS) might produce biochemical and endocrine changes similar to MR and also extend lifespan. Seven-week-old male Fisher 344 rats were fed diets containing 0.43% Met/2.3% glycine (control fed; CF) or 0.43% Met/4%, 8% or 12% glycine until natural death. In 8% or 12% GS rats, median lifespan increased from 88 weeks (w) to 113 w, and maximum lifespan increased from 91 w to 119 w v CF. Body growth reduction was less dramatic, and not even significant in the 8% GS group. Dose-dependent reductions in several serum markers were also observed. Long-term (50 w) 12% GS resulted in reductions in mean (±SD) fasting glucose (158 ± 13 v 179 ± 46 mg/dL), insulin (0.7 ± 0.4 v 0.8 ± 0.3 ng/mL), IGF-1 (1082 ± 128 v 1407 ± 142 ng/mL) and triglyceride (113 ± 31 v 221 ± 56 mg/dL) levels compared to CF. Adiponectin, which increases with MR, did not change in GS after 12 w on diet. We propose that more efficient Met clearance via GNMT with GS could be reducing chronic Met toxicity due to rogue methylations from chronic excess methylation capacity or oxidative stress from generation of toxic by-products such as formaldehyde. This project received no outside funding.

Thanks. I already posted this a few years ago. Maybe the mods can merge the threads (@charlie, @Blossom)?
Dietary glycine supplementation mimics lifespan extension by dietary methionine restriction

Kartoffel

Sorry haidut, I did a quick forum search but didn't find anything, otherwise i would have revived your thread. Merging sounds like a good idea.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Sorry haidut, I did a quick forum search but didn't find anything, otherwise i would have revived your thread. Merging sounds like a good idea.

No need to apologize, there are millions of studies and as such duplicate posts are unavoidable.

jyb

As such-saturation said it's 30mcg for 10g. I think I take about 6-7g per day. The average lead intake in Western countries is about 100mcg per day. I weigh the benefits of glycine against the potential side effects, and think that it's still worth it. I think I get less lead from my diet of mostly homemade cheese, OJ, eggs, and potatos than the rest of the population, and I drink a lot of coffee (which lowers the accumulation of lead and promotes its' excretion). Of course it would be nice to find a product with lower lead levels, but I still get a much higher glycine/lead ratio than with Great Lakes for example (I don't tolerate gelatine anyways)..

Sure, that's also how I use it. I was reaction to suggestions of using 100g per day - that situation requires thought because it's a significant heavy metal intake.

BibleBeliever

Fortunately glycine is also anti-lead:

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/jt/2011/430539/

"In conclusion, treatment with glycine significantly decreased lead levels in bone and mitigated all of the effects of lead on parameters indicative of oxidative stress in hepatic and renal samples. These findings show that glycine has an important antioxidant activity and accelerates the elimination of lead when it is administered at a high dose. Treatment of rats with smaller and higher doses of glycine provided similar protection against lead-induced cellular liver damage and reversed completely the damage to classic liver architecture."

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

"In conclusion, treatment with glycine significantly decreased lead levels in bone and mitigated all of the effects of lead on parameters indicative of oxidative stress in hepatic and renal samples. These findings show that glycine has an important antioxidant activity and accelerates the elimination of lead when it is administered at a high dose. Treatment of rats with smaller and higher doses of glycine provided similar protection against lead-induced cellular liver damage and reversed completely the damage to classic liver architecture."

Great find, thanks. Did the study say how glycine reduces lead accumulation/stores? Does it chelate it out or just stimulates excretion?

Kunder

This leads me to believe that glycine from a leading supplier should not lead to lead overload as some have led us to believe.

Kartoffel

I asked Ray whether he would be concerned about the lead in the glycine product I mentioned.

"That’s not much, but there are likely to be things besides lead, so I think it would be better to just use it when it feels like it’s needed."

aguilaroja

Great find, thanks. Did the study say how glycine reduces lead accumulation/stores? Does it chelate it out or just stimulates excretion?

There are also findings that glycine is protective against mercury and iron toxicity. The studies mention glycine relieving oxidative stress, but taken together, it is difficult so far to see a comprehensive scheme for glycine’s protective actions. These are tissue, rather than organism, studies.

Modulation of mercury-induced mitochondria-dependent apoptosis by glycine in hepatocytes. - PubMed - NCBI
“Glycine treatment suppressed these apoptotic events, signifying its protective role in Hg-induced hepatocyte apoptosis as referred by reduction of p38, JNK and ERK MAPK signaling pathways. Results suggest that glycine can modulate Hg-induced oxidative stress and apoptosis in hepatocytes probably because of its antioxidant activity and functioning via mitochondria-dependent pathways….”

Iron induces hepatocytes death via MAPK activation and mitochondria-dependent apoptotic pathway: beneficial role of glycine. - PubMed - NCBI
“…iron (FeSO₄) intoxication caused NF-κB activation as well as the phosphorylation of p38 and ERK MAPKs. Iron (FeSO₄) administration also disrupted Bcl-2/Bad protein balance, reduced mitochondrial membrane potential, released cytochrome c and induced the activation of caspases and cleavage of PARP protein….Glycine (10 mM) supplementation… reduced all the iron (FeSO₄) induced apoptotic indices.

Glycine stimulates protein synthesis and inhibits oxidative stress in pig small intestinal epithelial cells. - PubMed - NCBI
“...glycine inhibited (P < 0.05) activation of caspase 3 by 25% and attenuated… apoptosis by 38% in intestinal porcine epithelial cell line 1 cells through promotion of reduced glutathione synthesis and expression of glycine transporter 1 while reducing the activation of extracellular signal-regulated kinases, c-Jun amino-terminal kinases, and p38 protein in the mitogen-activated protein kinase signaling pathway.”

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom