Diet For Hair Growth

Runenight201

the effect of any diet on the hair can only be seen two months after starting a particular diet

I can notice a difference in hair quality within a matter of 10-15 minutes of consuming good or bad food. Same with teeth, skin, etc...

Hair growth might take 2 months to see, but in terms of health of tissues, that happens immediately in my experience.

dreamcatcher

In my experience going below 15% dietary fat tends to become dangerous for hair health. Below 10% leaves the scalp very dry and squamous.

Usually throwing in a few eggs every day and some liver twice a week (cod, beef, whichever) helps right away.

Starch shouldn’t be a problem if fat is kept low enough, say 15/25% of the total caloric intake.

Ultimately I think this all boils down to insulin resistance and a healthy metabolism and the first steps are getting a ton of micro nutrients in and eating according to Randle like @olive says. Generally speaking over eating is what’s causing insulin resistance so, don’t force feed anything.
The hair loss is correlated with weight loss..I healed my insulin resistance by cutting down on fruits and all sugar.

biffbelvin

Dietary fat is necessary for hormonal production. The hair fall is likely due to a net drop in hormones across the board, including progesterone. I find it useful with clients to find the minimal effective dose for dietary fat (usually around 20-30g) and protein (usually 80-100g) then adjust carbohydrates up or down depending on their goals. I think it’s also important to eat according to the randle cycle (avoid eating carbs and fats at the same time). I eat fruits/rice throughout the day then coconut/chocolate at night.

Is there any particular advantage to eating the fatty meal in the evening?

One of the things putting me off following the randle cycle more strictly is my desire to gain weight. I really struggle to eat enough calories without consuming some fat. This could be a decent way around that however.

mrchibbs

Aspirin. Lots of it (with vitamin K2). Along with gelatinous cuts of meat, sweet fruits (even canned is great), and good milk. Sunshine to top it off.

Peatful

Aspirin accelerated my alopecia.
You have AA or TE?

I’ve also noticed a large shed when I overdo the aspirin too.
Three separate times. Over a span of 2.5 years apart.

What I conclude is that it has an exfoliating property.

I would shed hair and scalp. Sloughing away the dead telogen hair and dead scalp cells to make room for healthy new terminal growth.

My best hypothesis.

Are you indeed AA patterned?

Last edited:

redsun

You have AA or TE?

I would shed hair and scalp. Sloughing away the dead TE hair and dead scalp cells to make room for healthy new terminal growth.

My best hypothesis.

I don't know about alopecia but if iron stores are too low it can cause hair loss. Aspirin chelates iron. There are a few who were only able to stop hair loss after taking iron supplements though it would have been better to just eat red meat or iron rich food like spleen for the iron.

Peatful

I don't know about alopecia but if iron stores are too low it can cause hair loss. Aspirin chelates iron. There are a few who were only able to stop hair loss after taking iron supplements though it would have been better to just eat red meat or iron rich food like spleen for the iron.

Good conclusion - but my Fe / Iron are not low.
Any other thoughts?

Here is the relevant thread :
Too Much Aspirin At Once: Massive Shedding

dreamcatcher

You have AA or TE?

I would shed hair and scalp. Sloughing away the dead telogen hair and dead scalp cells to make room for healthy new terminal growth.

My best hypothesis.

I tried it 4 times, at each time a coin size of hair loss on my scalp and thinning eyebrows all over.
Well 6 years into the Peat's diet and my knee length hair is now bottom length atm and see through at the lower parts.

Peatful

I tried it 4 times, at each time a coin size of hair loss on my scalp and thinning eyebrows all over.
Well 6 years into the Peat's diet and my knee length hair is now bottom length atm and see through at the lower parts.
Alopecia areata.
I’m sorry to hear that.
Hair loss is scary; at least it was for me.
(I had general bouts of TE from being malnourished; over exercised; stressed; dead metabolism; etc.)

dreamcatcher

Alopecia areata.
I’m sorry to hear that.
Hair loss is scary; at least it was for me.
(I had general bouts of TE from being malnourished; over exercised; stressed; dead metabolism; etc.)
Wow I'm sorry to hear that. How did you heal when it comes to diet?
My work is physically very stressful..:(

Peatful

Wow I'm sorry to hear that. How did you heal when it comes to diet?
My work is physically very stressful..:(

Actually- I did leave my stressful work.
Never thought about that piece until now. @Aymen

Food wise-
Just as Roddy requotes Blake;
Through much experimentation.

Needed weight gain.
No more compulsive exercise.
Unlearning.
Relearning.

When I was most anorexic (unintentionally) - I did a number on my gut.
So, much of my food journey was /is figuring out digestively what is best for me.

I’ve landed into a very Peat centric way of eating.
High sugar ; lower starch ; moderate protein; adequate fats.
Mostly, I am no longer orthorexic.
I don’t fear food or weight or eating.

I eat about 2500k cal a day.

I’m 5’7”
I was 112 pounds and now around 132 pounds.

Hair takes a long time to relearn itself; at least for me it did.
But when I address my gut heath, and my BS regulation- things started to fall into place for me.

What’s hard is that every persons story is different.
Luckily, Peats principles were spot on for me (although I really fought for years to eat less starch- but maybe the intuitive wisdom of my body knew I needed those calories and nutrients before limiting them.)

dreamcatcher

Actually- I did leave my stressful work.
Never thought about that piece until now. @Aymen

Food wise-
Just as Roddy requotes Blake;
Through much experimentation.

Needed weight gain.
No more compulsive exercise.
Unlearning.
Relearning.

When I was most anorexic (unintentionally) - I did a number on my gut.
So, much of my food journey was /is figuring out digestively what is best for me.

I’ve landed into a very Peat centric way of eating.
High sugar ; lower starch ; moderate protein; adequate fats.
Mostly, I am no longer orthorexic.
I don’t fear food or weight or eating.

I eat about 2500k cal a day.

I’m 5’7”
I was 112 pounds and now around 132 pounds.

Hair takes a long time to relearn itself; at least for me it did.
But when I address my gut heath, and my BS regulation- things started to fall into place for me.

What’s hard is that every persons story is different.
Luckily, Peats principles were spot on for me (although I really fought for years to eat less starch- but maybe the intuitive wisdom of my body knew I needed those calories and nutrients before limiting them.)
Thank you for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate it. I have very different experiences but maybe it's my job which is the major problem. I will try to find a new one. I'm happy for you..:):

ilhanxx

for drink: filter coffee+cocoa butter+jelatin.(very tasty)

another option: olive leaf (activate wnt signaling pathway) + ginger french press tea

hand made yoghurt+brewer yeast+honey combo (rich for b complex and calcium-phospat balance)

for topical: aspirin+b complex+iodine+ginsenosyde(phanax) +d3k2+caffeine+aescin combo (very mix but so effective, you can test it)

dairy can increase dht and acne, All peat principles are excellent for general health. Probiotics are bad for me, some days in a month, fasting+activated charcoal is good for gut health. Hair health like a phone battery, it need long time to recover, good luck for everyone.

redsun

Good conclusion - but my Fe / Iron are not low.
Any other thoughts?

Here is the relevant thread :
Too Much Aspirin At Once: Massive Shedding

Depends on ferritin. It may be "in range" but some people's body want more iron then others. Someone may have a ferritin of 50 and not experience hair loss while someone else with the exact same ferritin may still have hair loss. Iron is needed for oxygenation but for some it can be unability to mobilize iron which is the same as being deficient in a way. I think Vitamin A, C, B2, B12 + Folate(for forming red blood cells, aka oxygenation) and copper are the main things needed for iron mobilization. Of course if iron is too low they may not make a difference.

Aymen

I can't unfortunately. I have to have specific hours so that I can take my child to school and pick her up and I don't have a car so my workplace has to be close enough.
no problem, for now focus on diet and limitting the stress as much as you can and when you will be able to find another job then go for it :).