Did Low Carb diet for 3 years, help!

dc_talk22

Hi everyone! I just found out about this forum and Ray Peat today! I am just coming off of a 3 year low carb, high fat and protein diet. I have Chronic Lyme Disease and was doing a treatment in February when it all came crashing down in March. I had tachycardia, fatigue, weak muscles, etc. Doctors have been looking into everything as I have been to the ER 10 times in the last several weeks. The hypoglycemia is so severe, I almost died.

My doctor suggested I switch to high carb, high protein diet. The tachycardia has subsided but I am still weak and fatigued. In the hospital, I was able to eat high carb, high protein. But I've realized, at home now, that the spikes in blood sugar are not good. So I'm limiting my carbs more and still eating protein. I'm finding in reacting to almost everything I eat (dizzy, lightheaded, ringing in head, massive blood sugar drops after meals). I realize my metabolic system is in crisis. I have to wear a continuous glucose monitor as I drop so fast that I don't realize I'm low sometimes.

How do I slowly gain my health back? What are some good foods to be introducing? What is your best advice for me?

Last edited:

Peatful

Welcome.
Discern everything here.
Use common sense and the infinite wisdom of your body.

With that: I have many questions for you and a few basics to pass along.

1- I almost died as well. A slow confusing death. Im actually somewhat impressed an MD actually gave you dietary advice.
2- you need lots of mini meals. Maybe 7-8 to start with. Then as you recover you can go to 5 to 4 to 3.
3- your meals need to be balanced 40/30/30 seems to be best. C/P/F.
Your mini meals needs to keep your BS steady. Crashing as little as possible.
4- but I did crash. I did become diabetic for a season. But my body knew what to do. I had to be consistent and give it lots of rest.
5- dont get caught up in the minutiae. Keep your eyes on steady BS and nourishing yourself. Giving your body space and time to heal. It will guide you. Dont overthink things or start doing too many interventions.
6- Foods? What sounds good? At this crisis point in your life- you have permission to eat just about anything. But keep the 40/30/30 in mind always. Mini meals. Keeping your BS steady. Go slow and steady.

Peatful

OP
D

dc_talk22

Welcome.
Discern everything here.
Use common sense and the infinite wisdom of your body.

With that: I have many questions for you and a few basics to pass along.

1- I almost died as well. A slow confusing death. Im actually somewhat impressed an MD actually gave you dietary advice.
2- you need lots of mini meals. Maybe 7-8 to start with. Then as you recover you can go to 5 to 4 to 3.
3- your meals need to be balanced 40/30/30 seems to be best. C/P/F.
Your mini meals needs to keep your BS steady. Crashing as little as possible.
4- but I did crash. I did become diabetic for a season. But my body knew what to do. I had to be consistent and give it lots of rest.
5- dont get caught up in the minutiae. Keep your eyes on steady BS and nourishing yourself. Giving your body space and time to heal. It will guide you. Dont overthink things or start doing too many interventions.
6- Foods? What sounds good? At this crisis point in your life- you have permission to eat just about anything. But keep the 40/30/30 in mind always. Mini meals. Keeping your BS steady. Go slow and steady.
Thank you for your response, Peatful!
Yes, I didn't expect to get dietary advice from an MD either. One nurse was very helpful in getting me to eat more carbs. She questioned me all day my first day in hospital.

Okay, I will do 7-8 mini meals a day. Okay, 40/30/30, I understand.

Steady blood sugar and nourishment. Got it. How long did it take you to recover? Months I would imagine? Slow and steady. Yep!

I have a wife and kids but it got so bad I had to move in with my retired mother. She's been my fulltime caregiver. Who would have imagined after all she's done to raise me already.

Thanks again. I'm slowly working my way through the articles you sent. Soaking it all up. I'm ready to enable my body to heal!

Peatful

Thank you for your response, Peatful!
Yes, I didn't expect to get dietary advice from an MD either. One nurse was very helpful in getting me to eat more carbs. She questioned me all day my first day in hospital.

Okay, I will do 7-8 mini meals a day. Okay, 40/30/30, I understand.

Steady blood sugar and nourishment. Got it. How long did it take you to recover? Months I would imagine? Slow and steady. Yep!

I have a wife and kids but it got so bad I had to move in with my retired mother. She's been my fulltime caregiver. Who would have imagined after all she's done to raise me already.

Thanks again. I'm slowly working my way through the articles you sent. Soaking it all up. I'm ready to enable my body to heal!
This is such an important message for people isnt it?
I hope this is a cautionary tale for all who come here from a keto, carnivore, restictive or orthorexic background

I was restricting for much much longer than you. Close to 20 years- so with that my recovery was about six years.

Proud of you.
You’re already over and through the hardest part.

natalie

I second mini meals. I had the same constant hypoglycemia that prevented me from sleeping through the night and had me on a constant mood roller coaster. I still love low carb but I eat things like some potato with my high protein salad or some hummus on my chicken. I actually find that high fat causes low blood sugar for me so I eat relatively low fat. I have about a half an avocado per day and other than than, the meat I eat is lean and I don’t add any oils to my salads or foods. I also eat hard boiled eggs often, which is a stabilizing food and snack.

also, I don’t know if you’re exercising but I took a big break from that for a bit. Then I started to do low impact lifting. That had a huge impact on my blood sugar regulation. It was so helpful to my overall metabolism.

OP
D

dc_talk22

I second mini meals. I had the same constant hypoglycemia that prevented me from sleeping through the night and had me on a constant mood roller coaster. I still love low carb but I eat things like some potato with my high protein salad or some hummus on my chicken. I actually find that high fat causes low blood sugar for me so I eat relatively low fat. I have about a half an avocado per day and other than than, the meat I eat is lean and I don’t add any oils to my salads or foods. I also eat hard boiled eggs often, which is a stabilizing food and snack.

also, I don’t know if you’re exercising but I took a big break from that for a bit. Then I started to do low impact lifting. That had a huge impact on my blood sugar regulation. It was so helpful to my overall metabolism.
Well originally, the low carb corrected the hypoglycemia and also the heart palpitations & breathlessness from the Lyme Disease. That's why I stuck with it for 3 years. I had great relief of symptoms!

I'm doing the mini meals. The white starches aren't getting me nearly as far as the whole grains were. I'm feeling weak and am lower bs after 2 hrs vs. 3-4 hours with whole grains. I'm still learning and I don't understand why are white starches better?

The only exercise I'm getting is from the bed to the couch and walking around the house a bit. I'm very weak. Weaker with the white starches.

Peatful

Well originally, the low carb corrected the hypoglycemia and also the heart palpitations & breathlessness from the Lyme Disease. That's why I stuck with it for 3 years. I had great relief of symptoms!

I'm doing the mini meals. The white starches aren't getting me nearly as far as the whole grains were. I'm feeling weak and am lower bs after 2 hrs vs. 3-4 hours with whole grains. I'm still learning and I don't understand why are white starches better?

The only exercise I'm getting is from the bed to the couch and walking around the house a bit. I'm very weak. Weaker with the white starches.
Dont get caught up in the details at this point.
Do what works best for your body at this time.
Mini meals can sometimes be one hour apart or three hours apart- as based on how you respond to what you have eaten.

This beginning of your journey is about getting in tune with your body again. Taking notes and then reporting back here to us as needed.

Once you’re more rooted in recovery- then you will go to the next step.
Keep it simple now. Balanced mini meals.
Rest.
Certainly if a particular food troubles you- cut it out.
But nourish yourself and rest.
DM me anytime.

Listen more to your body than what Ray Peat or any media says.
Your gut may be irritated by too much fiber. Eating whole grain will guarantee you a constant level of energy, but make sure to implement in your diet no fiber starch, just to increase your metabolism and decrease inflammation. For example, some beef steak + white rice and as a dessert bananas or oranges.

You may feel tired after a meal if you combine too much carbs with fat.

Also, most probably your sleep quality is not the best, during spring times your nose can be blocked due to pollen. Even if you think you don't have allergies... How do you breathe? Do you make noise when you inhale/exhale? That can decrease a lot your sleep quality and make you weak and tired even with a perfect diet.

ww3not4me

Well you were clearly fine for 3 years on your low carb diet with no issues.

The real problem now is that you have Lyme's Disease and it has damaged your immune system, metabolism and likely your organs. You now have massive inflammation through out your body and your liver and pancreases are not working right.

If your hypoglycemia is so bad it almost killed via a diabetic coma that means you are now type ii or i diabetic more than likely but if it is type ii it can likely be reversed.

My knowledge of Lyme's is limited but there are books and support groups on it. Some people have fantastic results with the standard antibiotic treatments and some people do not. The ones that do not usually have to seek out medical doctors that specialized in treating difficult cases. In addition to that their are some very specific dietary programs designed specifically for the treatment of Lymes and they are kind of new age-eee and or naturopathy.

My twins went to school with a young man that had it and he was taking the naturopathy route and so talking to his mom at sporting events is where most of my experience is from and what I have read myself. It was a diet that Ray Peat would not approve of since it was loaded with vegetable's and low on meat.

I am type ii diabetic and I have tried everything from high carbs, vegan, keto, vegan keto, low carb, carnivore and water fasting and made them all work as a diabetic so that is why I say your problem is not your diet it is your disease and the symptoms you have due to it currently.

You have to attack the cause of your Lyme's and deal with all the systemic inflammation all while balancing your blood sugar.

You will need to get a cheap glucose meter like a ReliOn Prime from Walmart for around $10 and learn how to use and understand what it is telling you.

You need to find some local support group for people with Lymes or find an online support group and get smart fast. You will likely need to reach out to medical professionals that specialize in Lyme's and be your own advocate in order to get a good outcome!

I would run your blood sugar a bit high until you get the hang of it all and get past the anxiety of it all.