Diet Completely Free Of Salt? Possible To Survive / Thrive?

BearWithMe

My body doesn't tolerate salt. I have tried every possible way of ingesting salt, have tried various brands / types of salt, but every time, I get intensive nausea, acid reflux, stomach pain, fatigue, brain fog and insatiable thirst.

My doctor told me that my esophagus is damaged by the refulx and I'm thinking about avoiding salt altogether to stop further damage (and the suffering).

Is it possible to survive in somewhat good health without eating any salt?

Last edited:

burtlancast

Charlotte Gerson did it for 70 years, so i guess it's possible.

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

Just have readed a bit about Gerson (and some of your posts about Gerson on this forum) and wow, this is eye-opening (especially this post and the studies linked).

A lot of things Gerson was promoting mirrors my expirience and makes a lot of sense even in RP context (not everything, though). It seems that Max Gerson haven't eated much salt either...

Thank you, burtlancast!

EDIT: Is that Max Gerson in your profile picture?

In my personal experience it is not possible long term, dangerous and deteriorating for any preexisting condition and health in general. I treat anyone claiming it is possible as a quack. I was under influence of anti salt propaganda broadcasted by wide range of scam artists like Bragg or Graham. Dont do it, you will regret.

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

methylenwhite: Many thanks for sharing your expirience! What do you think is the worst consequence of going salt-free? What issues have you expirienced on salt-free diet?

methylenwhite: Many thanks for sharing your expirience! What do you think is the worst consequence of going salt-free? What issues have you expirienced on salt-free diet?
The worst is death caused by electrolyte disbalance. I experienced electrolyte disbalance and ended up in ER. Even doing thing like cerely juice claimed to be high in sodium. All of the advocates of salt-free diet have never lived and conducted physically demanding tasks in hot climate.

I guess you can try using sodium bicarbonate as a source of sodium to check if you can tolerate it. But please DONT go sodium free.

Douglas Ek

I guess you can try using sodium bicarbonate as a source of sodium to check if you can tolerate it. But please DONT go sodium free.

As avoiding salt you mean avoiding table salt, snacks and foods that is salted? You can eat veggies, fruits, meat, dairy, seafood? All has sodium in it i guess? I dont really feel it would be a problem. Dont see any health benefits with it or negatives either. Has been done many times in history.

theLaw

My doctor told me that my esophagus is damaged by the refulx and I'm thinking about avoiding salt altogether to stop further damage (and the suffering).

Having gone through bouts of digestive issues and serious acid reflux, I would suggest glycine or gelatin if you can handle it. Now I can eat over 1 Tbsp of salt per day without any problem.

Glycine Can Completely Prevent Esophagus Damage Caused By GERD

GERD (acid Reflux) Is Caused By Inflammation, Not Stomach Acid

https://www.amazon.com/BulkSuppleme...549842658&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=glycine&psc=1

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

Have tried various "salt replacements", but sodium bicarbonate not yet! Never tought of it as source of dietary sodium. Have to buy some baking soda as soon as possible

As avoiding salt you mean avoiding table salt, snacks and foods that is salted? You can eat veggies, fruits, meat, dairy, seafood? All has sodium in it i guess? I dont really feel it would be a problem. Dont see any health benefits with it or negatives either. Has been done many times in history.
Because of the nausea and pain, I have developed very strong habit of avoiding all high sodium foods, including foods naturally high in sodium. I'm eating no veggies and seafoods and limited amounts of meat, but I'm eating a lot of fruits and lot of dairy. According to my cronometer, I'm getting 250mg of sodium, 3500mg of potassium and 425mg of magnesium daily from these foods.

Having gone through bouts of digestive issues and serious acid reflux, I would suggest glycine or gelatin if you can handle it. Now I can eat over 1 Tbsp of salt per day without any problem.
I just have started experimenting with glycine last week :): Have high hopes, but glycine won't help with the other ill effects the salt gives me, especially the fatigue and brain fog, is that correct?

Last edited:

Douglas Ek

Have tried various "salt replacements", but sodium bicarbonate not yet! Never tought of it as source of dietary sodium. Have to buy some baking soda as soon as possible

Because of the nausea and pain, I have developed very strong habit of avoiding all high sodium foods, including foods naturally high in sodium. I'm eating no veggies and seafoods and limited amounts of meat, but I'm eating a lot of fruits and lot of dairy. According to my cronometer, I'm getting 250mg of sodium, 3500mg of potassium and 425mg of magnesium daily from these foods.

I just have started experimenting with glycine last week :): Have high hopes, but glycine won't help with the other ill effects the salt gives me, especially the fatigue and brain fog, is that correct?[/QUOTE

I dont think baking soda will be better. If theres one source of sodium that is irritating and make me nauseus its baking soda. I would start with 1 liter of water and mix in just a tsp with that and drink it slowly throughout the day.

Ella

Forum Supporter
Charlotte Gerson did it for 70 years, so i guess it's possible.
I heard some of Gerson's patients had to be admitted to hospital due to hyponatremia. Do you know whether there is any truth in this?

burtlancast

I heard some of Gerson's patients had to be admitted to hospital due to hyponatremia. Do you know whether there is any truth in this?

Hyponatemia is never caused by dietary salt restriction.

Humans and animals evolved over millenaires without the need of NaCl supplementation.

theLaw

I just have started experimenting with glycine last week :): Have high hopes, but glycine won't help with the other ill effects the salt gives me, especially the fatigue and brain fog, is that correct?

You'll quickly learn that everything is connected to a degree, so healing the gut can do wonders for a myriad of different issues.

schultz

Have you considered that you might have a stomach ulcer or something along that line?

burtlancast

In my personal experience it is not possible long term, dangerous and deteriorating for any preexisting condition and health in general. I treat anyone claiming it is possible as a quack.

Notwithstanding this surgeon opinion about cholesterol and heart disease, he did adopt a salt free diet and died just 3 months ago at 104.

Ella

Forum Supporter
Hyponatemia is never caused by dietary salt restriction.

Humans and animals evolved over millenaires without the need of NaCl supplementation.
Then why do we need to give animals salt licks? Why do people on salt-reduced diets do so poorly especially the elderly who end up with pacemakers.

It has always intrigued me. Gerson and Kempnar saw salt as a toxin, yet Peat views salt as being mandatory for taming adrenaline and improving metabolism. Many of the members on this forum would not be able to function optimally without it.

What about Solute: Sodium Symporter (SSS) Family?

Sodium-solute symporter - Wikipedia
Sodium-Iodide Symporter

Ella

Forum Supporter

Notwithstanding this surgeon opinion about cholesterol and heart disease, he did adopt a salt free diet and died just 3 months ago at 104.

Too sad to learn of his passing. Such a beautiful and passionate man - a gift to humanity.

paymanz

In my personal experience it is not possible long term, dangerous and deteriorating for any preexisting condition and health in general. I treat anyone claiming it is possible as a quack. I was under influence of anti salt propaganda broadcasted by wide range of scam artists like Bragg or Graham. Dont do it, you will regret.
Graham is interesting , because apparently his an athlete, you loss lots of salt in your sweat.idk how his still alive, if he really avoids salt!

Makrosky

Then why do we need to give animals salt licks? Why do people on salt-reduced diets do so poorly especially the elderly who end up with pacemakers.

It has always intrigued me. Gerson and Kempnar saw salt as a toxin, yet Peat views salt as being mandatory for taming adrenaline and improving metabolism. Many of the members on this forum would not be able to function optimally without it.

What about Solute: Sodium Symporter (SSS) Family?

Sodium-solute symporter - Wikipedia
Sodium-Iodide Symporter
I don't understand it either. Not because Peat says it is good or not but because I cannot think of any population in history where people has lived without salt ? I mean 100% without sodium chloride. Is that even possible ? Sodium is in foods. Maybe someone can give some info about it ?

I can understand going without salt for temporary therapeutical reasons (Gerson for cancer, etc.)