Dietary changes from 1909-1974

gaze

Not sure if this has been posted before, but I found this paper discussing changes in diet in America from 1909-1974 and how it may relate to cancer increase. I found it pretty interesting.

Here are the dietary averages of 1909 and 1974 (Im not sure the age bracket or gender, it may be an average of all). they also list every single year in between in the paper:

1909: Calories per day was 3500
487 grams Carbs, 104 grams from protein (54 from animal, 50 from plants), and 127 grams of fat
Fat intake was 50 grams of saturated, 51.5 oleic, 10.7 linoliec acid.
6 grams of fiber per day
Vitamin A intake was 7800 IU per day
800 mg of calcium, 1600 mg phosphorus, so 1:2 ratio

1974: Calories per day was 3300
388 grams of carbs, 101 grams protein (70 from animal, 31 from plants), and 158 grams from fat.
Fat intake was 56 grams of saturated, 62.9 oleic, and 24.2 linoleic acid
4 grams of fiber per day
Vitamin A intake was 8000 IU per day
950 mg of calcium, 1540 mg phoshorus, so a little under 1:2

The paper also said:

"The declining intake of carbohydrate was also accompanied by a shift in the nature of the carbohydrate (Chart3). Starch has dropped off at a much more rapid rate than the total carbohydrate during these 6 decades The rather marked rise in sugars and in refined sugar that occurred during the 1920's has (after a decline during World War 2) been maintained in the years subsequent to this."

"Similarly, we find that the increased amount of fat in our food balance sheets has been accompanied by a shift in the type of fat consumed (Table 2). There has been only a small change in saturated fatty acids in the food supply during the past several decades. A rather modest increase in polyunsaturated fatty acids (linoleic acid) is seen prior to 1940, and a noticeable increase in the polyunsaturated fatty acids during the last 20 years relates to the increase in our consumption of edible oils, margarine, and shortening."

"During the past 25 years there has been a declining use of eggs ,lard, butter, and various dairy products but an increased intake of various meat and poultry products"

This paper came out in 1974, right around the time of the new low fat diet pyramid with grains on the bottom of the calendar. i think ray has mentioned that in the past 40 years, grain and vegetable oil intake has gone up, while sugar and meats has gone down. I still think it's interesting how from 1900-1974, sugar, vegetable oil, and meat was rising, while starch, dairy, eggs, were dropping. Keep in mind the guy gathering this research worked for the USDA, which Ray claims was basically bought and payed for by the grain industry. that is probably relevant, although it seems pretty impartial to me.

Last edited:

Luann

LA intake doubles. Would love to see data from 1990, when Mcd's switched away from beef tallow :dead:

OP
G

gaze

LA intake doubles. Would love to see data from 1990, when Mcd's switched away from beef tallow :dead:
whats crazy is in 1974 the population wasn't even that overweight. However, there were high amounts of heart disease, because the cholestrol/heart disease/saturated fat push started in the 40s and 50s. it really picked up after the 70s. American health really fell off the cliff starting in the 80s.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals