Did You Gain Or Lose Weight After Converting To Peat?

Gained or Lost

• Gained: Mostly Fat

• Gained: Mostly Lean Mass

• Gained: Mostly Water

• No Change

• Lost: Mostly Fat

• Lost: Mostly Lean Mass

• Lost: Mostly Water

Results are only viewable after voting.

opson123

Gained nothing, lost nothing. My gut is such a mess it probably isn't able to absorb enough energy from food to make me gain weight. A while back I ate about 3500kcal a day for a month and gained nothing. Mind you I'm 5´5" so that is a massive amount of food for me. Of those 3500kcals, over 1800kcal (200g+) was from dairy fat which according to some people should have made me obese lol. All I did gain from that experiment was an even more backed up gut and a month's worth of sleep deprivation.

berk

lampofred

Gained nothing, lost nothing. My gut is such a mess it probably isn't able to absorb enough energy from food to make me gain weight. A while back I ate about 3500kcal a day for a month and gained nothing. Mind you I'm 5´5" so that is a massive amount of food for me. Of those 3500kcals, over 1800kcal (200g+) was from dairy fat which according to some people should have made me obese lol. All I did gain from that experiment was an even more backed up gut and a month's worth of sleep deprivation.

Did you ever try cypro?

lampofred

No, most drugs here require a prescription which is a pain or impossible to get. Getting an SSRI prescription for gut issues would probably be easy though.

Higher dose Vitamin D has surprisingly been helping my digestion. I thought vitamin D, because it increases calcium absorption, was supposed to cause constipation but I guess that's only if magnesium/K2 is deficient.

Maybe worth a try before taking SSRIs.

opson123

Thanks! That SSRI comment was just a sarcastic jab at how easy it's to get them compared to other prescription drugs. :D

lampofred

Ahh gotcha. Dr. Peat recently had a newsletter saying one of the only slight benefits of SSRI drugs is that they reduce constipation (along with raising allopreg) so I took you literally.

Last edited:

Nemo

I had gained 30 pounds on a very low carb diet. Starting adding fruit, milk and sugar to my diet, lost the full 30 pounds in five months with no effort.

Then I had to go into the hospital for surgery. I was supposed to be in for four days, ended up being in there for 10 days, completely out of it and eating nothing until suddenly I woke up late on the 10th day and discharged myself against doctor's orders.

I had lost another 10-12+ pounds in the hospital (was too out of it to weigh myself right away, but I was skeletal). The day after returning home, I slowly resumed eating the same Peat diet I had lost 30 pounds on. But now, after the surgery and 10 days' fast, I gained 20 pounds on the same Peat diet. I fought the weight gain by reducing fat, cutting out all starch, returning to weight training, etc. Absolutely nothing worked. My body was determined to gain that weight.

Then I added coconut oil to my diet, about a tablespoon a day. The weight gain stopped immediately and over the next month or so I noticed my clothes were getting looser again. I'm now back at my normal weight. I'm not absolutely sure whether this weight loss was due to the coconut oil or just my body having recovered from the stress of the surgery and 10-day fast.

So I wasn't sure what to check off on the poll at the top of this thread, because I've both lost and gained weight on the exact same Peat diet.

OP
B

baccheion

@berk, I knew you meant edit. How does it look?
Heh.

Gained: mostly fat
Gained: mostly lean mass
Gained: mostly water
Nothing or minor change
Lost: mostly fat
Lost: mostly lean mass
Lost: mostly water

Single choice poll.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
@baccheion, I am going to tag @charlie to see if he can change it back to a single choice poll. After i switched it to multiple choice I could not change it back.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
@baccheion, I am going to tag @charlie to see if he can change it back to a single choice poll. After i switched it to multiple choice I could not change it back.
The software does not give us a way to switch it back once it is changed.

sladerunner69

Fat gain? What were your macros? Overall calories above maintenance? What sorts of food did you eat?

Mostly the Peaty recommendations. Orange Juice, Low fat organic Milk, Coffee with sugar and organic cream, high quality eggs cheeses liver etc. Occasionaly muscle meats/starches when eating with family. Completely avoiding pufa, gluten, legumes. Mostly avoiding alcohol except on special occasions.

I was not paying attention to macros much for a few years until I was 235 lbs and wanted to lose weight. I was up from 195 lbs when I was paleo bodybuilding. Some of the weight was muscle but much of it was fat. At I did not care because I was feeling better and that was more important. I was constantly getting sugar in to avoid the dreaded low blood sugar. However around 2017 I began trying to lose weight the peat recommended way, slowly and by lowering stress hormones. I was only ever able to get down to 220 peating. I think to avoid fat gain while peating you need to be very careful to avoid eating fat. If you do eat fat then you need to lower sugar. I think I went a bit overboard on carbohydrate intake, moreso than is necessary to keep a solid metabolism. I know people who keep good temps/pulse while eating <100 carbs per day, (but it may be from stress hormones).

Lately I have cut back big time on the dairy and sugars and emphasized meat in the diet. I am eating sometimes just 100g sugars instead of 300 or 400 i used to. Over the last couple months I have dropped from 225 to 205, so I am losing weight fast, perhaps even too fast. I know my cortisol is higher from blood labs.

OP
B

baccheion

Mostly the Peaty recommendations. Orange Juice, Low fat organic Milk, Coffee with sugar and organic cream, high quality eggs cheeses liver etc. Occasionaly muscle meats/starches when eating with family. Completely avoiding pufa, gluten, legumes. Mostly avoiding alcohol except on special occasions.

I was not paying attention to macros much for a few years until I was 235 lbs and wanted to lose weight. I was up from 195 lbs when I was paleo bodybuilding. Some of the weight was muscle but much of it was fat. At I did not care because I was feeling better and that was more important. I was constantly getting sugar in to avoid the dreaded low blood sugar. However around 2017 I began trying to lose weight the peat recommended way, slowly and by lowering stress hormones. I was only ever able to get down to 220 peating. I think to avoid fat gain while peating you need to be very careful to avoid eating fat. If you do eat fat then you need to lower sugar. I think I went a bit overboard on carbohydrate intake, moreso than is necessary to keep a solid metabolism. I know people who keep good temps/pulse while eating <100 carbs per day, (but it may be from stress hormones).

Lately I have cut back big time on the dairy and sugars and emphasized meat in the diet. I am eating sometimes just 100g sugars instead of 300 or 400 i used to. Over the last couple months I have dropped from 225 to 205, so I am losing weight fast, perhaps even too fast. I know my cortisol is higher from blood labs.
Avoid fat as in get just the RDA (65g/30%) or more like 10% of calories? 20%?

Is it effectively suggesting skim milk, orange juice, coconut oil, salt, gelatin, and weekly liver/oysters/mussels? Or the same with 1% milk replacing skim + coconut? Something else?

Runenight201

Lost weight. Once I began realizing how easily foods could subdue me I began underrating and then binge eating in cycles. I underate in an attempt to avoid that dreaded constipation, stupor, inflammation, or fatigue improper food consumption caused me. Every binge session always left me feeling awful, but my body was hungry and needed calories. I’m almost at a place where I’ve stabilized around foods that work, but I still don’t have my routine down to a T.

A Matt Stone eat for heat and reckless abandon diet caused me to be at an all time high weight of 210. Never have I felt more incapable and unathletic in my life. Shin splints, stretch marks, hyperhidrosis, insomnia, fatigue, acne, hair loss, anxiety, depression you name the condition I probably experienced it.

Im sitting at a comfortable 162 right now. Still have room for improvement in terms of leaning out and gaining muscle mass in my arms and legs, but I’m taking it easy and above all avoiding the catastrophic degenerative states that are all to easy to fall into.

In my opinion, if your belly and chest fat are increasing, something is going perniciously wrong. I deluded myself in my matt stone days with thinking that my fat gain was worth the muscle gain, but it really was not. I cringe looking at the old photos of me at such a high weight. It was a complete lack of self-awareness.

Last edited:

GreekDemiGod

Is it water, muscle, or fat gain? Is it due to issues processing starches? Any genetic testing? What would cause someone to have the opposite experience?
I put on muscle more easily with high starch. But I have issues digesting them.
I think I process sugar well metabolically, I reckon I have high insulin sensitivity, but not so great liver glycogen storage, if that is possible.
Or possibly adrenaline compensation from mild hypothyroidism making me stay lean year round.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals