Did I Give Myself EMS?

Sheepfan

Hey guys, so i recently I started taking

L tyrosine: 2,000mg a day.

5htp +b6 : 200mg a day

I've been taking the 5htp for about 2 weeks and l-tyrosine for maybe over a week. for about a week now I have had extreme hand pain that comes and goes, it's much worse in my left hand than it is my right but it's present in both of them . they don't feel weak at all, and only some things irritate them. I can go to the gym and lift weights just fine, I can play guitar just fine, but if I hit golf balls I can only hit about 20 before it becomes throbbing. I'm worried that taking the 5-HTP and l-tyrosine together has increase my serotonin levels too much and gave me EMS. I have no other symptoms though, and it's not like my hands even hurt while doing nothing. they feel fine until I press on certain areas of my hand that will irritate them a little bit. my hands are not swollen either. Is it possible with that dosage of those supplements I gave myself EMS?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
No. I dumped them yesterday
That’s good. It doesn’t seem likely you have that condition but obviously if you are worried you should get checked by someone in person. I’m just a stranger on the internet and not a doctor.
My suspicion would be that you reacted to the supplements- either impurities, additives or the actual vitamins/amino acids themselves. I believe 200 mg of b6 is a very large dose and about 20x more than Peat recommends. I’ve not known him to be a fan of 5-htp at all.
I hope you get to feeling better and get more input.

OP
S

Sheepfan

The dosage for b6 was only 20 mg. the odd thing is that I can lift heavy weights at the gym and feel completely fine with my hands, I can play guitar and feel completely fine as well. It only hurts whenever I play golf for some reason, if I press on certain bones it does hurt quite a bit.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
The dosage for b6 was only 20 mg. the odd thing is that I can lift heavy weights at the gym and feel completely fine with my hands, I can play guitar and feel completely fine as well. It only hurts whenever I play golf for some reason, if I press on certain bones it does hurt quite a bit.
Ok, sorry I must have read that incorrectly. Thanks.
I don’t think 20 mg of b6 for a few weeks would be harmful.
Do you golf a lot? May I ask your age?

OP
S

Sheepfan

26 in August. And I'm just getting back into it regularly. Been playing for 20 years

Blossom

Forum Supporter
26 in August. And I'm just getting back into it regularly. Been playing for 20 years
The best I have is to see how you do off the supplements and hopefully everything will improve with a little time.
There is probably someone here that knows more about EMS and hopefully they will respond. Best wishes to you @Sheepfan.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
The fact that it’s isolated to your hands and only when you golf makes me hopeful you are just building up those muscles after not using them regularly for awhile. :)

LuMonty

I'm about your age and recently had the same hand problem, but I haven't taken Tyrosine or 5HTP in awhile. Once I had a couple strong cups of coffee (opposes serotonin) my hands were back to normal. My assumption would be it's a serotonin issue related to the 5HTP. Years ago when I used 5HTP I'd get random sudden hand pain as well, sometimes in the wrists too.

Pointless

5-HTP is an extremely powerful substance. I used to induce manic episodes with a single capsule. I don't know anything about EMS, though. Wish you the best.

Sativa

Hey guys, so i recently I started taking
L tyrosine: 2,000mg a day.
5htp : 200mg a day
b6 20mg (as stated by op )

I've been taking the 5htp for about 2 weeks and l-tyrosine for maybe over a week...

Some other aspects worth noting, from a perspective elucidating all psychoactive effects (both direct and indirect):

The B6 will have been reducing prolactin, which (being in a reverse relationship with dopamine) triggers an equal increase in dopamine activity, enhancing other dopamine substances.

B6 also has a role in the tryptophan pathway that makes Kynurenic acid - which itself shares properties with disassociative hallucinogens like memantine, ketamine (haidut has mentioned memantine).
Kynurenic acid (KYNA) belongs to the kynurenines, a group of metabolically related compounds derived from the amino acid tryptophan.
It is an antagonist of glutamate- and α7 nicotinic acetylcholine (α7nACh) receptors.
Also enhances dopamine neurotransmission
Ketamine is a combination of glutamine NMDA antagonism, Dopamine D2 agonism, mTor activity (stimulates neurogenesis!), and some Mu and Delta opioid actions. (and possibly muscarinic and sigma activity)

Tyrosine contributes to elevated psychoactive neurotransmitters-
Both noradrenaline (NA) and dopamine (DA) are synthesized from the amino acid tyrosine

5HTP ofc generates serotonin and likely also alters dopamine, tryptophan and MAO enzyme activity.

An insight into the psychoactive bio-chemical dynamics of 'superficially simple' supplements. (the collagen amino acid profile is nicely psychoactive at average doses!)

Caffeine enhances Dopamine 2&3 receptors via its adenosine antagonism. It makes a great psychoactive synergistic add-on

Last edited:
OP
S

Sheepfan

Some other aspects worth noting, from a perspective elucidating all psychoactive effects (both direct and indirect):

The B6 will have been reducing prolactin, which (being in a reverse relationship with dopamine) triggers an equal increase in dopamine activity.

B6 also has a role in the tryptophan pathway that makes Kynurenic acid - which itself shares properties with memantine, ketamine (haidut has mentioned memantine)

Tyrosine contributes to elevated psychoactive neurotransmitters-

5HTP ofc generates serotonin and likely also alters dopamine, tryptophan and MAO enzyme activity.

An insight into the psychoactive bio-chemical dynamics of 'superficially simple' supplements.
I'm not sure what that means for me haha

OP
S

Sheepfan

Is it possible it's an infection? I had a swollen lymol node in my armpit the other week, now the lymph node is not swollen but my hands hurt. Possibly an infection?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
7909D762-F2EA-4201-A5CE-26E389B362DE.png
Would an x-ray potentially show anything?
Maybe blood work would be useful.
Eosinophilia-Myalgia Syndrome | Apfed

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals