Diet Of Japanese Longevity Expert Who Lived To 105

Discussion in 'Health' started by shepherdgirl, Oct 3, 2019.

1. shepherdgirl

shepherdgirl Member

2. Collden

Collden Member

3. Hermes

Hermes Member

From the age of 65, Hinohara worked 18-hour days, seven days a week as a volunteer and "love[d] every minute of it," he told The Japan Times in 2009. In fact, he volunteered until the last few months before his death on July 18, 2017, according to The New York Times.​

That's probably an important aspect too. There is research showing the importance of meaningful work. But I guess that's only possible if one is in good health already.

4. Runenight201

Runenight201 Member

I agree with his sentiment of never needing to retire. I’ve always thought that the idea of not wanting to work is a symptom of poor health. There is pleasure in finding meaningful work, and such pleasures vitalize and give the body health!

5. Herbie

Herbie Member

Ive tried to work 18 hours a day 7 days a week can only manage 14/7 because I need to sleep 8-9 hours to recover and time to cook food.

Maybe realising that retiring from being a doctor would lower him substantially in the social structure was enough to motivate him and keep him going.

6. ExCarniv

ExCarniv Member

"For breakfast he drank coffee, a glass of milk and some orange juice with a tablespoon of olive oil in it. "Olive oil is great for the arteries and keeps my skin healthy," he told The Japan Times."

Despite the olive oil, that's a pretty Peaty breakfast lol.

I replace olive oil with salt and some low fat cheese.

7. boris

boris Member

Peat says 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil is really safe :) as long as it's real olive oil. I has protective compounds too.

8. Inaut

Inaut Member

Sounds like a “liver flush” of sorts with OJ and OO

9. cellboy

cellboy Member

how do people generally live on such small amounts of food. even a dog would eat more

10. boris

boris Member

@cellboy haha :hilarious:

..at least he ate good foods. I wonder how much longer he would have lived if he didn't practice food restriction.

11. ecstatichamster

ecstatichamster Member

he ate a "bit of fish" and rice at dinner, or 100g of lean meat "twice a week."

What strikes me about ALL these guys and gals who live a long time is this profound fact:

They NEVER eat a variety. They are ALWAYS set in a routine with relatively few foods they enjoy regularly. They do not have a large and varied diet. That is my takeaway.

12. ExCarniv

ExCarniv Member

I'm feeling my best eating the same foods everyday

Beef, potatoes, milk, cheese, coffee, orange juice, rice, eggs, white fish/shellfish and liver once a week.

13. Tenacity

Tenacity Member

Has probably been the norm until recently. Without transportation you're limited to what is seasonal and local, which probably isn't a lot of variety.

14. cellboy

cellboy Member

Yeah haha. But almost everyone around me eats almost nothing. Like two breads with nutella and some mcshit from mcdonalds and they‘re good.