Die off hives from carrot salad!!!? Help

Im having a tough time dealing with my eczema and ray peat inspired diet.

The major view i dont understand is how Ray didnt think much of gut flora but views like Dr Ayers or Joseph Cohen on Treg was what got me better at the first place. I did supplements and probiotic to fix my Treg according to the theory that probiotic and such induce Treg cells.

Now I never fixed my low metabolism at the time and hence I tried to fix it this summer, but ended up not taking care of nutritional deficiencies and ended up with eczema outbreak again.

I want to know how Ray Peat would try to fix autoimmunity other than Carrot Salad and high carb high protein and low PUFA. What should I do for autoimmunity if i dont do it the probiotic way?

lexis

Treg Cells and Ray Peat? Nothing but carrot salad?

activated charcoal
cyproheptadine
antibiotic

OP
K

Can you help guide me to some of the ways that a sterile gut fixes autoimmune / fix those conditions? I'm having a tough time understanding the rationale behind sterile gut and I've been having carrot salad and antibiotic already.

lexis

Have you checked your iron levels? High iron levels can aggravate the effects of bacteria.

Cranberry juice can reduce iron levels.

lexis

Ray says endotoxin is the cause of eczema. Endotoxin also increases estrogen which slows the metabolism by interfering with thyroid

Eating easily digestible food is the starting point.

Taking a supplement of Vitamin A,p5p and E helps to reduce estrogen. Vitamin B1 and B2 deficiencies inhibit liver from detoxing the estrogen.

I have heard that coffee enema is a powerful liver detox

tara

I have been eating a lot less fibre and starch the last couple of years than in previous decades. I've not completely eliminated them - I still eat some starch and some fibre (in addition to carrot salad) most days. I have a lot less obvious digestive discomfort. I have acquired eczema for the first time in the last year. I'm not saying I think reduced probiotic food caused the eczema - I have several other candidates to work with.

But I'd say, if probiotics seemed to help your eczema before, I don't necessarily think trying to sterilise them away is going to make things better.
Systemic endotoxin load isn't just about how much bacteria and endotoxin is in your gut, it's also about the gut barrier function.
There can be other factors too that mess with gut function. Eg gluten can be hard on susceptible people's GI tract. Or carrageenan and similar gums. Or specific personal food intolerances. Or constipation. Or other systemic stress factors.

If you think the problem was nutritional deficiencies, and that the probiotic approach was helpful, then I'd consider seeing if you can rectify the deficiencies first, without trying to kill off the your mcrobiome that you have worked so hard to cultivate, and see if that helps. Ie, get enough carbs, protein, minerals, vitamins from food where possible, with maybe some supplements if not, a bit of fat but minimise PUFA.

How long have you been minimising PUFA? It can take a while (small number of years) to work it's way out of your tissues even after you largely stop eating it.

Then see if you can identify particular foods that are irritating to your GI. Mittir has some good posts mentioning common suspects. I don't remember them all, but I know he mentions watermelon and pectin as problematic for some people.

Are you eating any wheat/gluten? Some people seem to do OK with it, but for those who don't, it can be hard on the gut.

Other than probiotics, what other supplements were you taking at that time?

OP
K

Imbon my cellphone so i will reply later.

lexis said:
post 105228 Ray says endotoxin is the cause of eczema. Endotoxin also increases estrogen which slows the metabolism by interfering with thyroid

Eating easily digestible food is the starting point.

Taking a supplement of Vitamin A,p5p and E helps to reduce estrogen. Vitamin B1 and B2 deficiencies inhibit liver from detoxing the estrogen.

I have heard that coffee enema is a powerful liver detox

Can u help me out here? Had a carrot salad last night and woke up with more hives and intense itchiness. Die off symptom?

Last edited by a moderator:

tara

I tend to think of carrot salad as more broom than poison wrt bacteria and endotoxin.
What did you put in our carrot salad? Anything you don't ususally eat?

If it is a die off issue, then I imagine it should ease up in a couple of days if you persist. I would not have expected a particularly strong die off reaction to carrot salad, though, unless you added lots of unaccustomed raw garlic (not recommended by Peat). Peaple respond differently to it, though - a few people seem to get slowed transit from carrot salad - and constipation can increase endotoxin load.

You could try some activated charcoal to mop things up.
And/or some cascara sagrada to help keep things moving on and out, if transit is slow.

OP
K
tara said:
I tend to think of carrot salad as more broom than poison wrt bacteria and endotoxin.
What did you put in our carrot salad? Anything you don't ususally eat?

If it is a die off issue, then I imagine it should ease up in a couple of days if you persist. I would not have expected a particularly strong die off reaction to carrot salad, though, unless you added lots of unaccustomed raw garlic (not recommended by Peat). Peaple respond differently to it, though - a few people seem to get slowed transit from carrot salad - and constipation can increase endotoxin load.

You could try some activated charcoal to mop things up.
And/or some cascara sagrada to help keep things moving on and out, if transit is slow.

I used the exact recipe that ray recommened except the salt ( i just used table salt and sprinkled a bit) (coconut oil, ACV, and carrot..)
So I should persist?

Nina

knockinondoors said:
post 105215 Im having a tough time dealing with my eczema and ray peat inspired diet.

The major view i dont understand is how Ray didnt think much of gut flora but views like Dr Ayers or Joseph Cohen on Treg was what got me better at the first place. I did supplements and probiotic to fix my Treg according to the theory that probiotic and such induce Treg cells.

Now I never fixed my low metabolism at the time and hence I tried to fix it this summer, but ended up not taking care of nutritional deficiencies and ended up with eczema outbreak again.

I want to know how Ray Peat would try to fix autoimmunity other than Carrot Salad and high carb high protein and low PUFA. What should I do for autoimmunity if i dont do it the probiotic way?

Hello Knockinondoors,
I've been following your threads for a while, and I wish I had answers. Recently I almost got rid of all my eczema, then I relaxed too much, thinking I was fine, and it all came back. I changed something, I'm not sure what. I'll find it and report back...

I was wondering, have you done an elimination diet? have you looked into nickel allergy? citric acid allergy? Do you keep some kind of log? personally, I log what I eat in cronometer, but I also log how I feel like (using the add notes button). It helps me to identify triggers.

Some people get hives all over from their detergent, especially Tide. I react to all fragrances. And dust.

How do you take care of your skin? I used to make a cream with coconut oil, but I seem to react to that. I now use vaseline and sometimes zincofax.

Do you have cravings? I've been craving fresh oysters constantly, and it helps my skin (zinc). I'll have to switch to a supplement though, too expensive.

I don't seem to do so well with the carrot salad also. Is it the nickel in the raw carrot? is it the citric acid in some brands of coconut oil? citric acid in vinegar? EDIT: Raw carrot OK. I think I react to coconut oil.

Have you looked into fillers, in your supplements?

What milk do you drink? I'm testing whole milk this week.

For people allergic to everything, it seems that B6 is very useful. I think I have troubles now because I stopped using my B complex (contains silica). I'm waiting anxiously for my Energin and Estroban.

I get a lot of relief from aspirin, dissolved. Also: bag breathing, helps a lot.

More questions than answers, but I hope something helps.

Take care

Nina

One more thing: I put my hands directly under the red light. It heals. Do you use a red light?

How about daily sunlight?

I guess it all comes down to a combination of things... and time.

tara

knockinondoors said:
post 105527 I used the exact recipe that ray recommened except the salt ( i just used table salt and sprinkled a bit) (coconut oil, ACV, and carrot..)
So I should persist?
You could try just the grated carrot by itself or with salt, and see if that seems better?
Is the ACV and coconut oil new or were you eating them before anyway?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals