Diet check, lots of table sugar

GdayMate

Hi guys, I've been lurking on this forum for a while now and it seems like a good community with lots of helpful information. I've recently switched from a low carb paleo to a peat style diet with a focus on correcting metabolism and mood. My main issues are acne, rosacea and IBS-C. pretty much every hypo symptom you can think of.

Here's an example of what I eat every day http://imgur.com/a/1tlC8

I mix things up and eat eggs, whiting or lamb instead of the beef, but try to hit the same amount of protein each day. Oh and I forgot to add in my 2 raw carrots that I have! I also eat a whole liver over two weeks.

My biggest problem adopting this diet is all the adverse reactions I'm getting from fruit and dairy. Watermelon, mangos, dates, citrus, apple juice etc all cause itching around my mouth and a bright red itchy face shortly after consumption. Milk and icecream seem to cause acne and bloating even though I'm eating liver every two days or so for vitamin a.

The supplements I take are, egg shell powder, unique e vitamin e, nutrimeds NDT and Thorne K2/D blend.

Basically I'm asking for help and opinions on whether or not what I'm eating is okay until I can tolerate more fruits and dairy better, I was on zero sugar paleo for the past two years, so I'm guessing it will take some time for my digestive system to be roaring again. Thanks!

tara

Gidday GdayMate,

Some ideas, but I'm not going to make a blanket ok or not judgement. You can try it out for a bit and see what results you get.
Handy to get such clear indications of allergy.
Have you got access to/tried any other fruits, esp tropical ones? Did you see the list of fruits in the stickied thread in the diet section? I occasionally splash out on a pawpaw. If you are lucky, this will improve over time. You could leave the out for a month or two and then cautiously try again. Do you get teh same reaction to cooked fruits as raw? Are the oranges/juice you've been reacting to sweet and ripe? Excess citric acid from unripe oranges can be aggravating.

Looks like slightly undereating, though if you've been low carb for a while, it may take a while for your system to adapt to more carbs again.

Some people seem to be able to improve their tolerance of the lactose in milk by introducing it in small amounts with meals, and gradually increasing as the lactase enzymes ramp up. And some find they are happy with some kinds of milk but not others. So you could experiment with that if you want.

Consider adding in some gelatine with meat meals to help balance amino acids.

Maybe consider an occasional green broth to get some more minerals?

Good luck.

OP
G

GdayMate

Hey Tara thanks for the advice.

I did well with lychees and fresh mangos a few weeks ago, but they've just gone out of season here and the frozen mangos cause itchiness.

The first few weeks when I was gorging on lychees etc was when I felt the best, but my hayfever and asthma came back about a week into it so I'm trying to go hypoallergenic.

Rockmelon and pawpaw are next on my list to try, but I don't have high hopes seeing as most fruit is problematic.

I haven't tried cooking fruits yet but doesn't that cause allergy issues? Or does the high heat issue mean "industrial high heat" like mollasses etc.

My issue with citrus is kinda different from reactions to other fruit, I get deep cysts after too many, including ripe organic ones. A few people have brought this up on acne.org so there's a group of people who have issue with citrus.

I've got some Great Lakes on the way and I'll try to eat a bit more, though I've already started to gain a bit of abdominal fat from the extra carbs, I assume that when my metabolism is fixed this will disappear though.

Also is it normal to get colder after drinking juice? I've been mixing two tbsp of white sugar to a glass of coconut water and it doesn't warm me up like the mango did.

tara

I guess liquids straight out of the fridge might cool you down. You could see if you get the same effect with it a bit warmer. If the calorie density is too low for your current state - ie too much water per calories -that can get some people. Sometimes extra salt helps. Or only drinking with meals.

If fruit is not fully ripe, stewing them can make them easier to handle. I've not heard of regular stove-top stewing in water with sugar causing problems, and for some people and fruits - eg apples - it can make a difference.

I wonder whether rotating the fruits you do best on would help avoid worsening allegies - eg eating lychees once a week, rather than every day? Sugar and salt both have some anti-allergic effects, which might help. But if fruits not working for you, you can see if you can make it work without.

Poster Mittir found he could manage one brand of apple juice, and other than that he had no fruit, and found a diet he was very happy with. He also made lots of good posts about foods that can be irritating, amongst other things. You could look them up if you wanted. I think apples and other rosacaea, mangoes, water melon and citrus are all know as being problematic for some people. I've not heard of issues with pawpaw or lychees.

Gaining fat seems to be common for people eating enough/enough carbs again after undereating or low carbs. I don't know if it is avoidable. Fo me, being healthy is more important than being lean.

SQu

Have you read the rosacea article? Very helpful. It will remind you to keep blood sugar up, with regular snacks until glycogen storage improves. Peat also says the skin mirrors the gut which is a neat fit with your main issues. You mention eggshell - especially if not having dairy I'd make sure to get enough of that to fix the calcium phosphorus ratio which I think peat recommends should be 1.5 to 1. You'll feel better for it too.

OP
G

GdayMate

Hi guys thanks for all the advice.

I've been experimenting a bit more and have improved my diet a bit.

http://imgur.com/ZAkoZRr&y33sXTg&RreV3f7#0 (3 images)

One thing that gets me is that after my lunch at work I always suddenly feel very cold and tired. I get light headed and can't focus at all, usually I take a 30 min walk and it clears up, but in the first few minutes I feel like I'm about to fall over! This happens 90% of the time even prior to discovering peat when i was low carb paleo.

To me this sounds like something insulin/blood sugar related but I really have no idea. Any advice would be appreciated

Zachs

That low carb paleo can sure screw everything up. Sounds like you are pretty severely hypo and probably.running entirely on stress hormones. Have you had your thyroid checked recently? Allergies from common foods is common when common off a restrictive diet, my advice would be to keep eating it little by little and see if you can build up a tolerance. Dairy is key. Another thing, you seem to be under earing and eating way too much muscle meat, this will slow your recovery. have you tried ripe bananas? Also even if dairy causes acne and bloated, keep eating it, this will pass when you become less hypo.

OP
G

GdayMate

@zachs Is there any reason to eat dairy when I can get the same nutrition from other things that won't break me out?

I've been getting a bit of Jarlsberg cheese because the cheap stuff doesn't sit too well. I tolerate Jarlsberg well, but it's a bit pricey to make a staple of.

OP
G

GdayMate

Oh by the way, I was on 10mg of accutane (isotretinoin) during my first year of paleo, funnily enough I think the low carb is what started the acne in the first place.

Is it possible that accutane damaged my liver's ability to store glycogen or something similar?

tara

GdayMate said:
Oh by the way, I was on 10mg of accutane (isotretinoin) during my first year of paleo, funnily enough I think the low carb is what started the acne in the first place.

Is it possible that accutane damaged my liver's ability to store glycogen or something similar?
I don't know about isotretinoin, but I think a long period of low carb could probably do it for some people.

tara

GdayMate said:
@zachs Is there any reason to eat dairy when I can get the same nutrition from other things that won't break me out?

I've been getting a bit of Jarlsberg cheese because the cheap stuff doesn't sit too well. I tolerate Jarlsberg well, but it's a bit pricey to make a staple of.

If you can find milk or cheese that agrees with you, it's got a lot going for it. People seem to vary wrt what they tolerate/thrive best on. So if you have other kinds available, it could be worth trying them. Some people seem to do better with raw/unhomogenised/pasteurised/ultrapasteurised/without added vitamins etc/A2/goat/low fat/full fat etc.

If the trouble is with digesting lactose, then some people can improve lactase production by starting small, having a little milk with meals, and gradually increasing the amount of milk.

If you can't find one that seems OK for you, at least for now, then I'm guessing it's better to leave it out for a while and focus on getting what you need from other food. If you are not already eating quite a bit of gelatine (or hydrolysate), than that's a possibly useful addition for helping balance the amino acids in meat. You can always try the milk again in a few weeks or months and see if this changes.

Amazoniac

GdayMate said:

All I know is that very low-carb (don't know if it was your case) plus the accutane are very effective in disrupting gut health. It might play a role since creating inflammation in the gut overdrives the immune system and it can show up in the skin.
But also important in acne formation is metabolism. If there is any dysruption in coordination, comunication and stimuli for proper skin condition, acne will form. an example is skin shredding.
Many people report almost immediate reaction on the skin from PUFA, including me. And Ray Peat is right when he states that stored PUFA is not as damaging as circulating. When PUFA are stored, you won't notice the clear signs on your skin, only after restricting and when it starts to release that is noticeable. Most Paleo diets are notably high in PUFA.

OP
G

GdayMate

tara said:
GdayMate said:

If you can find milk or cheese that agrees with you, it's got a lot going for it. People seem to vary wrt what they tolerate/thrive best on. So if you have other kinds available, it could be worth trying them. Some people seem to do better with raw/unhomogenised/pasteurised/ultrapasteurised/without added vitamins etc/A2/goat/low fat/full fat etc.

If the trouble is with digesting lactose, then some people can improve lactase production by starting small, having a little milk with meals, and gradually increasing the amount of milk.

If you can't find one that seems OK for you, at least for now, then I'm guessing it's better to leave it out for a while and focus on getting what you need from other food. If you are not already eating quite a bit of gelatine (or hydrolysate), than that's a possibly useful addition for helping balance the amino acids in meat. You can always try the milk again in a few weeks or months and see if this changes.

I'll stick with just a bit of real animal rennet cheese for now and see if my tolerance improves.

On that note, is tryptophan something we should be wary of? I binged on some Jarlsberg this afternoon and I think it gave me a red flush across my face! :oops: I checked out the cheese on cronometer and it's really high in tryptophan which supposedly turns into niacin, which could cause a niacin flush. I've had issues with rosacea/flushing when I was low carb, but it mostly subsided when I started peating.

tara

GdayMate said:
On that note, is tryptophan something we should be wary of? I binged on some Jarlsberg this afternoon and I think it gave me a red flush across my face! :oops: I checked out the cheese on cronometer and it's really high in tryptophan which supposedly turns into niacin, which could cause a niacin flush. I've had issues with rosacea/flushing when I was low carb, but it mostly subsided when I started peating.
Peat suggests not overdoing the tryptophan. You can balance it to some extent by eating gelatin, which doesn't have any tryptophan. Tryptophan can turn into serotonin, too, and Peat attributes high serotonin with various difficulties. It's hard to avoid it altogether. IIRC the calcium and maybe other factors in milk help steer its tryptopan content more towards niacin, and less towards serotonin. When you 'binged' on the Jarlsberg, did you also get a good amount of carbs with it? Otherwise, maybe just too much protein and not enough carbs could maybe cause a stress reaction and flushing? Personally, i seem to have trouble with aged cheeses, but many people do fine with them.

squanch

I had some of the same issues, also coming from a low carb paleo background.
I used to get this red, irritated face and acne after eating certain fruits, honey, certain types of dairy, going in the sun to long, taking hot showers, exercising ...

Vit a and zinc seem to be the two most important factors here.

Beef liver is very high in copper which will worsen your zinc deficiency (zinc and copper are antagonists in the body and also compete during absorption).
Turkey liver would be the better option. A small piece every day works better for me personally than a big portion once a week.

You didn't mention oysters. I know they are expensive but don't skip those. Try eating at least 1 per day, more are better in the beginning (buying a dozen at a time and freezing them alive in the shell works great).
I personally found that a zinc supplement is no real substitute for this.

If you react negatively to cow dairy, try switching to goat or sheep dairy (preferably raw).

Assuming you are male:
Stop ejaculating (doesn't matter if it's during sex or masturbation).
Once your skin problems have cleared up, find a frequency that works best for you
note: I didn't say stop having sex
There's a thread about this on the other forum at the moment:
http://peatarian.com/54641/doing-nofap

Chocolate, alcohol and large amounts of cow's milk/cheese are still kinda problematic for me and will give me mild acne if I consume them daily. A lot of people seem to have skin problems with those, you might want to avoid them in the beginning and try reintroducing them later.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals