Did Peat Foods Cause You to Become Peatian?

narouz

More fully:
Was it the Peat Diet that attracted you
and caused you to become a Peatian?

That is,
did you become a Peatian
because you looked at the staples of the diet:
-milk and cheese and butter
-coffee
-coconut oil
-oranges or orange juice
-sugar
-gelatin and bone broth
-smallish amounts of beef and lamb
-smallish amounts of potatoes
-smallish amounts of seafood

...did you look at that diet and say:
"Man! That is the diet for me!!
That is a f**cking diet made in heaven!!
Those are really the only foods I ever crave!!!
It's like Peat read my mind!!!!
If I could eat only those foods for the rest of my life,
I would be completely and totally satisfied!!!!!"

In other words
was it the sensual, delicious, satisfying, varied nature of the foods
that made you become Peatian?

Or:
Was it because you first bought into the science,
and were persuaded about the health benefits?

John Eels

I'm curious about how I can improve my health with dietary changes. I first stumbled upon ideas by Peat via the Jaminet's blog where they mentioned Danny Roddy. It was him who first introduced me to Ray Peat's ideas. That happened roughly a year ago.

The hardest part to swallow was Peat's ideas about serotonin which are so radically different what I had learnt. I feel like I am still at the very beginning and don't understand most of his reasoning. To accept that sugar was actually good for you was another difficult learning experience. I believed wholeheartly in the idea that sugar was bad. Sugar is very much demonized in our culture.

So, I wasn't lured into the diet by the food list but by the hope of good health. That the foods Peat recommends happen to be tasty is great. I love cheese. I love coffee.

It's interesting how as a kid I was eating most closely to what Peat recommends. Each Saturday I would visit my grandma to watch cartoons on TV the whole morning. I fed myself with 1.5 liter of coke. I drank a lot of milk and loved OJ. I could drink it in huge quantaties but thought I had to restrict myself as OJ was considered a special food that you only drank a glass of it. Growing up I stopped listening to what my body told me and embraced more and more of the conventional wisdom. Oatmeal is good sterdy breakfast. Banana is great after aerobic excercise (pah, aerobic excercise). Spinach is good for you b/c there is a lot of iron in it.

Sometimes I feel like I wake up from a bad dream. I chose the red pill when I've learnt about Peat's ideas.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
John Eels said:
Sometimes I feel like I wake up from a bad dream. I chose the red pill when I've learnt about Peat's ideas.

Yes, I feel and see that the "awakening" from all the lies is happening. But that's for another thread.

I found Ray Peat through Paul Jaminet also. It's been almost a year now. I cannot remember if I clung onto it because of food choices though. I was on a search for health. Paleo and low carb almost killed me. So I was desperate for healing. I do remember there was a crossroad that I was at. And I thought to myself, Ok, it seems like Paul Jaminet and Ray Peat are alike in some things, but a huge difference is the belief in where we should get our sugar from, starches, or fruit/fructose. I remember really beating myself up with that question. Finally I gave Ray Peat the nod and dove right in.

I honestly cannot remember though if the food choices helped me pick Peat. But I do not think I would have let the food choices dictate it. I was out for health, and I have seen the crap I will eat for health. So eating this way, the way I also loved to eat as a kid, made it a bunch easier.

Sunjoy

Charlie said:
...I do not think I would have let the food choices dictate it. I was out for health, and I have seen the crap I will eat for health. So eating this way, the way I also loved to eat as a kid, made it a bunch easier.

Ditto.

I didn't come to Peat for the food. I came for the promise of good health and high energy. That I love the food is a bonus. There is not a single thing I turn up my nose at - although I suppose the jury is still out on liver which I will cook tonight. :D

I've eaten some pretty horrible stuff for good health too. Kale and carrot tops come to mind. blech

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
No promises on the liver. :lol: I will say its gotten a lot easier though and the last batch I started to enjoy it. Knowing how powerful of a nutrient punch you get totally makes it worth it. Don't forget to get some gelatin with it to balance out the anti-thyroid amino acids.

Sunjoy

Charlie said:
No promises on the liver. :lol: I will say its gotten a lot easier though and the last batch I started to enjoy it. Knowing how powerful of a nutrient punch you get totally makes it worth it. Don't forget to get some gelatin with it to balance out the anti-thyroid amino acids.

ooh, thanks for the tip on taking gelatin with it. I would have missed that. So much to learn. ;)

gretchen

No, at first I was really against reintroducing milk. I just couldn't wrap my head around the idea. That the suggestions in his articles could be a system was not clear to me, nor did I think there was anything wrong with the system I was on.

J

j.

Obviously not. People choose a diet paradigm like paleo or peat's typically for the promise of better health.

OP
N

narouz

j. said:
Obviously not. People choose a diet paradigm like paleo or peat's typically for the promise of better health.

Well...I would seem obvious to me, j. :D
But a review of the responses here and over on my other related threads...
-"Is Peat Eating Instinctual?"
-"Is a Peat Diet a Difficult Diet?"
-"Why Are PUFAs Delicious?")
...would seem to indicate that
many, if not most folks here, claim that
Peat foods are precisely and exclusively
the most delicious, varied, satisfying, and sensual they can imagine,
and that they do not lust for nor crave any other kinds of food.

If that is true
then it is not obvious
that people become Peatians foremost for the health benefits.

If. ;)

kiran

narouz said:
If that is true
then it is not obvious
that people become Peatians foremost for the health benefits.

If. ;)

Well, people need to be de-programmed to accept their own instincts as good guides to follow. After everyone keeps teaching you to fight your own instincts, right from when you're a kid. This is only possible by convincing their conscious minds that maybe their instincts are reasonable after all. That's where Peat comes in.

Someone who truly ate instinctively would be mostly healthy and never need Peat.

J

j.

Many people don't eat Peat foods due to brainwashing (veggies are good. most people naturally dislike them). Absolute cluelessness (not knowing coconut oil even exists). Convenience (getting a bunch of delicious, ripe fruits can take a lot of time and effort, as opposed to eating bread, which is not delicious but has long shell life and is easy to get. if going to the supermarket always guaranteed that the fruits would have its optimal taste and won't change, sort of like bread, people would eat more fruits. but with fruits, you have to check if they're not spoiled, etc.).

OP
N

narouz

Well, kiran,
I think you're making something that, for me, is an assumption:

kiran said:
Someone who truly ate instinctively would be mostly healthy and never need Peat.

You would seem to be assuming that
to have an appetite for all-Peat foods
is to have a True Instinct.

I see why you would say that,
and I'm open to the argument.
But, I have some doubts about it.

I believe people in groups tend to "drink the Kool-Aid."
I believe some here drink the Peat Kool-Aid
and talk themselves into the belief
that all the Peat foods
are not only the most healthy
but also the most delicious.
Because it's prettier to look at life that way,
and because it reduces dissonance and conflict in one's inner world.

Now...those Kool-Aid drinkers can assert the assumption that
an appetite for exclusively Peat foods
points to a person
who possesses a Pure and True and Natural Instinct,
whereas those of us who crave things other than strictly Peat foods
have not purified ourselves sufficiently
or are not sensitive or aware enough
to be able to follow our True and Pure and Natural Instinct.

Again, I'll grant that you might be right about a Peat Appetite being a True Appetite
or an Instinctual Appetite.
But I weigh that argument against the one I laid out above,
about Kool-Aiding.

Consider:
Has Peat ever asserted the existence of a Pure Appetite,
or Instinctual Appetite,
which will guide one unerringly toward Peatian foods?

I have read him say things like
that in certain specific situations
one might be able to rely upon appetite as a guide.
For instance, I think I've heard him say that a craving for sweets
can be considered a healthy tip-off to the need for more sugars.

But I don't think I've ever heard him make a sweeping statement like:
"If you get in touch with your Inner Peatian,
your appetite will guide you reliably and instinctually only toward healthy foods."

Personally, I wouldn't necessarily expect life to be that simple.
Does our instinctual appetite for women (talkin' to the guys here)
unerringly lead us to our ideal mate?
Or are there "dark" or "evil" lures and snares,
which tempt and lead astray?

kiran

narouz said:
You would seem to be assuming that
to have an appetite for all-Peat foods
is to have a True Instinct.

It's generally not a true instinct, but it tends to work ok. People drink soda, because HFCS is "close enough" to sugar. They crave chips (or soy sauce) because they need salt. They crave meat or potatoes or rice or whatever.

If someone's instinct for healthy foods(and other things) is perfect, then they don't need to be here following Peat.

But... a lot of times our instinct is trying to tell us something. Like for example I was eating carrots just by chewing it up. But I was avoiding eating it, probably because it was stressful on my teeth. Now I make it into salad and I eat a lot more often.

gretchen

Seriously, I just got back from the grocery store, and the "Peat cart" (all orange and white food) isn't as cool as it was the first dozen or so times. People of all ages and sizes look disapprovingly of me, occasionally muttering "vegetables" or phrases like "start over" under their breath. No, the instinct is to fit in. It is currently out of style to have Hagen Daazs and and no salad greens in your grocery cart.

OP
N

narouz

gretchen said:
...the "Peat cart" (all orange and white food)...

Ha.
Gretchen-
You seem to think as I do
that for a lot of people trying to Peatanically,
we're drinking a whole lot of OJ and milk.

Nothing wrong with that.
Perhaps many things extremely right with it.
But you're not gonna see that diet on display on
"Iron Chef" or "Top Chef" or "Jacques Pepin" or....

It would seem to me to be a plain objective fact that
Ray Peat food is not the most delicious diet on the planet
to most people.
Now...it may be to some of us.
But not to most people.
Not even close.
Not even in the running! :lol:

(Notice: I never said anything against the possible health benefits. ;) )

J

j.

narouz said:
But not to most people.

why that amount of respect for the mob? you definitely don't belong to the natural aristocracy.

OP
N

narouz

j. said:
narouz said:
But not to most people.

why that amount of respect for the mob? you definitely don't belong to the natural aristocracy.

j.-
You're gonna have to translate the natural aristocracy thing for me.
But if I'm catching your meaning about the mob:

You may mean something like:
"Iron Chef" or "Top Chef" or "Jacques Pepin"
cook stuff that appeals to "most people,"
so you are calling them "the mob"...?

I'm not arguing that "the mob" knows what's healthy.
I'm merely saying that they show us what most people feel is delicious.
So I respect it simply as an objective fact of life.