Dietary Boron And Its Impact On Testicular Function, Thyroid, Calcium In Rams (2019)

High_Prob

Dietary boron supplementation and its impact on testicular function, thyroid activity and serum calcium in rams

OpenAthens / Sign in

Highlights

Adding boron in rams ration improved testicular functions markedly via increasing serum testosterone hormone levels.

Boron succeeded with high degree in improving semen quality.

Boron could be considered a potent activator to the thyroid gland and enhance the secretion of T3 hormone.

Boron didn’t induce any negative effects on the serum calcium level in rams and body weight gain.

Abstract
The current study aimed to investigate the effects of dietary boron (B) supplementation on testicular function, thyroid activity and serum calcium (Ca) in rams. Therefore, twelve rams (4 months old and 17.6 ± 1.26 kg average body weight) were divided equally into two groups. Rams of control group (CNT group) were fed basal ration ad libitum. In the second group (B group), the rams were fed basal ration plus 400 mg boric acid (BA)/kg diet. All rams were fed their corresponding rations for 4 months. Serum samples were collected and analyzed at different intervals including 0 day, eighth, twelfth and sixteen weeks of experiment whereas semen specimens were collected at the twelfth and sixteenth weeks. Boron increased serum levels of testosterone (T) significantly (P < 0.05) when compared with CNT group. Serum levels of triiodotyrosine (T3) were elevated significantly (P<0.05) with advancement of age in both groups. The percentage of increase of T3 level at end of the experiment was observed to be higher in B-treated rams than CNT ones. Besides, B induced significant improvement of semen quality (Higher sperm concentration, higher seminal volume and lower secondary sperm abnormalities) when compared with CNT group (P<0.05). Furthermore, there were no significant differences between B and CNT rams in body weight gain and serum level of Ca. Thus, B is considered potential and useful supplement in ration of rams to improve their testicular and thyroid activities.

GenericName86

I'm tempted to give boron a try but read it lowers shbg, after looking into it and reading some posts on here high shbg is desirable? apart from that the more I'm reading about boron the more appealing it looks to try.

shine

That's a great find! I ordered Boron 3mg capsules yesterday and will start supplementing tomorrow. Cucumber has high levels of boron (2-3mg/100g) and I always get a libido boost if I eat a lot of that penis shaped vegetable.

That's a great find! I ordered Boron 3mg capsules yesterday and will start supplementing tomorrow. Cucumber has high levels of boron (2-3mg/100g) and I always get a libido boost if I eat a lot of that penis shaped vegetable.

Does boron content not depend on where the plant is grown? Regardless, I've read through several lists of boron-containing foods over the years and have not yet come across one which listed cucumber. If the boron content of cucumbers was that high, cucumber would appear third in descending ordered lists after raisins and hazelnuts.

nwo2012

It also fixed my right knee which was painful for 3 years, and reduced my lower back pain substantially. @Travis was convinced the boron kills mould that has accumulated at the joints. I was in severe discomfort for 1-2 weeks then felt the best I had, joint-wise, in years. Was taking around 2g of food grade borax daily for the 2 weeks, now use about 5mg twice weekly.
No it is not toxic, as claimed in the mainstream, and it also detoxes fluoride from your bones.

Ella

Forum Supporter
Anyone taking the calcium fructoborate form. I initially tried borax but stopped due to learning about some issue but can't for the life of me remember why I decided against it. I opted for calcium fructoborate which is widely present in fruits and vegetables. I was pleasantly surprised coming out of winter with healthy levels of D vitamin. I have always been low. I am hoping to see increase in my testosterone levels so I can regrow lean muscles which have been decimated after losing weight and being sick.

Calcium Fructoborate for Bone and Cardiovascular Health

Broken man

How is boron doing its job?

shine

How is boron doing its job?

It feels like Tongkat Ali but without the NO effects. So basically SHBG lowering, which the studies about boron also indicate. Feels like more active hormones are available after taking it, it works quite rapidly; mood boost, more energy, higher libido.

maillol

I was just reading old threads about boron this weekend so I ate a good portion of raisins (4mg/100g). Also realised raisins are a very dense source of carbs (75g/100g). Anyway I did get a good libido boost. Need to repeat to confirm. There seem to be studies showing mixed results regarding whether it is oestrogenic or not.

japanesedude

if the benefit of taking boron comes from lowering SHBG,I think nettle root would be a safer option.

Pufa-Puffin

if the benefit of taking boron comes from lowering SHBG,I think nettle root would be a safer option.
The benefits of taking boron are mediated by multiple pathways, lowering SHBG being one of many. The most important thing about boron is that it can increase calcium, magnesium and sodium absorbtion and retention, and I would even say that lowered SHBG is result of that, but it obviously have much more health benefits. Nettle root cannot do that.

golder

Is it safe to take Boron daily, or would you recommend say 3mg a few times a week? Any idea of an optimal time to take it, or what to avoid when taking it? Thanks very much guys, informative thread!

Inaut

boron is one of the few minerals I take on a consistent basis. that and magnesium. I like it a lot

golder

boron is one of the few minerals I take on a consistent basis. that and magnesium. I like it a lot
Interesting, what dose do you use each day? Do you take it in the morning and night and have you seen any negatives from daily use? Appreciate your expertise.

Inaut

i take (borax) it in the morning in some orange juice. 1/8 of a teaspoon. I have not seen any negatives as of yet and have been taking it consistently for about 6 months (5 days On 2 days off). My sex drive is extremely high though but I'd say its healthy mainly I have no urges to masturbate anymore and don't view women as sex objects which I experienced when I was high estrogen and extremely unhealthy. That could also be due to vitamin e and tribulus/ginger (all contributing factors)... I think it's effects on D, magnesium and calcium are very important as pointed out by @Pufa-Puffin and others.

Magdalena

Hi, I also take borax (a good pinch of it) every morning in my coffee. I have been doing it for the last 2 years now. It helps for my knee pain and slows tooth decay.