Did Anyone Actually Improve Their Health By Drinking Coffee?

Collden

Just wondering, for people who did not regularly drink coffee before, did you find some way to make it work for you and experience improved health as a result of regular coffee consumption? Seems practically all accounts I read here are about people experiencing health issues when they try to incorporate coffee into their diet.

Makes me think the positive health effects observed for coffee consumption in the literature is just a case of reverse causation where only healthy people are able to tolerate regular coffee consumption to begin with.

aquaman

Not me - definitely makes me worse. Jittery and bad sleep with anxiety. No amount of milk, sugar, other food, timing, processing styles etc changes it. Just doesn't work for me. For people to say that everyone needs it is purely wrong.

biggirlkisss

makes me have a bowel movement faster takes my nausea down and helps my digestion more helpful then ginger but ginger still good.

Peatful

Just wondering, for people who did not regularly drink coffee before, did you find some way to make it work for you and experience improved health as a result of regular coffee consumption? Seems practically all accounts I read here are about people experiencing health issues when they try to incorporate coffee into their diet.

Makes me think the positive health effects observed for coffee consumption in the literature is just a case of reverse causation where only healthy people are able to tolerate regular coffee consumption to begin with.
I was a new coffee drinker.
Saw positive and negative effects.
Positive=headache relief, warmth, energy, tastes awesome
Negative=too acidic, harsh on my gut

In the end the negative outweighed the positive unfortunately.
Now I take occasional caffeine pills, 200mg dose.

churchmouth

I'm in too deep and a long time part of my life to understand whether it is positive or negative. I get headaches if I don't have a coffee within 6hrs of waking.

tallglass13

Im 1 month off any caffeine...was tough for 2 weeks with brain fog and sleepiness...but now, best ive felt since as long as i can remember. ...been doing gbolduev's recommendations for pfs and hair growth, and am seeing all the benefits. ..ive always drank coffee...as a truck driver, and now as a nurse. ...i definitely need to heal my adrenals...now i sleep deeper, and run off my own adrenaline

Frankdee20

I actually just enjoy the taste of it, I really don’t need three cups a day, but one is nice. I’ve been drinking coffee on and off a long time, but will say, pairing it with synergistic things works better than not. It increases my temp with Aspirin, likely metabolism as well. I take it with B Complex containing ample amounts of thiamine and Niacinamide, but can’t say I notice increases in cognitive function. Perhaps it does other things. Only when paired with magnesium citrate does it really increase bowel movements. Paired with Ginseng, Rhodiola, then gets really stimulating, and that’s got to be doing something for metabolism as well. I’ve lost 15 pounds doing nothing but this, granted I no longer snack late at night. I’m 38, 6’2”, 220 now, and although ideal BMI is around 189 pounds, I think that’s too skinny. Seems like the weight I lost has been belly fat. But I also take K2, and D3, so maybe those things help too

Tarmander

I've been drinking coffee now for almost two years. Was definitely a rough start, and the higher amounts don't work for me no matter how much I tried. I do about a cup and a half these days. Don't really feel it, mildly enjoyable, and helps with circadian rhythm quite a bit. I can also do a few ice teas with lunch and not have any impact on my sleep which is nice. It can definitely Improve health but it can be a long haul to get to that place.

OP
C

Collden

I've been drinking coffee now for almost two years. Was definitely a rough start, and the higher amounts don't work for me no matter how much I tried. I do about a cup and a half these days. Don't really feel it, mildly enjoyable, and helps with circadian rhythm quite a bit. I can also do a few ice teas with lunch and not have any impact on my sleep which is nice. It can definitely Improve health but it can be a long haul to get to that place.
Thanks, this really hit home. Whenever I start drinking coffee I always have great effects in the beginning and then end up escalating my consumption hoping that I will eventually adapt to the higher intakes, but it always ends with things spiralling out of control and me swearing off all coffee for good. So just being consistent with a low daily consumption is the key you reckon?

Tarmander

Thanks, this really hit home. Whenever I start drinking coffee I always have great effects in the beginning and then end up escalating my consumption hoping that I will eventually adapt to the higher intakes, but it always ends with things spiralling out of control and me swearing off all coffee for good. So just being consistent with a low daily consumption is the key you reckon?

It has for me. I really tried to get 32 oz a day to work, and probably did that for 6-9 months. But no matter what I would get lower back pain and some bloating from it. When I lowered the amount those subsided. I also was influenced by some elderly people in good health who I talked to at a few health food stores. Many of them drink coffee, but just do a cup or two a day. So it is definitely OKAY to do a small amount, and I would say outside this forum, that is the norm.

I can tell you that our experiences differ in that coffee did not sit well with me at first, and overtime has felt better and better. In the beginning it actually caused quite a bit of depression, so that might make our results incongruent.

Last edited:

Sucrates

I had to make changes to tolerate it initially, there were/are definite benefits from coffee for me now though.

alywest

I think taking about 20mg of famotidine a day can help with the acidity issue, as well as take some of the edge off of the jitteriness for some reason. Also, taurine.

dbh25

I agree, low daily consumption.

alywest

I changed a lot of things. I think eating more carbs and less inflammatory fibres over a few months made the difference.

I agree and not being on an empty stomach when you drink coffee is important, as it lowers blood sugar. Ray Peat said on KMUD that eating carrots with the coffee can slow the absorption of caffeine so it's a good excuse to eat carrot salad or at least a few carrot sticks.

Tarmander

Could you explain this more please? What times you drink it to help circadian rhythm etc?
Drinking Coffee in the morning, for people who are relatively undisciplined, which I have been in years past, can structure your energy in a way that your peak output is during daylight hours, and you are lazy and tired during night time hours. A big sign of dysfunction in people is when that swaps and people are lazy all day and then bam at night they wake up and start being productive. That is just stress hormones speaking. I will make the exception that some really productive past geniuses, composers, writers, etc have been night owls.

lampofred

High dose caffeine is ruining my mental health but keeps giving me a better and better head of hair. I've gone beyond having just a full head of hair to a very lush and thick full head of hair.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals