Diet Of Japanese Longevity Expert Who Lived To 105

Hermes

From the age of 65, Hinohara worked 18-hour days, seven days a week as a volunteer and "love[d] every minute of it," he told The Japan Times in 2009. In fact, he volunteered until the last few months before his death on July 18, 2017, according to The New York Times.​

That's probably an important aspect too. There is research showing the importance of meaningful work. But I guess that's only possible if one is in good health already.

Runenight201

I agree with his sentiment of never needing to retire. I’ve always thought that the idea of not wanting to work is a symptom of poor health. There is pleasure in finding meaningful work, and such pleasures vitalize and give the body health!

Herbie

Ive tried to work 18 hours a day 7 days a week can only manage 14/7 because I need to sleep 8-9 hours to recover and time to cook food.

Maybe realising that retiring from being a doctor would lower him substantially in the social structure was enough to motivate him and keep him going.

ExCarniv

Very Peaty, that he drinks quite a bit of milk is interesting because afaik Japanese generally don't consume dairy at all.

"For breakfast he drank coffee, a glass of milk and some orange juice with a tablespoon of olive oil in it. "Olive oil is great for the arteries and keeps my skin healthy," he told The Japan Times."

Despite the olive oil, that's a pretty Peaty breakfast lol.

I replace olive oil with salt and some low fat cheese.

boris

Peat says 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil is really safe :) as long as it's real olive oil. I has protective compounds too.

Inaut

Sounds like a “liver flush” of sorts with OJ and OO

cellboy

how do people generally live on such small amounts of food. even a dog would eat more

boris

@cellboy haha :hilarious:

..at least he ate good foods. I wonder how much longer he would have lived if he didn't practice food restriction.

he ate a "bit of fish" and rice at dinner, or 100g of lean meat "twice a week."

What strikes me about ALL these guys and gals who live a long time is this profound fact:

They NEVER eat a variety. They are ALWAYS set in a routine with relatively few foods they enjoy regularly. They do not have a large and varied diet. That is my takeaway.

ExCarniv

What strikes me about ALL these guys and gals who live a long time is this profound fact:

They NEVER eat a variety. They are ALWAYS set in a routine with relatively few foods they enjoy regularly. They do not have a large and varied diet. That is my takeaway.

I'm feeling my best eating the same foods everyday

Beef, potatoes, milk, cheese, coffee, orange juice, rice, eggs, white fish/shellfish and liver once a week.

Tenacity

Has probably been the norm until recently. Without transportation you're limited to what is seasonal and local, which probably isn't a lot of variety.

cellboy

@cellboy haha :hilarious:

..at least he ate good foods. I wonder how much longer he would have lived if he didn't practice food restriction.
Yeah haha. But almost everyone around me eats almost nothing. Like two breads with nutella and some mcshit from mcdonalds and they‘re good.

tankasnowgod

People that live this long are mostly genetics.

Literally zero proof of this statement. And it makes no sense whatsoever. People who live the longest are most likely the best at maintaining themselves. Even the best designed car in the world won't last if you crash it into a wall the first day, or never change the oil. While I think the human body is far more complex than a car, you can easily destroy a human body with poor maintenance as well.

Literally zero proof of this statement. And it makes no sense whatsoever. People who live the longest are most likely the best at maintaining themselves. Even the best designed car in the world won't last if you crash it into a wall the first day, or never change the oil. While I think the human body is far more complex than a car, you can easily destroy a human body with poor maintenance as well.
Exactly.

I have been listening as always to Dr. Peat's interviews. He is of the strong belief that genetics is not that important compared to how the organism adapts to its environment. Adaptation to the environment is what he calls low stress. High stress is being poorly adapted, whether physically or mentally.

The really old people all to me have obviously adapted to their environment and it is predictable and they are happy with it. They tend to have lived the same way and often in the same place for many decades, eating the same foods.

That doesn't mean that if you do all that you'll live to 105 or 110, but I think the converse is not true: if you are poorly adapted to your environment, if you live with constant stress, I doubt you can live that long.

There are what are called epigenetic changes (although I notice Dr. Peat doesn't like that word too much) that are far more important than genetics, and these determine the lifespan I think far more than "genetics".

Julles

Look at that hair^!!!!!!!! if he trimmed the sides he would look badass!

B

Braveheart

"The really old people all to me have obviously adapted to their environment and it is predictable and they are happy with it. They tend to have lived the same way and often in the same place for many decades, eating the same foods."

:darts:

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals